View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
oddballOffline
Post subject: Cant mount usb as user on remote computer  PostPosted: 18.08.2012, 10:36

I have aptosid xfce on a remote computer (RC) since very long time, since some time (long time) I am not able to mount any usb units without being root.

The (RC) is started in runlevel 3, vncserver is started as user from remote with ssh. Then I manage the (RC) with vnc from different other computers. The policykit.... is installed.

It would be nice to be able to mount usb as normal, any ideas?

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Cant mount usb as user on remote computer  PostPosted: 18.08.2012, 15:22

I'd suggest to check if mounting USB succeeds through a local session. If it does, like it should, you may have to add rules for consolekit - which distinguishes between local- and remote access.

The purpose of all these new-fangled *kits is to create a framework of access right management - a mere user sitting on the local system should be able to shut down the system (after all he( she could just yank the cable as well), while the same useraccount, if used remotely, should not be able to shut down the system, while local users might still need it.

oddballOffline
Post subject: RE: Cant mount usb as user on remote computer  PostPosted: 18.08.2012, 18:58

I did a little checking working with the remote computer locally as you suggested slh.

First I logged in my user, then did "startx", that made me not able to mount usb as user.

On the next try I first did "init 5" as root (su) and then logged in my user through the gui, now it worked like it shall, I could mount the usb disk as user.

I realise that the later try is like it would be on a normal used computer.

What shall I do now for going further to solve this?

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Cant mount usb as user on remote computer  PostPosted: 18.08.2012, 20:13

startx starts an X session - nothing else, it does not start the whole whizzbang around it - like consolekit, eventually DBus, stuff like that. Modern desktop environments tend to require the aid of a modern displaymanager.

oddballOffline
Post subject: RE: Cant mount usb as user on remote computer  PostPosted: 18.08.2012, 21:32

OK, so I should not bother with this and go on mounting my usb as root then?

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Cant mount usb as user on remote computer  PostPosted: 18.08.2012, 22:30

No, but the way you're using that system is not envisoned by the access control system enforced by policykit - which tends to give local users elevated access (beyond what was typically granted to mere users), while restricting remote users. In order to still accomplish what you want the system to do, you'd have to either reconfigure policykit (relaxing rules is puts into force) or find other ways to grante the user elevated system access despite logging in remotely (sudo might do that). As usual with UN*X like operating systems, there are multiple ways to accomplish tasks.

oddballOffline
Post subject: RE: Cant mount usb as user on remote computer  PostPosted: 19.08.2012, 07:47

slh, thank you for your support, maybe I will take my time to find out a way same day. I can live with the situation as it is, we will see Smile

Jump to: