View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hyOffline
Post subject: Can not connect to a nearby hotspot  PostPosted: 26.03.2012, 18:00

Just moved into another town and it will take up to six weeks until I am having Internet in the house.

But i found a provider who has several hotspots in the area. The next to my house is 200 m away.

It is pretty expensive - but there is no other useful option. Because the surfsticks locally offered are very(!) slow (and they said, it won't work with Linux and w/o internet I am not going through the trouble of trying to install something ...)

Using Ceni I can't find the public hotspots.
Is there anything I can do- using another program?

The service provider says, you just have to use the WLAN supplied and enter credentials throug his website.
Any help appreciated.

[Edit:] My provider mailed me,that my WLAN Hardware is too weak. I have a laptop (three of them actually). I would appreciate links to an affordable priced USB-WLAN-Modem
(or whatever tey're called. i am not too much inhardware anymore.)
thanks in advance

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Can not connect to a nearby hotspot  PostPosted: 26.03.2012, 20:54
Team Member

200m? That is quiet a bit of space (that's more than a soccer-field!) - especially as it is properly not open space, but walls, trees and all that stuff in between…

If it's a laptop try to get closer to the hotspot for testing. Ensure also that you have cdra installed so that every in (your jurisdiction) allowed wlan channel is accessible.

Oh, and from the social engineering front-line: Ask one of your new neighbors if you can use his wlan until yours is ready.

hyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Can not connect to a nearby hotspot  PostPosted: 26.03.2012, 21:11

DonKult wrote:
200m? That is quiet a bit of space (that's more than a soccer-field!) - especially as it is properly not open space, but walls, trees and all that stuff in between…

Atually I can see the hotspot from my terrace...

DonKult wrote:
If it's a laptop try to get closer to the hotspot for testing. Ensure also that you have cdra installed so that every in (your jurisdiction) allowed wlan channel is accessible.

Ah,that's new to me...

DonKult wrote:

Oh, and from the social engineering front-line: Ask one of your new neighbors if you can use his wlan until yours is ready.

Sure i already established a friendship wih them. But they are very simple people. I didn't even expect they're using computers.
So my concerns are that all of them do not know their SSID neither the password. Because all Networks are named in a systematical way, I guess someone external did the setup for them.

But getting close to the people is always a good idea.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Can not connect to a nearby hotspot  PostPosted: 26.03.2012, 21:52

s/cdra/crda/

Real world range with ordinary gear on 2.4 GHz (less with 5 GHz, due to worse penetration through walls and stuff), ~30-35 metres at the very most, depending very much on the environment (expect <<10 metres indoors with concrete walls[1]) - less with USB cards or PCI/ PCIe cards in desktop computers; notebooks/ netbooks usually have the best antennas available.

In wlan terms, 200 metres is half an ocean away.

[1] I know places with less than 2 metres range in direct, unobstructed line of sight (thanks to interference)…

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Can not connect to a nearby hotspot  PostPosted: 26.03.2012, 23:10

I know that 200 m are a lot. But this provider claims to cover almost the whole island.

http://www.hotspots-lanzarote.de/

Jump to: