View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mikekgrOffline
Post subject: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 10:09

I found it very interesting so I copy the information here!

What do you think about? (it is sound magical to me)

For the reference:

https://lwn.net/Articles/406301/

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/cut

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 10:37
Team Member

Well, we will see how this project develops. Said that, Aptosid is exactly that - just using sid instead of testing, in order to really have recent packages and fixes, together with latest security patches. Add that we do have some years of experience in our team in providing this kind of rolling release, while the Cut team still has to show it's first release - and how it will support it.
The article linked is well written, and does mention the problems the CUT team will face.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
spacepenguinOffline
Post subject: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 10:40

Doesn't Mint Debian want to go the same way (testing, rolling)?

mikekgrOffline
Post subject: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 10:56

Yes Chris,
I DO agree with you (by the way I know what sidux/aptosid was/is and what have achieved for all these years). Anyway apart of aptosid, this I think is quite good move in the Debian world that the stable releases are way to rare and outdated at the day 1 of release...

Best Regards,
Mike Kranidis

P.S. There is also a live video explaining the basic of CUT if you have interest and free time see it at:
http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2010/debconf10/high/1359_1359_CUT_BoF.ogv

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 12:01

i agree very much that this would be a great step for debian. i had talked to many debian developers about that debian has to modernise itself in the sense of give users a flavour of debian that brings them recent packages. otherwise ubuntu and other derivates would gain more and more users and in the end debian developers would turn frustrated just delivering packages for a growing number of derivates.
the answer was always: we lack manpower to do this.
fortunately we now have a very active DL Stefano Zacchiroli, that is driving things forward. He is also right now fighting to open debian more to non-coders/packagers, so they can have a status in the project while doing translations, webdesign, PR work and the like. So, imho, debian is getting a good kick from the new debian leader. i talked to him in June and he seemed really dedicated to push his agenda and i think he will, to the benefit of debian.

greetz
devil

Last edited by devil on 04.10.2010, 12:41; edited 1 time in total

mikekgrOffline
Post subject: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 12:05

Very nice update devil. We (all linux community) need more action at GNU Linux Debian and so on... I believe that Windows 7 was/is in the right direction so we need to get organized!!! Thanks devil.

hubiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 14:28

mikekgr wrote:
I believe that Windows 7 was/is in the right direction

Huh?

Unfortunatelly I have to use a dual boot laptop because testing educational "Windows only" software and helping students with Windows getting into WLANS and helping them using Laptops (OS independent setup on our side) is part of my job.

It's my first Windows since Windows 2000, and in comparison: it just drives me nuts Wink

hubi

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 15:37

i had to install my first win7 somewhere today (never even seen it before) and it took ~ 2 hours to finish the install because there was a borked windows server 2008 on there and after a few tries to install over it i had to use commadline to format the partition before it would be so kind to install. happy i dont have to work with it.

greetz
devil

oddballOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 19:59

Is windows an OS, I have always thought it was a gaming platform?

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 04.10.2010, 20:05

I have also done a lot of W$ bashing, but Linux desktop would not be what it is today if W$ was not there.
The competition keeps you on the edge.

start2usefrsiduxOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 05.10.2010, 06:05

sid/aptosid is also kind-of frozen during debian testing freezing. Will this constantly usable testing debian (cut) suffer from this symptom?

By the way, great to hear Debian is revitalizing itself. I've always think Debian is and will always be a development platform for its derivatives and will never get out of its grave.

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 05.10.2010, 06:19

Quote:

I've always think Debian is and will always be a development platform for its derivatives and will never get out of its grave.

ouch Smile
this statement on a debian mailinglist would start one of the 'finest' flamewars ever Smile

greetz
devil

start2usefrsiduxOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 05.10.2010, 07:09

devil wrote:

ouch Smile
this statement on a debian mailinglist would start one of the 'finest' flamewars ever Smile

greetz
devil

Smile well, maybe it's time for me to make my mark in this world.

merlynOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 05.10.2010, 11:24

spacepenguin wrote:
Doesn't Mint Debian want to go the same way (testing, rolling)?

To be honest I'm not sure.

There has been a good deal of discussion in the Mint forums as to the 'benefits' and 'disadvantages' of moving to Debian (testing) as a base for their (Mint) release offerings.

Mint in the meantime has indeed released their first Debian (testing) variant.

Information on the release and download links are here, Linux Mint Debian.

Points of interest from the page linked above are compatibility; Debian not Ubuntu, and that it is by nature a 'rolling release'.

At present it is not a mainstream mint release per se, but primarily a community based effort (officially sanctioned), whose main contributor is known as iKey in the Mint community forums.

sidroOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: A constantly usable testing distribution...  PostPosted: 05.10.2010, 15:17

Debian Testing is for Desktop and workstation, nobody needs derivatives. Debian is a good choice for all you need.
For what X derivatives? For their tools?
Debian have good tools, He has/have best tools no neeed other tools.
I vote for Debian not for derivatives.
I prefer a good distribution not a lot X derivatives whit lots problems and poor tools.
We need to focus to help and development a good linux distro not to be a scrappy community.
We need to help aptosid and Debian to grow.
Personal I like aptosid and Debian. I don`t need other linux distro.
Please focus on what do you do.

Thanks form sidRo.

Jump to: