View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
muchan
Post subject: ibus transition  PostPosted: 16.09.2013, 22:45

(for users who need exotic language input)

ibus is now in transition.

(1) in case ibus-setup fails, you need to install python-gi and gir1.2-gtk-3.0

(2) once above packages are installed, ibus-setup runs without fail.
But still, I cannont toggle ibus input on/off with Ctrl-Space, cannot set meaningful key combination to change input language.
(cannot set key combination without alfabet character. but often these key combinations are already used for software)

(3) if default input language on ibus is set, some software (like chromium, or some terminal emulators, etc.)
has input method menu at right click, and you may chose ibus or *none*.
Thus now I can write Japanese if absolutely needed. But not very comfortable changing input languages.

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: ibus transition  PostPosted: 20.09.2013, 23:50

Workaround for (2) and (3).

I used to switch input language as default (English) without ibus and other (Japanese and other languages)
with ibus (selecting input inside ibus), but now it's better to type all with ibus. Chosing English or Japanese (or other) on ibus. So Ctrl+Space to activate ibus is not neccessary.

If desktop has tray, you can see language icon. (because I was using window manager without tray,
I didn't see the icon.) With stalonetray I can switch input language with mouse.

Setting the short cut to change the input method (for now, Ctrl+Alt+i as trial) it's a little more comfortable.

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: