View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
alien-aptosidOffline
Post subject: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 07.10.2010, 16:31

why not provide an official torrent to download aptosid ?Torrents are fast. it would also eventually help reduce load on the mirrors as well.

Reply with quote Back to top
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 07.10.2010, 16:41
Team Member

because we tried it with half-officials a few times and the result were very few users and even less seeders…

Mirrors are completely fine and we have plenty available - and, don't forget that you download aptosid exactly one time in your lifetime (for a computer at least), the rest is dist-upgrading. Wink

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 07.10.2010, 18:08

Last release I downloaded the torrent and seeded it for about 1 month 24/7. I had very few hits, and it never reached 1.5:1 ratio. One thing that might have helped would be to break the torrent up into the various release flavours rather than 1 big torrent. Also, releasing the torrent a few days before posting to the mirrors may drive the demand for the torrent highter. I'd be interested in seeding again if the team wants to try.

Last edited by browe on 08.10.2010, 20:45; edited 1 time in total

x-un-i
Post subject: Re: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 08.10.2010, 17:25
Team Member

browe wrote:
... releasing the torrent a few days before posting to the mirrors may drive the demand for the torrent highter. I'd be interested in seeding again if the team wants to try.

isos are at most 4 hours old and contain the last possible sid state.

No chance to release them earlier. otherwise they would be already old when they were released.

Será que o diabo perdeu a virgindade?

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 08.10.2010, 20:45

I believe you are right in saying that the isos, when issued are the most recent viable snapshot of sid. What I'm suggesting is if there is a desire by the team to encourage use of torrents make the torrent available before posting to the mirror. Personally I've tried both methods, and downloading directly from a mirror was the fastest, most reliable method.

alien-aptosidOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 09:17

not sure if my experience is a one off case. I was not able to resume after ppp died on me (in ubuntu ) while downloading aptosid DVD halfway and had to start over. I hope all mirrors support resuming a download ? this would explain why I have a personal preference for torrents Wink.

I do agree that with a rolling release , I should not be bothering to download the DVD unless i mess my OS really bad in distant future.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 09:27
Team Member

Simply use rsync when downloading via unreliable or slow internet connections.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
dpdt1Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 12.10.2010, 13:18

i also agree in this proposition about a torrent being available for aptosid (the kde-full edition mostly).
i think it is a better download approach for new users with a link in the official release announcement..

dpdt1

p.s i can also seed for "ever"..

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 12.10.2010, 18:14

I had also wanted torrents more than 2 years back.
As already said here,there will not be enough seeders, some may stay for just a few days.
That too for a couple of releases.

Personally, I see no need.

BequimãoOffline
Post subject: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 17.10.2010, 14:21

slam wrote:
Simply use rsync when downloading via unreliable or slow internet connections.
Greetings,
Chris

I also tried a download via torrent recently. Why not place a torrent with a hint to use rsync instead? Users will always search for torrents.

rsync is by far the better option.

Greetings,
Bequimão

etorixOffline
Post subject: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 17.10.2010, 14:58
Team Member

most all our mirrors have bandwidth to burn, thats what they are there for

forget reducing the load on em, they expect it on Release days

torrenting ISOs just isnt necessary, nor will it ever be faster than direct download from the faster mirrors

ok, if we were all still on 56k modems, then maybe a torrent would make sense ... but we aint

for slow lines, use rsync

BequimãoOffline
Post subject: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 17.10.2010, 17:02

Everything said is ok. But please write a short explaination of rsync on the Download/Mirrors page and the related text of the manual.

muchan
Post subject: RE: an official torrent to download aptosid ?  PostPosted: 18.10.2010, 05:24

for now rsync is in the section of
System administration -> backing up the system in the manual:
http://manual.aptosid.com/en/sys-admin- ... .htm#rsync

alien-aptosidOffline
Post subject: it might be easier with wget for a download  PostPosted: 18.10.2010, 05:47

wget -c <url>

c option makes sure that the download can be resumed.Just make sure to execute the command from same download folder say like after a reboot if we need to continue a partial download from where we stopped.

brokenpikeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.02.2011, 15:45

Could someone please provide a full rsync command to a specific aptosid iso on a specific mirror?

I cannot quite get the path and flags correct.

Cheers,

Pike

Jump to: