View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
LatOffline
Post subject: Samba 4 hits sid  PostPosted: 13.10.2013, 11:25

I noticed in dist-upgrade that swat was to be removed. Later on noticed samba 4 left experimental and arrived to unstable. Reading the changelog I found that swat is now absolete

Code:
samba (2:4.0.6+dfsg-1) experimental; urgency=low

* Team upload.

[ Andrew Bartlett ]
  * Converted to full AD DC package on the basis of the 3.6 package
    - Samba now can be an Active Directory Domain controller

[ Steve Langasek ]
  * Make samba-common Conflicts: swat, which is now obsolete and no longer
    built from samba 4.0; the old versions of swat in the archive are
    incompatible with smb.conf from samba 4.0, so force them off the system
    to avoid configuration corruption.

-- Ivo De Decker <ivo>  Thu, 20 Jun 2013 21:51:49 +0200

What can be used now instead of swat? What actually is an Active Directory Domain controller and what changes are needed to be taken? I depend a lot of samba so I need to be careful with this transition.

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: Samba 4 hits sid  PostPosted: 13.10.2013, 13:09
Team Member

SWAT seems to have already declared itself unmaintained and (partially) insecure even before this (in debian anyway).

Quote:

SWAT is no longer actively maintained, and its default configuration is
not secure for use over an untrusted network. SWAT will also rewrite
smb.conf, rearranging the entries and deleting all comments as well as
include= and copy= options, so is not suitable for use in conjunction
with hand-edited smb.conf files or the default package-managed
configuration.

I don't think there is anything in debian to admin samba4. swat2 exists out there but appears not to have seen an update in 10 months (it does seem to have been around since 2007 though so maybe it's not in terrible shape). I may have missed it, but it doesn't seem to have had any noise about packaging in debian though (yet, the appearance of samba4 in sid may prompt it for all I know). It does appear though that swat is being killed upstream by samba also and not replace by this swat2, so I think for now there may be no sane options for an admin tool. webmin might do it, but was removed from debian in 2006 and I really don't think it is sane.

Probably the only sane option for now with samba4 is configuring smb.conf manually. Maybe someone else who really uses samba will have some ideas though?

The wikipedia entry on Active Directory will do a better job then me of attempting to explain AD and its Domain Controller.

Quote:

Active Directory (AD) is a directory service implemented by Microsoft for Windows domain networks. It is included in most Windows Server operating systems.

An AD domain controller authenticates and authorizes all users and computers in a Windows domain type network—assigning and enforcing security policies for all computers and installing or updating software. For example, when a user logs into a computer that is part of a Windows domain, Active Directory checks the submitted password and determines whether the user is a system administrator or normal user.

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: Samba 4 hits sid  PostPosted: 17.10.2013, 21:34

Thank you for the guidance!

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: Samba 4 hits sid  PostPosted: 20.10.2013, 22:36

So the transition went fine. However, in my main Windows 7 machine the shares won't work again.

If I use Windows Explorer it asks me for authentication. However, if I use a linux machine with
      Code:
 smbclient //localhost/sharename  -N
it works fine. If I use the same Windows 7 machine with another profile Windows Explorer works fine. If I use another Windows 7 machine, it also works. It even works in my phone with a Samba app.

It just doesn't work in my main-work Windows profile. I'm guessing is because I had mapped those shares. I've tried to remove those mapping without success
      Code:
C:\Windows\System32>net use z: /delete
The network connection could not be found.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2250.

C:\Windows\System32>NET HELPMSG 2250

The network connection could not be found.

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: Samba 4 hits sid  PostPosted: 21.10.2013, 00:43

[update] Check my next reply [/update]
Solved

[not the real solution]
I added /persistent:yes to reassign the mapping, delete it, and reassigned one more time without "/persistent"

(or should I use /persistent?)

But I still wonder why I couldn't use \\COMPUTERNAME\ in Windows Explorer
[/not the real solution]

Last edited by Lat on 02.11.2013, 12:10; edited 1 time in total

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Samba 4 hits sid  PostPosted: 28.10.2013, 13:14

I've been reading up on the change to samba4 and there are a few topics that I'm not sure apply. Namely Active directory and Samba4 as DNS. Personally I want my router to be the DNS so any facility within Samba4 that provides DNS should point to the router. Understandably there are few examples on the web about Samba4. If someone who knows samba4 well could document a transition, and show an example smb.conf file I'd appreciate it. I'd also like to completely remove samba and reinstall samba4. For information, I have aptosid running as a desktop / media server using samba. The network includes a win7 laptop, a rpi xbmc, and several android devices.

LatOffline
Post subject: RE: Samba 4 hits sid  PostPosted: 02.11.2013, 12:13

I had problems with other devices, and it turns out that putting the workgroup name as user was enough to authenticate

Jump to: