View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
kb0haeOffline
Post subject: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 15.04.2012, 23:23

This originally occurred after a d-u about 2 weeks ago. I had not done a d-u for about 2 months before that. after the d-u the vertical scrollpad function worked only after moving the mouse cursor abou 3/4 of a page up or down, I discovered that kde-konfig-touchpad had been removed, and had been renamed kde-config-touchpad. installing kde-config-touchpad allowed me to adjust things to cure that problem.

The real problem is that the mouse would freeze at random intervals for 20-40 seconds, then would work normally until the next freeze. I found that the computer is not frozen, but when the freeze happens, keyboard shortcuts like alt-f4 don't work. Audio files playing before the freeze do not stop, but if they end during the freeze, the next song will start only after the freeze ends. I did have the libcairo problem, its on hold now.

I was able to back up things, and did a fresh install of the latest aptosid-lite 32 bit. Everything worked fine until I did a d-u. It was a big d-u. Afterwards, the freezes started again. I have also lost the touchpad settings that I have made a couple of times (see the touchpad issue above).

Hardware is an IBM Thinkpad T43, 1.8 Ghz P4 Centrino , 2 gig ram, 80 gig hard drive. I an using the touchpad only, no external mouse. I have no problems in Win-XP Pro which is installed in a dual boot configuration on this laptop. No mouse freezes in XP at all.

Any ideas as to the cause/cure? I have googled, but not found anything about this exact problem.

Reply with quote Back to top
hiltongilOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 16.04.2012, 22:15

Location: Contry: Brazil, Estate: Rio Grande do Sul, City: Parobé
I have a problem like this. I solve going back a version of the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics i use the version 1.5.0-2. Try download this version of the package and after remove the newest: (apt-get purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptic) and dpkg -i xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.5.0-2_amd64.deb or xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.5.0-2_i386 if you have a 32b system. Them reboot the computer.
Sorry for my bad english.

kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 18.04.2012, 14:38

Thanks for the tip, I will try this when I have time later.
TTYL

kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 19.04.2012, 06:51

I cannot find xserver-xorg-input-synaptics_1.5.0-2_i386. Versions that I can find are 1.4xxx and older. I may try the version from testing. What do you think?

kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 19.04.2012, 22:47

Well, I tried the older version, but it cant complete the install...dependency error. its looking for a file created by or contained in an older xorg package than the currently installed package.

So I am back with the same synaptic driver that randomly freezes. Any other ideas? I also notice that once in a while when I try to highlight text that the cursor suddenly jumps to the top left corner of the screen.

hiltongilOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 20.04.2012, 01:23

hi kb0hae
send me a e-mail, and i send you the archive. I search the version 1.5.0 in the debian website and i can't find the link. You need de 32b or 64b version?
see ya

kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 20.04.2012, 05:37

Hi. My email is kb0hae@mchsi.com. I would really appreciate you sending me that deb file!
Thanks!

kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 21.04.2012, 04:02

I have purged the current xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, and installed the version that you sent. Works so far with no freezes, more time using this laptop will tell. Thanks again! Very Happy

hiltongilOffline
Post subject: RE: Odd problem.  PostPosted: 24.04.2012, 01:42

That's good.
Well, i don't know how can i do to send that information (about this bug) to developers, but if anyone know it's very nice, because at the latest version i still have the same problems. And the only way to fix is purge de newest package and reintal the old version (1.5.0).

Jump to: