View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
NnitisOffline
Post subject: Issues with 3.3-0.slh.1  PostPosted: 21.03.2012, 20:40

I upgraded a T400 ThinkPad yesterday to kernel 3.3-0.slh.1 and I've noticed a few issues since then. First, I have three error messages at the beginning of the boot that do not appear when I boot into kernel 3.2-11.slh.3. Two of those messages (sans values) read roughly as follows: "A TPM error (6) has occurred when reading a PCR value." The third message is a "COMRESET failed" message that goes by too quickly for me to catch it all.

Thinking I might purge and re-install, I booted into 3.2-11.slh.3 and tried to use kernel-remover. It reported that there was only one kernel installed.

I have a 64-bit virtual machine fully up to date with 3.3-0.slh.1 installed. While it does not show the same error messages when booting, I cannot uninstall the kernel with kernel-remover: using kernel-remover in an earlier kernel boot, I get the same report as above, that only one kernel is installed.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Code:
 inforbash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "pilgrime-III" running Linux 3.2-11.slh.3-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-01 Γῆρας - kde-lite - (201102051540) ]
CPU Info        2x Intel Core2 Duo P8700 @ 3072 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 2534.000 MHz ]
Videocard       Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller     [  ]
Network cards   Intel 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection, at port: 1840
                Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
Processes 147 | Uptime 21min | Memory 552.9/3856.6MB | HDD HITACHI HTS72321 Size 160GB (63%used) | Client Shell | Infobash v3.45

NB: The T400 is a dual-graphics machine with an ATI adapter as well. I almost always run it with the integrated Intel adapter.

Reply with quote Back to top
x-un-i
Post subject: RE: Issues with 3.3-0.slh.1  PostPosted: 23.03.2012, 15:47
Team Member

Quote:

Thinking I might purge and re-install, I booted into 3.2-11.slh.3 and tried to use kernel-remover. It reported that there was only one kernel installed.

kernel remover (per design) will not remove the last kernel.

You still have the previous kernel and can choose it at boot time.

Besides that would be better to precise the errors that you are getting otherwise no one can help you

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

NnitisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.03.2012, 08:41

I'm sorry that I was not clear enough: When I tried to use kernel-remover to rid my machine of 3.3-0.slh.1, there were two kernels installed -- that one and 3.2-11.slh.3 -- and I had booted into the latter. Hence, it should have reported at least one inactive kernel -- to wit, 3.3-0.slh.1 -- but it reported that only one kernel was installed. Exactly the same results on the virtual machine with 3.3-0.slh.1 and another kernel installed. Interestingly enough, when I installed 3.3-0.slh.2, kernel-remover reported that 3.3-0.slh.1 was installed after reboot into the new kernel.

I've seen some articles via Google where somewhat similar errors seem to be reported, all of which apparently are linked to btrfs. Unless my file systems were surreptitiously converted without my knowledge, I do not have this file system installed. Could the reported errors be some sort of kernel glitch connected to checking for btrfs?

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.03.2012, 13:41

Can you try as root
      Code:
update-grub
then do
      Code:
kernel-remover

any difference ?

NnitisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.03.2012, 17:14

I cannot do this on the T400 as I've already removed 3.3-0.slh.1: 3.3-0.slh.1 was one of the kernels appearing when I ran kernel-remover after installing 3.3-0.slh.2 and booting into it, so I uninstalled 3.3-0.slh.1.

I tried your suggestion on the 64-bit virtual machine, though, and no love -- 3.3.0.slh.1 was not shown as installed when I rebooted into 3.2-9.slh.4; kernel-remover still reported only one kernel installed.

I installed 3.3-0.slh.3 on the virtual machine, booted into it and ran kernel-remover. 3.3-0.slh.1 was reported as installed, along with 3.2-9.slh.4. I then booted into 3.2-9.slh.4 and ran kernel-remover. Now at this point, both 3.3-0.slh.1 and 3.3-0.slh.3 are installed in addition to 3.2-9.slh.4. But when I ran kernel-remover while booted into 3.2-9.slh.4, it only reported 3.3-0.slh.1 installed. It did not report the most recent kernel, 3.3-0.slh.3, installed. Similarly, when I ran kernel-remover while booted in 3.3-0.slh.1, it only reported 3.2-9.slh.4 installed and did not report the most recent kernel, 3.3-0.slh.3, installed.

I don't know what to make of this, though it does not appear to affect functions, so far as I can tell, beyond limiting my ability to uninstall the most recent kernel.

As for the error messages I reported after installing 3.3-0.slh.1, those persist now that I've installed 3.3-0.slh.2 on the T400. I'll be installing 3.3-o.slh.3 on the T400, but I'm expecting the same error messages to continue.

NnitisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.03.2012, 17:55

I've installed 3.3-0.slh.3 on the T400. There are now three kernels installed: 3.3-0.slh.3, 3.3-0.slh.2, and 3.2-11.slh.3.

Kernel-remover oddities seem to have disappeared on the T400. When I boot into each kernel, running kernel-remover reports the other two as installed, as expected.

One of the error reports I first mentioned -- the COMRESET error -- no longer shows when the kernel is first loading. (I finally was able to see that the error (errno=16) was related to ata2, my Matshita dvd drive.) The TPM errors persist, and I still do not have any idea what is causing these.

x-un-i
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.03.2012, 09:28
Team Member

Nnitis wrote:
I'm sorry that I was not clear enough: When I tried to use kernel-remover to rid my machine of 3.3-0.slh.1, there were two kernels installed -- that one and 3.2-11.slh.3 -- and I had booted into the latter. Hence, it should have reported at least one inactive kernel -- to wit, 3.3-0.slh.1 -- but it reported that only one kernel was installed. Exactly the same results on the virtual machine with 3.3-0.slh.1 and another kernel installed. Interestingly enough, when I installed 3.3-0.slh.2, kernel-remover reported that 3.3-0.slh.1 was installed after reboot into the new kernel.

Did you noticed that the kernel-remover **never** shows neither the running kernel nor the last one?

The last one is reported in the title of the list of kernels available for removal.

(This behaviour is/was the intended tool's purpose)

domiciusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.03.2012, 11:41

x-un-i, did the behavior of kernel-remover then change recently as I think it used to only protect you from removing the *currently running* kernel and you could easily remove the most recent version of your kernel if you weren't running it. Or am I mistaken and it has always been working like this? I can't find anything in the changelog so I could very well be mistaken. Wink

NnitisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.03.2012, 15:21

x-un-i wrote:
      Quote:
Did you noticed that the kernel-remover **never** shows neither the running kernel nor the last one?

I noticed this result if I ran kernel-remover before my first boot into the last installed kernel. But after that, if the last installed kernel was not currently running and I ran kernel-remover, it showed the last installed kernel as one of the options for removal. This is exactly what happens on my machine now. As domicius wrote, kernel-remover seemed to protect against uninstalling only the currently active kernel.

I have three kernels installed, the last one being 3.3-0.slh.3. Below are the results when I run kernel-remover while booted into either of the other two kernels:

Code:
root@pilgrime-III:/home/nnitis# uname -a
Linux pilgrime-III 3.2-11.slh.3-aptosid-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Mar 17 01:00:27 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@pilgrime-III:/home/nnitis# kernel-remover
Removing installed kernels
--------------------------

The actual (active) kernel is 3.2-11.slh.3-aptosid-amd64

( )  1. 3.3-0.slh.2-aptosid-amd64
 ( )  2. 3.3-0.slh.3-aptosid-amd64

Option number (0 ends):

and

Code:
root@pilgrime-III:/home/nnitis# uname -a
Linux pilgrime-III 3.3-0.slh.2-aptosid-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Mar 23 00:24:45 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@pilgrime-III:/home/nnitis# kernel-remover
Removing installed kernels
--------------------------

The actual (active) kernel is 3.3-0.slh.2-aptosid-amd64

( )  1. 3.2-11.slh.3-aptosid-amd64
 ( )  2. 3.3-0.slh.3-aptosid-amd64

Option number (0 ends):

If I understand what you've written, then I should not get these results. Is thst right?

x-un-i
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.03.2012, 15:38
Team Member

Quote:

If I understand what you've written, then I should not get these results. Is thst right?

You have remove the indicator that you always want to keep the last kernel: The kernel-metapackage.

your kernels are no longer updated automatically on dist-upgrade.

NnitisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.03.2012, 16:38

Both linux-image-2.6-aptosid-amd64 and linux-headers-2.6-aptosid-amd64 are installed and my kernel updates automatically when I d-u. Is there a configuration option for the metapackage or for kernel-remover that removes the indicator to keep the last kernel? I don't recall being presented with one when I installed aptosid, but it's been a long time and I have probably forgotten.

x-un-i
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.03.2012, 16:57
Team Member

those are not the metapackages ( besides that are too old current aptosid kernel is 3.3-0.slh-3

the metapackages are
      Code:

linux-image-aptosid-686   resp. linux-image-aptosid-amd64
linux-headers-aptosid-686 resp. linux-headers-aptosid-amd64

Code:

root@comus:~# apt-cache show linux-image-aptosid-amd64
Package: linux-image-aptosid-amd64
Priority: extra
Section: metapackages
Installed-Size: 309

NnitisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.03.2012, 18:18

My error. Both linux-image-aptosid-amd64 and linux-headers-aptosid-amd64 are installed. Is there a configuration option for these or for kernel-remover that removes the indicator to keep the last kernel?

x-un-i
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.03.2012, 19:47
Team Member

removing the metapackages is the indicator ( because these are depending always on the last kernel)

Jump to: