View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bmorencyOffline
15 Post subject: [SOLVED] digikam and dolphin keep crashing  PostPosted: 09.03.2012, 02:44

hi,

For some reason Dolphin (version 1.7) and digikam (version 1.9.0) keep crashing on me. Dolphin will crash on me every time my mouse cursor is over a video file. When I start digikam it will start to load and than disappear. I have just updated to kde 4.7.4 on AMD64 but this issue was happening before the upgrade.

I have tried to run both programs from the console and I receive the same error message.

Code:

[0x279fb20] main services discovery error: no suitable services discovery module
dolphin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/phonon_backend/phonon_vlc.so: undefined symbol: libvlc_audio_filter_list_get

[0x16865a0] main services discovery error: no suitable services discovery module
digikam: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/phonon_backend/phonon_vlc.so: undefined symbol: libvlc_audio_filter_list_get

For dolphin the above message will appear in the console when I mouse over a video file name and will appear when I start digikam the above message will appear.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? am I missing a package?

Thanks for any help.

edit: I found another issue and seems to be related. When I go into system settings and than click on multimedia than click phonon on the left system settings will close. In the console it gives me the following error.

Code:
[0x1f1ed50] main services discovery error: no suitable services discovery module
systemsettings: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/phonon_backend/phonon_vlc.so: undefined symbol: libvlc_audio_filter_list_get

When in the console I tried to see if the phonon_vlc.so is in that location and it is.

Last edited by bmorency on 10.03.2012, 00:55; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
bmorencyOffline
Post subject: RE: digikam and dolphin keep crashing  PostPosted: 09.03.2012, 20:57

Are these programs working fine for everyone else?

x-un-i
Post subject: RE: digikam and dolphin keep crashing  PostPosted: 09.03.2012, 21:07
Team Member

you could try to changing the primary phonon backend to GStreamer.

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

bmorencyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: digikam and dolphin keep crashing  PostPosted: 09.03.2012, 22:57

x-un-i wrote:
you could try to changing the primary phonon backend to GStreamer.

To change the backend do I go into system-settings than mulitmedia than click phonon? If this is the way than systems settings will crash on me so that will not work. Is there a way to change it using the console?

bmorencyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: digikam and dolphin keep crashing  PostPosted: 10.03.2012, 00:55

I have solved the issue. I removed vlc-data along with it's dependancies which included phonon-backend-vlc. Now dolphin, digikam and system-settings do not crash for me. Now the only backend I have installed is gstreamer. I guess there is just something wrong with the phonon-backend-vlc package.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: digikam and dolphin keep crashing  PostPosted: 10.03.2012, 01:04

bmorency wrote:
I have solved the issue. I removed vlc-data along with it's dependancies which included phonon-backend-vlc. Now dolphin, digikam and system-settings do not crash for me. Now the only backend I have installed is gstreamer. I guess there is just something wrong with the phonon-backend-vlc package.

There is a known issue with the vlc backend and I now use the gstreamer backend and it works quite well. Shame the Xine one had to go as it worked well for me

x-un-i
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: digikam and dolphin keep crashing  PostPosted: 10.03.2012, 19:39
Team Member

on my laptop ( i386) i have the vlc backend from phonon aktiv and have no issues both kaffeine and vlc work smoothly.

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: dolphin problems.  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 12:46

with a kde full/amd64 system(not upgraded to the new kde yet) i haven't experienced a dolphin crash.

HOWEVER, very frequently when opening a video file through Dolphin, the usage on my PhenomIIx4 cpu has gone very high, the temperature VERY VERY high (alarms sounding) until i killed Dolphin.

just closing the window wasn't enough to stop the usage/temp spike, i had to use pkill or stop the process through the system monitor app.

i can't remember if this has happened using kaffeine, as i use vlc most of the time.

all the best, ike.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: dolphin problems.  PostPosted: 14.03.2012, 12:52
Team Member

If anyone has problems with VLC, he most likely installed stuff from 3rd party repositories - against our continious warnings.
VLC plus all it's libs and plugins directly from Debian Sid is just working fine and stable.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
bmorencyOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: dolphin problems.  PostPosted: 16.03.2012, 23:27

slam wrote:
If anyone has problems with VLC, he most likely installed stuff from 3rd party repositories - against our continious warnings.
VLC plus all it's libs and plugins directly from Debian Sid is just working fine and stable.
Greetings,
Chris

Just to let you know that the repos that I use are only the standard repos. I have never used any 3rd party repos before so I am not sure why I was having these issues.

teelittleOffline
21 Post subject: Summary: phonon backends / changing vlc to gstreamer  PostPosted: 29.03.2012, 00:09

Hi,

I had the same issue since last week after my regular dist-upgrade, and the solutions mentioned above didn't solve my problems. So, here I want to share my findings:

* Konqueror crashed when I highlighted any multimedia file while the metadata info panel (<F11>) was active.
* Digikam crashed predictably on start, complaining "digikam: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/qt4/plugins/phonon_backend/phonon_vlc.so".

Here's the big picture (for the plain people like me):
Phonon is a full multimedia API for KDE 4 applications, having replaced the previous thing called "aRTs" (which was a sound server only). Now, a KDE application can rely on Phonon for playing/recording sounds, videos, etc. - be it in a Linux, Windows or MacOS context.
Phonon itself just provides this API, the real work has to be done by something else - the backend, of which there are multiple available.
Backends are often based around well-known multimedia players like xine, **removed**, VLC (Xine, for example, has been used as a backend for Phonon, but the xine backend is in "unsupported" state nowadays).
Currently, it looks like VLC and GStreamer are the backends to use (apart from the "Null" or "Fake" backend that does nothing and serves testing purposes only).

Now, as phonon-backend-vlc seemed the component that troubled me, I tried what was proposed in a previous post here: uninstall vlc-data.
Luckily, I ran apt-get with -s option first (simulate), so I saw that this operation would have resulted in removal of most KDE packages (due to apt-get resolving dependencies), which obviously was NOT the solution..

Trying to change the backend used by Phonon in KDE's system settings window resulted in a crash once I opened that window and klicked on "Multimedia", then "phonon" in the left pane.
So, the interactive way to exchange the backend was blocked.

Finally, i found that you can do the following:
* apt-get install phonon-backend-gstreamer
=> thus you'll have a second backend available
* apt-get remove phonon-backend-vlc
=> (works without error and leaves other KDE packages untouched now, because now there is an alternative Phonon backend left over...)

The only open question is now: How can I manually (no mouse) change priority of phonon backends (as seen in KDE's system settings)?

Good luck (and thanks to the dev's for this great distro!)
Thomas

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: Summary: phonon backends / changing vlc to gstreamer  PostPosted: 06.04.2012, 16:44

Hi thomas! Thanks for your hint. I guess your proposal saved me a lot of time, after I experienced similar misbehaviour after du last night.

Mte90Offline
Post subject: RE: Summary: phonon backends / changing vlc to gstreamer  PostPosted: 10.04.2012, 12:42

i have the same problem.
every time that i open qcreator this report that phononvlc have a problem.
i use vlc of **removed** repo.

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Summary: phonon backends / changing vlc to gstreamer  PostPosted: 10.04.2012, 13:08
Team Member

Mte90 wrote:
...i use vlc of **<a>removed</a>** repo.
Well, that's exactly the source of your problem.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: