View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JörgOffline
Post subject: aptosid-ponos-kde-lite-amd64 initial install  PostPosted: 10.07.2012, 09:47

After initial install of aptosid-ponos ... and following first dist-upgrade 792 packages will be upgraded, 84 packages will be newly installed and:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
kdebase-data (4.6.5-1)
kdebase-runtime-data (4.6.5-1)
kdebase-workspace-data (4.6.5-4)
kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins (4.6.5-4)
libgd2-noxpm (2.0.36~rc1~dfsg-6.1)
libplasmaclock4abi1 (4.6.5-4)
libtaskmanager4abi1 (4.6.5-4)
linux-sound-base (1.0.23+dfsg-4)
smbfs (5.2-1)

Except for kdebase-data, linux-sound-base and smbfs, the remaining 6 packages will replaced by new ones.

The first time I made a DU, I got the message:
Warning: Cannot open ConsoleKit session: unable to open session: The permission of the setuid helper is not correct.

What do I have to do to make the next DU successful, or do I have to wait for the forthcoming aptosid-version.

Thank you for any help in advance,
and greetings

Jorg

Reply with quote Back to top
ruebe99Offline
Post subject: RE: aptosid-ponos-kde-lite-amd64 initial install  PostPosted: 12.07.2012, 15:08

I can confirm: aptosid-ponos-kde-lite-amd64 can not d-u after initial install. Same for the aptosid-2011-03-ponos-kde-full-i386-amd64. So for a fresh installed amd64 system all d-u will fail right now.
Cheers,
ruebe99

ganymedOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.07.2012, 15:56

Looks like aptosid is gradually turning into an obituary distro.}:-] Hail to thee, my long friend...

vlly-sprtlOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.07.2012, 16:32

I noticed this a few weeks ago when I did an install in a machine at my son's apartment. Kde has upgraded since that install disk was put together. Some of the packages are being removed simply because of the kde upgrade. I spent hours of comparing package dependencies back and forth. I found a couple of packages which one other package needed, but a slightly older version of those packages worked, and that allowed other upgrades to work. It took long enough and I was in a hurry to get on to other activities and I can't remember which packages. Looking back it reminds me of untangling complexly knotted fishing line so I could get back to fishing, when I was a kid. I had to slow down with a few deep breaths and take it a small step at a time.

Anyway, look at the dependencies of all the packages which are going to be removed, both what a package depends on and what pagckages depend on it. aptitude is nice for this.
Some of the "going to be removed" packages are depended on by some other package which is also going to be removed, and therefore are "no longer needed". So you may need to look through several levels of dependencies.

I used dpkg several times for the installs and removes, including at least one "force" , because apt choked on it for a while until I untangled the knot. That is, use aptitude to research the dependencies, then exit aptitude, because dpkg does not seem to run if aptitude is running.
Although if you can figure it out with only apt-get and aptitude more power to you.
Sorry I can't remember everything. I hope this helps.

JörgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.07.2012, 08:45

With thanks to DonKult's advice (see: Software >> dist-upgrade error of 04-07-2012):

Code:
apt-get update
dpkg --configure --pending
dpkg --force-depends --remove kdebase-data
apt-get install --fix-broken
apt-get dist-upgrade

my DU-problem is completely solved.

Greetings,
Jorg

//edit by DonKult: add link to text referring to the post and warp the commands in code-tags.

Jump to: