View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Mte90Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 22.10.2012, 10:01

maybe thay qait the release of wheezy that haven't date of release...

Reply with quote Back to top
detaosOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 22.10.2012, 18:10
Team Member

Aptosid releases are not tied to Debian Stable releases.

birdie
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 07.11.2012, 17:46

detaos wrote:

They are not tied even to your own promises - almost a year has passed since your last release and there's nothing in sight.

I've long switched to SystemRescueCD which is of course not what AptoSID is, but at least they allow me to run their distro on newer hardware and AptoSID is pretty much unusable on anything that has been released just recently.

drbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 07.11.2012, 21:48

birdie wrote:
      detaos wrote:

They are not tied even to your own promises - almost a year has passed since your last release and there's nothing in sight.

I've long switched to SystemRescueCD which is of course not what AptoSID is, but at least they allow me to run their distro on newer hardware and AptoSID is pretty much unusable on anything that has been released just recently.

Is that installation of the most recent version of aptosid or a fully upgraded version of sid (including kernel upgrade)?

kb0haeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 08.11.2012, 16:31

I can understand why there has not been a release of Aptosid in a long while. There have been a lot of problems with SID this year. Indeed there have been relatively few times that it has been safe to do a D-U this year. I would rather wait than have a buggy release!

I have been recommending Simply Mepis lately, as the last release of Aptosid was long enough ago that it is a huge (over 1 gig) D-U now for a new install of that release.

drbOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 08.11.2012, 18:12

kb0hae wrote:
There have been a lot of problems with SID this year. Indeed there have been relatively few times that it has been safe to do a D-U this year. .

You're right - I only du once a day to avoid all the problems. This low frequency of d-uing has at least left me with no problems.

birdie
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 01.01.2014, 17:53

So I'm gonna ask this question again. Has AptoSID been abandoned?

During 2013 AptoSID saw just one release instead of four promised releases every quarter.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 01.01.2014, 21:34
Team Member

birdie wrote:
So I'm gonna ask this question again. Has AptoSID been abandoned?

And you get the same answer again. No. Haven't you done a dist-upgrade lately?

birdie wrote:
During 2013 AptoSID saw just one release instead of four promised releases every quarter.

Promises are the things politicians make but not implement after they have been elected. Promises is what you make on new years eve until you let it slip two days later. A married man might make a promise to leave his wife soon to one of his girlfriends. A promise is what the doctor makes when you ask then your grandpa is released from the hospital.

In free software you don't make promises as the future is completely unpredictable if you have only volunteers around and even professionals don't get it right.

Here we "target" 4 releases a year, but in the "aim high" sense. If it doesn't make sense or time isn't permitting it this target isn't reached… who cares?
We luckily don't get paid for this here, so we don't have to meet a schedule, but can wait for the right time. It e.g. doesn't make sense to hammer out a release just to meet a target if most of the crew has more important things to do (ranging from boring $paidwork to burying a relative).

Frankly, I would be more concerned about a release done today with another init system than Debian sid has. I would be bloody scared if such a release would include a stanza like "we will keep this init system, even if Debian chooses another". I prefer people who don't say batshit crazy things even if they do a release only once in a while.

(Disclaimer: This post can't be used for any kinds of predictions. A release could have happened yesterday and I wouldn't know (expect the news entry) and this isn't going to change soon as I am grumpy and sad and not much more at the moment Crying or Very sad )

elishOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID dead?  PostPosted: 14.01.2014, 09:59

It was a mistake to split sidux into aptosid and siduction.

If "target" is unrealistic it can be adjusted and so will expectations...

oddballOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoSID d  PostPosted: 14.01.2014, 10:40

elish wrote:
It was a mistake to split sidux into aptosid and siduction....
That's not the right way to describe what happen. If a gang of people do voluntary work together and their aim start to differ, and if maybe they on a more personally level not get so well together anymore it's not like it is some decision that shall be done, it's not something that you can call a success or a mistake when they split and do their thing in their own desired way instead, it's more like a organic process that has to have it's life.

That's one thing. The next, sidux never splitted, sidux changed name to aptosid, then some people left aptosid and started siduction.

And as donkult mentioned above, aptosid is maintained, there are new kernels, the aptosid repos are there so you can d-u you aptosid version of Debian sid, and there is a working support on the forum.

I use booth siduction and aptosid and I hope the remaining aptosid gang has the will, time and energy to produce a new release, I also would like a newer release, but if not, that's life.

elishOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoS  PostPosted: 11.02.2014, 21:57

Maybe it is possible to merge with a distribution of similar philosophy to aptosid?

The forum activity of development team is another indication:
(user - last post days ago)
detaos - 215
x-un-i - 256
roen - 50
slam - 261
donkult - 0
etorix - 119
slh - 2
kelmo - 590
bluewater - 3
bfree - 89
A rolling release may explain lack of official releases but not a dormant forum.
If user support is of no concern, this website might as well be offline and the distribution be for the closed community.

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoS  PostPosted: 11.02.2014, 23:06
Team Member

If we are not providing the service you expected from us you are entitled to a full refund.

Did you recently had a question and nobody at least commented on it?
If yes, lets recheck, we might have overlooked it. Sorry in that case, but I have to say that I think its quiet rude to calling for closing the forum because of this.
If not, do you think it would make sense to talk a lot more without actual content? You could follow the init system discussion in Debian if you are that desperate for constant noise…

A distro with a similar philosophy exists already btw and we are constantly merging with it: Debian.

elishOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Is AptoS  PostPosted: 12.02.2014, 06:13

I didn't say close the forum but make available to those who don't need the support.
People may have expectations without opening their wallet.
After all, you claim to be "Debian Hot & Spicy!"...

Jump to: