View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Luis_POffline
15 Post subject: Web browser issue [solved]  PostPosted: 15.10.2012, 11:35

From a few days, I've a very annoying problem with my browsers. When trying to access to a web page which needs to be identified (user name and password), the browser hangs. No matter which browser I am using (iceweasel, midori, Opera), it is no possible to access if the web page asks for identification.

I suspected that xulrunner is the culprit, because this package has recently changed. I've loaded all the xulrunner packages
      Code:

lluis@myxbox:~$ dpkg-query -l | grep ii | grep xulrunner
ii  xulrunner-1.9.1                           1.9.1.19-3                        amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-10.0                            10.0.8esr-1                       amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-13.0                            13.0-1                            amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-15.0                            15.0.1-1                          amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-16.0                            16.0.1-1                          amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-5.0                             5.0-6                             amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-6.0                             6.0.2-1                           amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-7.0                             7.0.1-4                           amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-8.0                             8.0-3+b1                          amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
ii  xulrunner-9.0                             9.0.1-1                           amd64        XUL + XPCOM application runner
lluis@myxbox:~$

but no success.

If someone has a clue, I'll be very grateful because for my job I must enter into some web pages which need identification.

Luis_P.

Last edited by Luis_P on 21.12.2012, 11:11; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOnline!
Post subject: RE: Web browser issue  PostPosted: 15.10.2012, 12:07

Since opera and midori even don't work, xulrunner can't be the culprint, both browser does not use xulrunner.

Luis_POffline
Post subject: RE: Web browser issue  PostPosted: 15.10.2012, 13:09

Well, xulrunner is not the culprit, but who is?

I've also had suspicions about jre, java, icedtea and all this family, but I've got lost.

Regards.

Luis_P.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Web browser issue  PostPosted: 15.10.2012, 13:28
Team Member

I doubt it is java related either, but you can always try removing the lot of it to confirm if you have any real reason to suspect it.

A wild guess it that it is more likely tor or some proxy (or the network itself) is causing the problem. Trying with a livecd/usb should confirm if the problem is really a software one on your computer rather then something to do with the network outside it.

If the problem is really in your computer, going back to your apt logs to see what was upgraded or newly installed might give you a clue (I'd also give another new clean user a test to confirm if they have the same problem).

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.10.2012, 17:30

Quote:
you can always try removing the lot of it to confirm if you have any real reason to suspect it.

I've near a hundred of java-related packages. I will erase all of them and reinstall the needed ones. Which are actually needed?

Quote:
A wild guess it that it is more likely tor or some proxy (or the network itself) is causing the problem.

No, it is not a network related problem. Another machine connected to the web through the same domestic LAN runs fine and a live disk (another distro) running in my computer can connect without problems.

It is a software issue because another user which I've added also has the same problem. And it is independent from the browser. I've also added Chromium whith no success.

Quote:
going back to your apt logs to see what was upgraded or newly installed might give you a clue

Right, but which package is relevant? Last d-u before the problem arose, upgraded about eighty packages. I can give you the output of /var/log/apt/history, if you want.

Thanks for your support.

Luis_P.

Edit:
More info: For uploading this post it has been necessary go to a live disk; my system was not able to upload it.

Luis_POffline
Post subject: Java contradictions  PostPosted: 17.10.2012, 09:33

I don't know if java is responsible for the problem explained in the first post, but there is something wrong about java in my computer. First of all, Java is present:
      Code:

lluis@myxbox:~$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_07"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.2) (7u7-2.3.2a-1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)
lluis@myxbox:~$

but I cannot run web pages which have a java applet (for instance this one). A warning saying "a plugin is needed to display this content" appears. If I click "install plugin", iceweasel's plugin finder service takes to java runtime environment 1.7 u7 which is no available and sends to a manual install in http://java.com/es/download/index.jsp. There are some Linux packages, but, unfortunately, there is no any deb package, only rpm. I've downloaded one of them and tried to convert to deb using alien, but no luck.

On the other hand, I thought there was some symlink problems. I tried to run update-java-alternatives which gives me a lot of errors:

Code:
root@myxbox:/# update-java-alternatives -a
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for appletviewer
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for extcheck
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for idlj
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jar
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jarsigner
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javac
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javadoc
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javah
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for javap
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jcmd
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jconsole
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jdb
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jhat
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jinfo
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jmap
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jps
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jrunscript
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jsadebugd
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jstack
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jstat
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for jstatd
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for mozilla-javaplugin.so
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for native2ascii
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for rmic
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for schemagen
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for serialver
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for wsgen
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for wsimport
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for xjc
root@myxbox:/#

Can someone light up these contradictions? Thanks in advance.

Luis_P

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Java contradictions  PostPosted: 17.10.2012, 11:17

apt-get install icedtea-7-plugin

Luis_POffline
Post subject: RE: Java contradictions  PostPosted: 19.10.2012, 11:52

slh wrote:
apt-get install icedtea-7-plugin

This allows see web pages with java applet, but the original problem persists.

Another one has been added: I can't send mail messages with attached file. There is something rotten in my system. I'm afraid that I must reinstall all it. Is Thanatos still far?

Luis_POffline
Post subject: Problem persist.  PostPosted: 27.10.2012, 19:18

Despite a new installation the problem persist.

Because it is a very grave issue that turns the system useless, I beg to the expert people of this forum some possible solution. Symptoms:

- I can't access to a web page which needs to be identified (user name and password).

- It is not possible to send any e-mail which has an attached file. Emails without attached files are sent with no problems.

- I am no able to send any file through a ftp client (FileZilla). The transfer starts, but hangs.

- Nor to send any commit to a svn server.

More info: It is not a net issue, because others computers on the same local net can sent any file as usual. Nor a hardware problem, because I'm sending this post by my (the same) machine with another OS (don't worry: no win*, nor ubu* Wink). I've been forced to install it, but being accustomed to aptosid, another OS doesn't fit my taste. On the other hand, my aptosid is totally dist-upgraded.

Thanks in advance.

Luis_P.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem persist.  PostPosted: 28.10.2012, 13:20
Team Member

It's strange and obviously not a common problem. Did it work again before you dist-upgraded (or does it work from an aptosid livecd)? About the only thing I can think of is maybe you are missing a firmware for your network card?

piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem persist.  PostPosted: 28.10.2012, 16:52

What happens when you run
      Code:
update-alternatives --config java

Luis_POffline
Post subject: Maybe solved  PostPosted: 28.10.2012, 22:25

There is some new (and important) info. As said, I've reinstalled aptosid and dist-upgraded as usual. Furthermore a lot of packages being upgraded, the kernel was also upgraded, logically. And the system presented all the problems explained before.

But I've not run kernel-remover, so the old kernel (see output of infobash) was still in the machine. It is the kernel coming with the live disk (aptosid Ponos 64 bit Xfce) and booting with this old kernel there are no problems Very Happy
      Code:
lluis1@aptosidbox1:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "aptosidbox1" running Linux 3.1-6.slh.1-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2011-03 Πόνος - xfce - (201112312100) ]
CPU Info        2x AMD Athlon II X2 250 1024 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 800.000 MHz ]
Videocard       Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RV730 PRO [Radeon HD 4650]  X.Org 1.12.4  [ 1280x1024@60.0hz ]
Network cards   Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
                NVIDIA MCP77
Processes 132 | Uptime 3min | Memory 289.1/2008.3MB | HDD Maxtor 6Y080L0,ST3250318AS Size 332GB (12%used) | GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x209) | GLX Version Yes | Client Shell | Infobash v3.45
lluis1@aptosidbox1:~$

Then, from my ignorance, I think it is a kernel (perhaps module) issue. I agree with bfree that is strange that no more people have been concerned.

Thanks a lot for your interest.

Luis_P.

muchan
Post subject: RE: Maybe solved  PostPosted: 29.10.2012, 13:52

From other thread pointing to this:
http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... 5673#15673

I see you have reinstalled the system but using the same configuration files for your
applications (web browser)? in this case, if the problem is in config files, you don't
see any improvement... you can try creating new user, and try the web browser.

Luis_POffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Maybe solved  PostPosted: 30.10.2012, 13:37

muchan wrote:
I see you have reinstalled the system but using the same configuration files for your
applications (web browser)? in this case, if the problem is in config files, you don't
see any improvement... you can try creating new user, and try the web browser.

I've already tried with another user, but it is no possible to start iceweasel, as explained in this tread.

This occurs With kernel 3.1-6.slh.1 and also with 3.6-3.slh.2.

Regards.

Luis_P.

muchan
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Maybe solved  PostPosted: 02.11.2012, 12:41

but you mix things... you have tried new user before reinstallation,
you tried new insteration with old configuration.
So from what I see, you have never tried fresh configuration after
reinstallation. In other word, we don't know if pristine aptosid
after installation on your PC functions properly or not.

Jump to: