View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dptOffline
Post subject: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 06.10.2010, 19:58

I plan to do a fresh install of aptosid 64-bit, kde-lite, and it took me quite some time to locate the link to download mirrors.

I hardly do fresh installs, so do not remember how it was in the past.

Can we have 'download' in bold in the menu on left?

Thanks

dpt

Reply with quote Back to top
oduffoOffline
Post subject: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 06.10.2010, 20:29

Good idea.
I would like like to have "Forum" in bold. Maybe "Manual" and "Wiki" as well.
On second thoughts it might be best to have all entries in bold.

Gruß
oduffo

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 07.10.2010, 15:29

You do not understand the importance of the 'download' button.

Have a nice day.

dpt

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 07.10.2010, 16:04

I agree with dpt, there should be a big graphical download button that a new visitor to the site will see without digging thru the menu. While I think about it... the download menu doesn't need to display the full ftp:// path to every mirror, just list the name and country of the site. Also, the left side menu bar doesn't display properly in IE6 (and that's what my employer forces me to use). This menu displays left justified under the aptosid "d" instead of under the "a".

sx9Offline
Post subject: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 07.10.2010, 21:14

The display of the sidux/aptosid has always been a problem. The site is unusable with IE6 - but I think that shouldn't be a problem, because different browsers are available for USB-Sticks, too so there is no need to install it on a Computer.
By the way, most of the internet users has switched to another browser, because the surf "experience" with IE is really ugly.
Ok, most of the Win-Users still have IE installed, but partly not as their main browser - and there are quite more Operating Systems than Windows.

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 09:10
Team Member

dpt wrote:
You do not understand the importance of the 'download' button.

Have a nice day.

dpt
We do understand it, and that's why we do not provide one. We want people to read at least a few lines before simply clicking a download button, because that ensures that we can seriously support them later on.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 09:24
Team Member

sx9 wrote:
The display of the sidux/aptosid has always been a problem. The site is unusable with IE6 ...
Well, that's just not true, but an unfriendly exaggeration. Of course it's usable, just not looking as well as with modern browsers.

And this is definitely not a problem of this site, but of people/organisations still using an extremely outdated version of a browser, which is even not supported any more by it's own manufacturer. Add, that this browser comes with a bulk load of well known unfixed bugs, already exploited security issues and famous incompatibilites with several common standards (html, xml, css, ...).

So, bottom line: No one is willing to take care any more for those IE6 problems, when coding for the web. As no one is preparing horse paths alongside highways Wink

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 15:48

Quote:
We do understand it, and that's why we do not provide one. We want people to read at least a few lines before simply clicking a download button, because that ensures that we can seriously support them later on.

Greetings,
Chris

When someone looks for download, he/she looks for download, everything else is blurred.

But you feel that it is logical to torture users with everything else other than what the user wants,and make him wear the latest glasses and scan the tiny fonts.

Makes a lot of sense.

Have a nice day.

dpt

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 18:18
Team Member

dpt wrote:
...But you feel that it is logical to torture users with everything else other than what the user wants,and make him wear the latest glasses and scan the tiny fonts.

Makes a lot of sense.

Have a nice day.

dpt
We feel that aptosid users should know what they do, and how downloading (and using) an aptosid iso differs from other - probably much more easier to use - downloads. Please get emotions out of that, and try to understand WHY. Thanks in advance!

Greetings,
Chris

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Link to download iso  PostPosted: 09.10.2010, 18:53

No emotions here slam, it really took a long time for me to locate. Maybe I overlooked, but I could not even see a link on the page of the new release.

Just how I feel as a reasonably intelligent user and as a aptosid user for quite sometime, and in the interest of aptosid.

Thanks.

dpt

Jump to: