View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
someoneanywhereOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 07.08.2013, 14:02

redsid wrote:
      Quote:
OUCH!!!!

Now, let me be absolutely, positively sure I understand the situation correctly.

First, you let anyone's software, access to your computer.

Then, you let anyone locally, access to that software.

Is this the gist of it?

The most sophisticated software ever written would not survive that onslaught Shocked

I suppose you intend to be glib and flippant? Truly, your point is taken and accepted.
Yes, the other users were given root access. I may not be available for them weeks at a time. They still need to complete their work. There are only 2, as they are old UNIX in the blood mech. engineers, we have had only one similar experience with incompat. system updates since sidux 200902. Even that was rescued without re-installation or major system loss. I think that is a very good record.
But, as you say, time to close the hole and as we are all sliding closer to professional retirement they can be moved off my machine. Thank you.
Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
PraxisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.08.2013, 19:26

I found that when I tried a apt-get dist-upgrade it threatened to remove a big chunk of KDE in both aptosid and testing. My work-around was to just "apt-get install dolphin" and it upgraded the necessary parts of 4.10 and removed the incompatible parts of 4.8. Probably doing the same with any standard part of KDE would work, as well (e.g. upgrading amarok). After an 'apt-get autoremove' my DU progressed normally.

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.08.2013, 14:17

Depends on what ubuntu installed/removed on any one of your last dist-upgrades or upgrades since that repo was active

Your system *could be completely hosed, best advice, backup and start over, reinstall "clean"

There are many sites that have ubuntu/debian .debs and debian users download/install/swear and wonder why their systems aren't stable anymore, you see people on other forums that mix stable, testing, unstable, ubuntu ppa, and tell you nothing is wrong in what their doing until you see another post of an upgrade gone wrong or this/that was removed.

each to his/her own i guess, choice is great

as they are old UNIX in the blood mech. engineers - - these guys should know better

I *would* seriously plan a new install

slhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.08.2013, 18:09

I'm locking this topic here, the KDE 4.10 transition has been completed several weeks ago and there shouldn't be any open upgrade issues anymore. Therefore accumulating unrelated issues under this obsolete topic is just confusing. Remaining problems certainly deserve their own topics, where they can get full attention and can be targetted individually.

Remaining issues:
- apparently there may be conflicts with well-known, but unsupported and recommended against by Debian or us-, 3rd party repositories. Conflicts like these are to be expected by mixing repositories from different parties.
- kdepim2 has not reached the same maturity level (both in regards to the data migration and the core functionality itself) as its predecessor, as unfortunate as this is, there's not a whole lot Debian or we could do. kdepim2 upstream has long stopped maintaining kdepim v1 and the old kdepim v1 from KDE 4.4.7 won't work under KDE 4.10 without significant changes either.

Jump to: