View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: What are safe settings?  PostPosted: 05.01.2014, 17:29
Team Member

Have you tried it with an external monitor in the meantime as slh suggested in the first response?

Linux takes the ACPI settings from the BIOS just as Windows does, but that doesn't work in all cases. On my laptop (which is also nvidia+intel setup) for example I need to force a different OS identifier for ACPI to make e.g. backlight setting work (dmesg is still includes a few messages about buggy ACPI) as the kernel has no built-in workaround for it.
[and no, I am not telling, as I don't consider this safe either]

Stuff as "silly" as upgrading your BIOS might work. But you are probably better of searching on the web for your exact laptop model. It's likely someone had this problem before you and solved it somehow. It's at least how I "fix" these kind of problems.

Reply with quote Back to top
k1tt3hOffline
32 Post subject: Re: RE: What are safe settings?  PostPosted: 06.01.2014, 05:48

DonKult wrote:
as the kernel has no built-in workaround for it.

You should submit a patch. Wink

Quote:

Aw poopy. Evil or Very Mad

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: What are safe settings?  PostPosted: 06.01.2014, 11:26
Team Member

k1tt3h wrote:
      DonKult wrote:
as the kernel has no built-in workaround for it.

You should submit a patch. Wink

Yes, but not before I have established world-peace by leading the invasion of earth by my friendly martian brothers. Wink
(I know how the patch would look like to do what I do "by hand", but while I can read the kernels C code, I am bad at reading the decoded assembly of the proprietary BIOS (in all 10 versions shipped so far), so I have no idea what it does – and while I am fine with frying my own system, I would need to do deeper analysis before I potentially destroy hardware of other people)

k1tt3h wrote:
      DonKult wrote:

Aw poopy. Evil or Very Mad

Yes, at least if you consider the guy not giving the sharp knife to a toddler to be the poopy.

But as you insist: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ ... osl.c#L109
This enables potentially code paths in the BIOS which NOBODY tested, so anything could happen from nothing over hardware damage to the uprising of the machines against the weak humans!

k1tt3hOffline
32 Post subject: Re: RE: What are safe settings?  PostPosted: 09.01.2014, 22:03

DonKult wrote:
Yes, but not before I have established world-peace by leading the invasion of earth by my friendly martian brothers. Wink
(I know how the patch would look like to do what I do "by hand", but while I can read the kernels C code, I am bad at reading the decoded assembly of the proprietary BIOS (in all 10 versions shipped so far), so I have no idea what it does – and while I am fine with frying my own system, I would need to do deeper analysis before I potentially destroy hardware of other people)

I have been in that same boat. I gave it a shot in regards to the GPU fan control and the keyboard backlight for my laptop. I even got as far as creating the email. In my case, I was not confident because my own ``fix'' was a mystery to me. It worked, but if someone was to ask me how, I would never return an answer.

DonKult wrote:

Yes, at least if you consider the guy not giving the sharp knife to a toddler to be the poopy.

But as you insist: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/ ... osl.c#L109
This enables potentially code paths in the BIOS which NOBODY tested, so anything could happen from nothing over hardware damage to the uprising of the machines against the weak humans!

This sounds like a wonderful conclusion to the beautiful and peace filled story that has been humankind. I welcome our Linux powered Robotic Overlords.

Sector Alpha Flesh Control Seargant 3rd Class John P. Smithtron: Stop right there, human scum!!!
Elite Meatbag Resistance Operative Bubbles: rm -rf /*
Sector Alpha Flesh Control Seargant 3rd Class John P. Smithtron: Ha Ha, puny human, you have no power over me...
Elite Meatbag Resistance Operative Bubbles: sudo rm -rf /* --no-preserve-root
Sector Alpha Flesh Control Seargant 3rd Class John P. Smithtron: Password:
Elite Meatbag Resistance Operative Bubbles: Get to the roflcopter!!
Sector Alpha Flesh Control Seargant 3rd Class John P. Smithtron:*robot crying intensifies*

Jump to: