View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
manulOffline
Post subject: Last d-u breaks KDE OpenGL backend / effects  PostPosted: 26.03.2014, 02:03

Since the last d-u I just did today - I had rectangles mess on the screen after KDE login.

Ctrl-shift-12 shows it was "desktop effects" that stopped working.

Seems related to the newest kwin/kde/mesa/dri updates - which just came in together with some libwayland-egl1-mesa package (I dont need/use anything wayland-related, but it become a dependency I guess).

To be able to work I had to switch either to no "desktop effects" at all, or alternatively use XRender (which both are barely usable, one can see how windows get repainted).

Prior to today's d-u, KDE/kwin effects & rendering was working fine (in OpenGL 2.0 / Native mode).

I use nouveau driver with integrated GeForce 8200 chip.

More details:

Code:
manul@siduxbox:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "siduxbox" running Linux 3.13-6.slh.5-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ sidux 2009-03 Μώμος - kde-lite - (200911110039) ]
CPU Info        2x AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 512 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm svm ) clocked at [ 2200.000 MHz ]
Videocard       NVIDIA C77 [GeForce 8200]  X.Org 1.15.0  [ 1280x1024@60.0hz ]
Network cards   NVIDIA MCP77
Processes 173 | Uptime 1:16 | Memory 767.7/3833.6MB | HDD WDC WD1002FAEX-0,WDC WD5000AAKS-0,WDC WD1600AAJS-9 Size 1660GB (42%used) | GLX Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NVAA | GLX Version No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose) | Client Shell | Infobash v3.46
manul@siduxbox:~$

Code:
manul@siduxbox:~$ dpkg -l | egrep '(nouveau|mesa|OpenGL)'
ii  libdrm-nouveau2:amd64                    2.4.52-1                           amd64        Userspace interface to nouveau-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime
ii  libegl1-mesa:amd64                       10.1.0-4                           amd64        free implementation of the EGL API -- runtime
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64                    10.1.0-4                           amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental:amd64       9.2.2-1                            amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- Extra DRI modules
ii  libgl1-mesa-glx:amd64                    10.1.0-4                           amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL API -- GLX runtime
ii  libglapi-mesa:amd64                      10.1.0-4                           amd64        free implementation of the GL API -- shared library
ii  libglee0d1:amd64                         5.4.0-2                            amd64        extension loading library for OpenGL
ii  libgles2-mesa:amd64                      10.1.0-4                           amd64        free implementation of the OpenGL|ES 2.x API -- runtime
ii  libglew1.10:amd64                        1.10.0-3                           amd64        OpenGL Extension Wrangler - runtime environment
ii  libglew1.7:amd64                         1.7.0-3                            amd64        OpenGL Extension Wrangler - runtime environment
ii  libglewmx1.10:amd64                      1.10.0-3                           amd64        OpenGL Extension Wrangler (Multiple Rendering Contexts)
ii  libglewmx1.7:amd64                       1.7.0-3                            amd64        OpenGL Extension Wrangler (Multiple Rendering Contexts)
ii  libglu1-mesa:amd64                       9.0.0-2                            amd64        Mesa OpenGL utility library (GLU)
ii  libkwinglesutils1                        4:4.11.7-1+b1                      amd64        library with OpenGL/ES utilities for the KDE window manager
ii  libkwinglutils1abi1                      4:4.10.5-3                         amd64        library with OpenGL utilities for the KDE window manager
ii  libkwinglutils1abi2                      4:4.11.7-1+b1                      amd64        library with OpenGL utilities for the KDE window manager
ii  libqt4-opengl:amd64                      4:4.8.5+git242-g0315971+dfsg-2     amd64        Qt 4 OpenGL module
ii  libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64               10.1.0-4                           amd64        implementation of the Wayland EGL platform -- runtime
ii  mesa-utils                               8.1.0-2+b1                         amd64        Miscellaneous Mesa GL utilities
ii  xserver-xorg-video-nouveau               1:1.0.10-1+b1                      amd64        X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver
manul@siduxbox:~$

How to find out where should I report the issue/bug, under which package...?

Thanks,
manul

Last edited by manul on 03.04.2014, 13:17; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Last d-u breaks KDE OpenGL rendering for nouveau  PostPosted: 26.03.2014, 03:56

xserver-xorg-video-nouveau hasn't been changed recently, so unless you didn't upgrade since mid November, the problem is less likely to be found there.

libglew* was last updated in late november, libdrm-nouveau2 was last updated on january 24th and libglee0d1 isn't required for KDE, neither is mesa-utils.

kde-workspace, which contains libkwinglesutils1, libkwinglutils1abi1 and libkwinglutils1abi2 are part of kde-workspace, which was last updated on march 4th, so if it was still working with those packages updated, it's less likely to be a problem with those.

This just leaves the packages built from the mesa source package, which was last updated on saturday. It would probably make sense to file the bug against src:mesa, as all potentially involved packages are built from this source and maintained by the same Debian maintainer (who can re-assign the bug to the correct binary package as needed).

Technically speaking the regression could have also been caused by one of the latest kernel upgrades, so if you still have older ones available, it does make sense to boot into an slightly older (known-working) kernel to rule out this problem. I can't judge how likely kernel involvement is here, as there have been drm/ nouevau changes lately - but nothing relevant within the last few days (so it dependends on which (known-good) kernel you've used before).

At a first glance, no relevant bug reports have been filed recently, so it would be good to report this, unfortunately I neither use desktop effects nor have access to any semi-recent nvidia graphics card, so I can't reproduce the issue myself.

Ilinsekt
Post subject: RE: Last d-u breaks KDE OpenGL rendering for nouveau  PostPosted: 26.03.2014, 21:32

I have a very similar problem on Intel graphics (Ivy Bridge/HD4000). Rectangular artifacts appear sporadically, and while Qt apps are still usable, GTK apps can, although not reproducible, become complete unusable with random areas of the app window just filled white with no discernable UI elements. Also, kwin crashed several times and kept crashing until a reboot. Turning desktop effects off helps, rebooting into an older kernel does not. There also seems to be some difference between using Qt native and raster mode, although I did not investigate that deeper.

manulOffline
Post subject: RE: Last d-u breaks KDE OpenGL rendering for nouveau  PostPosted: 26.03.2014, 22:21

slh,

Thank you for reply!

Now, I have not reported any bug yet.
Because I decided to investigate more, and had certain success in localizing further the issue.

I lack of proper understanding of involved graph stack technologies (and related proper terminology), so I'll describe in my own words what I did and what I observed.

Two notes in advance:

1) I experimented a lot with older kernels, but there is no difference in my experimental results no matter what kernel I used.

2) As it follows from my apt history log - the previous dist-upgrade was at Feb 28th. The dist-upgrade which caused the problem was done yesterday March 25th (and I have not dist-upgraded since).

I guess the above two, leave us with either kde-related, or mesa packages as a possible cause for the issue. It can't be neither the kernel nor the nouveau (which as per your words have not changed since Feb 28th).

Now, exact sequence of my actions (+relevant configuration) which led to the issue:

0) In "System Settings"->"Workspace appearance and behaviour"->"Deskop Effects"->"Advanced", there is a dropdown which sets "Compositing type". It can be set to OpenGL 3.1, OpenGL 2.0, OpenGL 1.2 or XRender.
I am not sure what it means exactly (and even whether if what shows as applied there, the same thing is actually in effect).
So I will briefly refer to this here as "KDE in OpenGL 2.0 compositing mode", or "KDE in XRender compositing mode", etc.

0) So till last d-u, I always run KDE in "OpenGL 2.0 compositing mode" and was happy.

1) I applied d-u yesterday as usual - upgrading everything but the kernel (when d-u I don't pull the new kernels automatically; but rather do this explicitly myself).

2) When I logged in in KDE, it was full mess of rectangles until I Ctrl-Shift-F12 to disable effects.

3) I then upgraded the kernel as well, thinking it may be a combination of how newer kernel & newer graph stack cooperate. But the same issue persisted (and it is not the kernel per se, as said above).

4) I noted the issue goes off, if I either completely "disable the effects on startup" with the corresponding checkbox in System Settings; or if I use "KDE XRender compositing mode" as opposed to the normally used "OpenGL 2.0 compositing mode".

5) I wrote the topic about the issue here.

Now about my most recent findings:

Long story short.... :)
1) I noticed that ONCE I am logged in initially WITHOUT effects, or in XRender compositing (after reboot! just logout-login - with or without X server restart - does NOT work), then I CAN switch KDE to "OpenGL 2.0 compositing mode" and it works fine.
I.e. in case I am already successfully inside KDE (No Effects/XRender on startup, and AFTER REBOOT) - I can manually switch to, and use the OpenGL 2.0 setting as before.
As soon as I try to make OpenGL2.0 "permanent" (i.e. enabled at startup), and (re)login again (with or without reboot), the corrupted rectangles mess starts to occur.

2) The above led me to conclusion the problem is somehow related to kdm or kde init/login phase.

3) Note that, once the issue occurs once (screen corrupted etc) - then no matter to what modes I switch and login/logout, restart X server etc - OpenGL2.0 regime is always broken. I must reboot clean and login clean, in order to be able to manually enable OpenGL2.0 and to be fine.

4) So whatever happens at kdm/kde init/login phase, it corrupts the video's OpenGL2.0 compositing regime "permanently", until the next reboot.

Now, there is an effect called "Login - smoothly fade to the desktop when logging in".
I disabled (unchecked) it - and voila!
All works, and I can now use "OpenGL2.0 compositing" permanently, with no issues whatsoever (as soon as this effect is disabled - if I enable it again, after the first login I face the issues described above).

To summarize, with the effect "Login - smoothly fade to the desktop when logging in" disabled - "OpenGL2.0 compositing" works fine, enabled on startup etc as before.

Finally, I noticed that no matter whether I use OpenGL2.0 or XRender compositing setting: glxinfo from terminal always says there is "no direct rendering".
But it may always have been like that.
I am not sure then, what "OpenGL2.0 compositing" means in KDE (OpenGL2.0 not directly rendered by the videocard, but fully or partially emulated by mesa?).

Given the above, what will be your advise?
Where to report to (I like this login blending effect very much -: )?

Thanks,
manul

Last edited by manul on 26.03.2014, 22:58; edited 4 times in total

manulOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Last d-u breaks KDE OpenGL rendering for nouveau  PostPosted: 26.03.2014, 22:26

Ilinsekt wrote:
I have a very similar problem on Intel graphics (Ivy Bridge/HD4000). Rectangular artifacts appear sporadically, and while Qt apps are still usable, GTK apps can, although not reproducible, become complete unusable with random areas of the app window just filled white with no discernable UI elements. Also, kwin crashed several times and kept crashing until a reboot. Turning desktop effects off helps, rebooting into an older kernel does not. There also seems to be some difference between using Qt native and raster mode, although I did not investigate that deeper.

Ilinsekt, it sounds somewhat different from what I was experiencing...
With me no apps (neither QT nor GTK nor desktop/plasma itself) were usable, it was all rectangular mess on the screen (some rectangles/pieces blinking sporadically), once kdm login was passed.
And it was systematically reproducible.

However, may be it is worth to try to disable effect "Login - smoothly fade to the desktop when logging in" (and eventually selectively disable some other effects) - and see whether it helps?

manulOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Last d-u breaks KDE OpenGL rendering for nouveau  PostPosted: 28.03.2014, 15:26

I was hoping someone could give me a hint...
Under which package should I report a regression bug, due to compositing effect - which totally breaks KDE desktop video/compositing in OpenGL regime, rendering screen unusable - when this effect is enabled? (and this bug is neither due to the kernel, nor video driver, which both have been excluded).
Kwin, plasma, mesa... other?
Or just report somewhere (say src:mesa), and the maintainer will reallocate it properly?

Thanks
manul

manulOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Last d-u breaks KDE OpenGL rendering for nouveau  PostPosted: 03.04.2014, 13:16

After the latest d-u (which brought some newer mesa/xorg/etc stuff):

- The "Login effect" does not anymore lead to broken video in OpengGL2.0 backend/nouveau. However, it simply does not work (enabled or not).

- Once I dist-upgraded my laptop, the openGL2.0 backend for effects there broke too. This time with systematic kwin crash with effects enabled. It uses driver/integrated intel video chip i915 driver (and was working fine till now, with the same openGL2.0 compositing backend + effects enabled).

I edited a topic subject slightly.

manulOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Last d-u breaks KDE OpenGL rendering for nouveau  PostPosted: 11.04.2014, 14:04

Noticed this bug is now reported in debian: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=739901
(effects still broken here at desktops/laptops, the ones I keep up to date)

Jump to: