View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject: Dead USB peripherals with Linux 3.11-0.slh.1-aptosid-amd64  PostPosted: 22.09.2013, 09:56

Every kernel previous seems to be working fine, but every time I try updating to 3.11-0 or 3.11-1, I can't unlock my LVM partition, because neither my keyboard or mouse seem to function. They won't even emit any light, which makes me think my USB ports as a whole have died somehow. Unplugging and replugging does nothing, and the keyboard still works in the GRUB menu (thankfully), so I was able to downgrade back to 3.10-10.

I don't even get any errors when I install the kernels. They compile smoothly; it just doesn't respond to any input.

Hopefully this isn't a common issue that I missed the answer to somehow. I don't know if specificity is needed as to my hardware or anything.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Dead USB peripherals with Linux 3.11-0.slh.1-aptosid-amd  PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 00:09

Just to state the obvious(?), so you have an encrypted rootfs on lvm2 and can't enter the password, when the initramfs hooks prompt you for it?

Which version of initramfs-tools do you have installed?

If you still have more than one old/ working kernel installed, it would be great if you could refresh the initramfs of one of those, to rule out that being an issue (I'm thinking about the recent udev update). You can do that by booting into one of the old, working, kernel and running "update-initramfs -k $(uname -r) -u" as root.

If you still have an older PS/2 keyboard, it would be great if you could check that as well (in contrast to USB, PS/2 is not hotpluggable, so make sure to switch off your PC before (dis-)connecting any PS/2 device, as your mainboard might be permanently damaged otherwise).

gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Dead USB peripherals with Linux 3.11-0.slh.1-aptosid  PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 08:02

slh wrote:
Just to state the obvious(?), so you have an encrypted rootfs on lvm2 and can't enter the password, when the initramfs hooks prompt you for it?

Correct.

I ran the update-initramfs command, and that may have been the problem, because now it tries updating initramfs-tools when I run a dist-upgrade. But it also wants to remove forty other packages, most of which are xserver-related and would clearly break my display if I agreed to that. Dependency issues ahoy.

I didn't know when I encrypted my disk that I'd have to run update-initramfs regularly, and not just the one time when setting it up. So this is a learning experience.

EDIT: Oh! There might be an unrelated dist-upgrade issue with xserver at the moment. That's some odd timing on my part.

ANOTHER EDIT: Alright, so I ran "apt-get install initramfs-tools" and upgraded it singularly without bothering with a dist-upgrade for the moment. Then I tried upgrading the kernel and had the same dead peripherals. But initramfs-tools is no longer out of date. So I guess that's no longer a factor. Back into 3.10-10-slh.1 for now.

So now I have version 0.114 of initramfs-tools. I'll attempt finding an older keyboard in the morning.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Dead USB peripherals with Linux 3.11-0.slh.1-aptosid  PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 08:58
Team Member

gregfrankenstein wrote:
I didn't know when I encrypted my disk that I'd have to run update-initramfs regularly, and not just the one time when setting it up. So this is a learning experience.

No, you haven't, the initramfs for a kernel is built automatically if a new kernel is installed (and with the install of a few other packages as well). The initramfs of already installed kernels is just not updated, so that a dist-upgrade isn't effecting (negatively) older kernels – as updating all initramfs's would have meant for you that you could no longer boot any kernel currently.
(so slh suspicion is correct, "something" is breaking your setup currently irrespective of kernel version involved).

gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 09:20

Found an old PS/2 keyboard, upgraded the kernel again, and YES, it works. And once the password is entered and LVM2 is unlocked, the USB mouse lights back up and functions normally. It's as though whatever is killing the USB peripherals only does so during the initramfs stage.

gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 10:10

Found a variable in /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf called KEYMAP that was set to "n", so I tried setting it to "y". Didn't help.

gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 10:36

Attempted, as per this page, adding the following to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:

Code:
# USB keyboard at boot
usbcore
uhci_hcd
ehci_hcd
usbhid

Followed by updating initramfs again.

Didn't help.

bfreeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Dead USB peripherals with Linux 3.11-0.slh.1-aptosid  PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 17:07
Team Member

slh wrote:
If you still have more than one old/ working kernel installed, it would be great if you could refresh the initramfs of one of those, to rule out that being an issue (I'm thinking about the recent udev update). You can do that by booting into one of the old, working, kernel and running "update-initramfs -k $(uname -r) -u" as root.

Please read this bit again and ask questions if you are unsure what it means. The idea is to test an old kernel with an initramfs built using the current everything else (in particular udev) to determine if the problem is with the kernel itself or with something else (e.g. udev).

Sorry if I'm misreading your posts and you have tried this, but I don't think you have.

gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Dead USB peripherals with Linux 3.11-0.slh.1-aptosid  PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 22:02

bfree wrote:
Please read this bit again and ask questions if you are unsure what it means. The idea is to test an old kernel with an initramfs built using the current everything else (in particular udev) to determine if the problem is with the kernel itself or with something else (e.g. udev).

Sorry if I'm misreading your posts and you have tried this, but I don't think you have.

Ah. Sorry. I think I misunderstood a little bit and updated initramfs-tools before trying 3.11 again.

Booted into 3.10-10.slh.1-aptosid-amd64. Ran "update-initramfs -k $(uname -r) -u" as root. Rebooted back into 3.10-10. USB keyboard still works.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Dead USB peripherals with Linux 3.11-0.slh.1-apt  PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 22:18

O.k., then it would be interesting to compare the output of "lsusb" and "dmesg" of kernel 3.10 and 3.11 (keep the USB keyboard connected, but use the PS/2 keyboard to unlock the cryptoroot).

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Dead USB peripherals with Linux 3.11-0.slh.1-apt  PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 22:36

Another question, is your USB keyboard "special" in any way (extra media keys or something like that)?

gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.09.2013, 23:15

slh wrote:
O.k., then it would be interesting to compare the output of "lsusb" and "dmesg" of kernel 3.10 and 3.11 (keep the USB keyboard connected, but use the PS/2 keyboard to unlock the cryptoroot).

Fair warning: I named my disk "sexual_intercourse" because I'm not funny.

3.10-10.slh.1-aptosid-amd64:

lsusb

Code:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp. Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

dmesg

http://pastebin.com/ub5dWy6x

3.11-0.slh-1-aptosid-amd64:

lsusb

Code:
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 045e:00db Microsoft Corp. Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 V1.0
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

dmesg

http://pastebin.com/s5CdMCBJ

slh wrote:
Another question, is your USB keyboard "special" in any way (extra media keys or something like that)?

I'd say so.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Natural-Ergonomic-Keyboard-4000/dp/B000A6PPOK

slhOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 04.11.2013, 17:38

initramfs-tools 0.115, which was uploaded to Debian today, is supposed to fix this problem.

gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.11.2013, 09:04

slh wrote:
initramfs-tools 0.115, which was uploaded to Debian today, is supposed to fix this problem.

It did! Hooray!

Jump to: