View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mithatOffline
Post subject: GDM3 pulling in heaps of new packages  PostPosted: 17.10.2013, 03:22

I use aptosid with XFCE. The latest GDM3 upgrade wants to pull in evolution-data-server, gnome-shell, and a whole slew of other dependencies that I think I would rather not have.

Is it time to switch to a different display manager, or do I take the unwanted packages hit?

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: GDM3 pulling in heaps of new packages  PostPosted: 17.10.2013, 04:35

Our last few XFCE releases use lightdm instead of gdm for that reason.

mithatOffline
Post subject: RE: GDM3 pulling in heaps of new packages  PostPosted: 17.10.2013, 06:05

Thanks, slh. Are there any gotchas I should look out for when making the change?

mithatOffline
Post subject: RE: GDM3 pulling in heaps of new packages  PostPosted: 17.10.2013, 22:29

I went ahead and made the change from GDM3 to lightdm, and now it seems I am being bitten by Bug #636109 lightdm: does not source ~/.profile.

I have been using ~/.profile to add a couple dirs to my PATH as well as to set some _JAVA_OPTIONS. What is the recommended way to do these now?

For the moment, I have added a ~/.xsessionrc file that sources ~/.profile, and it seems to work. But I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to do this at a system level.

mheyesOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: GDM3 pulling in heaps of new packages  PostPosted: 20.10.2013, 16:04

mithat wrote:
I went ahead and made the change from GDM3 to lightdm, and now it seems I am being bitten by Bug #636109 lightdm: does not source ~/.profile.

I have been using ~/.profile to add a couple dirs to my PATH as well as to set some _JAVA_OPTIONS. What is the recommended way to do these now?

For the moment, I have added a ~/.xsessionrc file that sources ~/.profile, and it seems to work. But I'm thinking it would be nice to be able to do this at a system level.

Doesn't adding paths to /etc/profile work?

spockOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: GDM3 pulling in heaps of new packages  PostPosted: 21.10.2013, 10:27

I also would rather not have lots of unnecessary packages on my systems, such as bluez (my computers have no Bluetooth), as brought in by gdm3. So I installed lightdm as suggested and purged gdm3, and voila, the system now dist-upgrades without pulling in the new gdm dependencies.

But now when I try and do further dist-upgrades, typing init 3 on the console doesn't stop X as before, even if I quit fluxbox and it returns me to the lightdm login screen. On my girlfriend's aptosid/KDE machine, there's an option in the KDM login screen for "Console Login", which (IIUC) then stops KDM and allows init 3 to kill X. Lightdm just has Suspend, Hibernate, Restart, Shutdown. I tried rash things like trying to manually kill -9 the lightdm processes, but they kept respawning... Twisted Evil

Am I doing something wrong? Embarassed I'm guessing the init 3 command is still trying to stop gdm3, not lightdm, as it only reports:
      Code:
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel 3.

...whereas previously IIRC it spat out two lines (one something about stopping X or gdm).

Luckily the last dist-upgrade didn't involve any X-related or mission critical stuff, so I was lucky, but I obviously don't want to break things.

spockOffline
25 Post subject: Auto-login with lightdm  PostPosted: 21.10.2013, 10:42

I was also able to root around in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and uncomment the option for automatic login, adding my username:
      Code:
autologin-user=spock

This now boots me straight up into fluxbox instead of having to enter username and password. I know this might be considered a security risk in some scenarios, so is not the default, but I need my music studio workstation to bounce back ASAP after a UPS failure.

spockOffline
Post subject: Stopping lightdm with init3  PostPosted: 21.10.2013, 11:03

Idea Hoping I could answer my own question by RTFM Wink, I see here examples for kdm, gdm and slim, but none for lightdm; shouldn't it also be mentioned if it's now the aptosid default?

I tried using the same numbers as slim and kdm, but get errors:
      Code:
# apt-get install --reinstall distro-defaults
distro-defaults: overriding LSB init info for lightdm...
# update-rc.d gdm remove
# update-rc.d gdm3 remove
# update-rc.d lightdm start 01 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 3 4 6 .
update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
update-rc.d: warning: start runlevel arguments (5) do not match lightdm Default-Start values (2 3 4 5)
update-rc.d: warning: stop runlevel arguments (0 1 2 3 4 6) do not match lightdm Default-Stop values (0 1 6)

What is the correct way? I'll try not to reboot until I hear from someone wiser than I... Confused

bluewaterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.10.2013, 15:45
Team Member

spock

try
      Code:

update-rc.d lightdm start 24 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 3 4 6 .

spockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.10.2013, 16:25

Yes, sorry, I should have said that I'd tried that as well, but it just generated the same warnings. But then again, these are warnings, so might not be fatal, although I have no idea; all this update-rc.d stuff goes over my head Rolling Eyes. I could see if a reboot actually works, but I'd rather not gamble having a borken unbootable system...

And it seems a bit un-Debian-like to even have to invoke arcana such as this - normally stuff Just Works(TM). I wonder why these commands aren't just included in the post-install scripts, but then again I know very little about this... Confused

titanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 22.10.2013, 08:08

spock wrote:

And it seems a bit un-Debian-like to even have to invoke arcana such as this - normally stuff Just Works(TM).Confused

Installing lightdm gives Debian run levels, the change is for aptosid run levels, I don't know why they are different, maybe a dev could tell us.

DonKultOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 22.10.2013, 18:59
Team Member

Regarding the warnings: http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphp ... 6777#16777

Runlevels: Debians mantra is to have the same configuration for runlevel 2, 3, 4 and 5 so that the local admin can do whatever (s)he wants. aptosid is deriving from this by giving runlevels a meaning suitable for our usage (= shutting down X) so that not every user has to do that by him/herself (as its really a pretty arcane command for normal users).

Do you guys have a /etc/insserv/overrides/lightdm file?
The content for me is
      Code:
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          lightdm
# Should-Start:      console-screen kbd acpid dbus hal consolekit
# Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs x11-common
# Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs
# Default-Start:     5
# Default-Stop:      0 1 2 3 4 6
# Short-Description: Light Display Manager
# Description:       Debian init script for the Light Display Manager
### END INIT INFO
# Managed by the distro-defaults package.

which should enable our runlevel style in regards to lightdm.

(This is a "aptosid 2012-01 Θάνατος - xfce - (201212010120)" system without xfce – and lightdm as I use nodm, but that is really special propose)

spockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.10.2013, 12:40

Thanks for your reply Don, especially the Runlevels 101. Does this mean that typing init 3 on a (non-aptosid) standard Debian box doesn't kill X, but merely does whatever the sysadmin has configured it to do?

And when slh said in that thread that the warnings are kind of bogus, does this mean I can ignore them and that my machine will boot up normally?

My /etc/insserv/overrides/lightdm is completely identical to yours, and bears the timestamp of Oct 21st when I installed distro-defaults as detailed above.
      Code:
$ cat /etc/aptosid-version
aptosid 2011-02 Ἡμέρα - xfce - (201107131632)

spockOffline
15 Post subject: Problem solved - many thanks!  PostPosted: 23.10.2013, 12:53

And lo, I just tried init 3 again from the console, and it now says:
      Code:
INIT: Switching to runlevel: 3
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel 3
[ok] Stopping Light Dislpay Manager: lightdm

And init 5 restores X again Very Happy So many thanks for your help in solving my issue. Lightdm does just what I want (i.e., stays out of the way with as little overhead as possible - I don't need shiny login). I may one day look into nodm, and notice in the package details mention of freesmartphone.org - it's all good! Cool

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Problem solved - many thanks!  PostPosted: 24.10.2013, 10:23
Team Member

On Debian "init 3" does 'nothing'. Have a look at /etc/rc3.d/. In this directory you will find a bunch of symlinks: The ones whose name starts with 'K' are "killed" (aka stopped), the ones with 'S' are started if you enter runlevel 3. There is such a directory for each runlevel (0 = shutdown, 6 = reboot, 1-5 'normal' runlevels) which is maintained by insserv [= do not fiddle in it by hand!] and other tools. In Debian the contents of those directories is the same for runlevel 2 to 5, so beside that your system is in a different runlevel, nothing else happens.

(nodm isn't really useable for 'normal' usage as it isn't supporting ConsoleKit out-of-the-box [like other 'smaller' DMs like xdm] which means you can't even shutdown your machine without being root as ConsoleKit is needed for PolicyKit, which provides DBus interfaces to grant users right usually only root has, like shutting down or mounting a usbstick… Its just that those *Kits are deprecated in favor of … nobody knows for sure just yet. Upstream believes it is some tool in the systemd-namespace (because its the same Upstream: RedHat), but others are not so sure…)

Jump to: