View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Crypto1971Offline
22 Post subject: Using a Touch Screen with aptosid  PostPosted: 16.02.2013, 19:45

Hi,

I have built a Media PC and I have connected an ELO 15 inch touchscreen to it. Thanks to the nice support hints on their web site I have got it working.

What I would like to know now is how I can improve handling of kde with the touch screen.

Until now, I have used the "normal" plasma desktop without particular adjustments for touch screen. But the icons are way too small to be operated nicely with a touch screen, and also most applications contain GUIs that are hard if not impossible to use with a touch screen.

I suspect that I will not be able to use just about any application as I have been used to do it until now, simply because not all applications will allow for operation with a touch screen.

I also understand that it would not be a good idea to attempt writing a dissertation on a touch screen.

But still I need a decent media playing application with large icons / buttons, suitable for hitting on a touch screen, and I need some way of turning kde into a IDE that offers large icons /buttons, too. I know that I can enlarge icons in the kde system settings, but the overall operation of kde still lacks ideas to work well with a touch screen. Does the plasma-netbook variant improve on this?

Another thing to think about:
It is often required to enter (short) text, be it when renaming a file, entering a password, or entering a URL in the browser. This requires a virtual keyboard. Can I make a virtual keyboard show up automatically whenever I have to enter text on the screen somewhere? Or do I always have to hit another button to start the virtual keyboard first, then enter the text, then close the keyboard myself?

I'll be happy to read about this here.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Crypto.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Using a Touch Screen with aptosid  PostPosted: 16.02.2013, 20:17

[disclaimer, I haven't used a touchscreen so far]

You can change the desktop icon size, it may also help to experiment with overriding the DPI value for your screen (at the expense of the amount of content that can be displayed at once).

If that system's main use case will be playback of different media, the different KDE shells might indeed help as well. For tasks like this, adding an IR remote might also be an improvement.

michaaa62Offline
Post subject: RE: Using a Touch Screen with aptosid  PostPosted: 16.02.2013, 20:58

The keyboard interaction must be integrated into the Desktop environment to know about text input fields. Gnome Accessibility have some nice features, but a very basic keyboard only Crying or Very sad and only for the core Gnome applications, not in iceweasel and others. Those devs worship their simple approach quite a bit Rolling Eyes .

You might take a look into the settings of YAWOS, Yet Another Wetab Operating System.
It uses KDE Software Collection, but it is Ubuntu-based. Therefore you will not be able to copy it exactly. But it is the most touch-friendly, still real PC interface, i came across.
It has two panels to the left and right with starters, task bar, system tray and uses kvkbd as keyboard with a separate starting button, but you have to enable and close it manually.

domiciusOffline
Post subject: RE: Using a Touch Screen with aptosid  PostPosted: 28.02.2013, 02:13

Crypto1971 wrote:
Does the plasma-netbook variant improve on this?

Have you not simply tried it?

I haven't but I'm interested in hearing your experiences with it.

And how about Plasma Active?

Jump to: