View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hyOffline
Post subject: RE: the final solution  PostPosted: 20.06.2014, 09:23

The bluetooth issue wasn't the actual problem. It was just the last error issued on the screen before emergency console started. The problem persisted after removing bluetooth, bluez and bluedevil.
slh: So you think I'd be better off trying to install sysvinit and systemd and remove systemd-shim?

Reply with quote Back to top
finottiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: the final solution  PostPosted: 20.06.2014, 13:34

slh wrote:
[...] systemd-shim is a temporary bandaid, which will break hard once the systemd maintainers upgrade to logind >= 205 (any day now), which isn't a solution and should not be used.

Just, without targetted debugging on the affected system, there's little chance that it will be fixed (but it's safe to assume that non-systemd linux-any will break hard very soon).

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have installed systemd-shim to fix a policykit-1 problem a while ago. (It was mentioned somewhere in the forum here...) Should I try to remove it or do something to prevent the system from breaking when the new systemd comes?

Thanks,

Luis

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: the final solution  PostPosted: 20.06.2014, 14:47

You probably installed systemd-shim in order to avoid systemd-sysv and keep sysvinit, given that the future of systemd-shim is unclear (right now, it looks like it will break hard, once the real systemd is updated to the current upstream version, which is supposed to be very soon), it is recommended to first install systemd-sysv, reboot and then purge systemd-shim. Normally this is a smooth migration, without a lot of user visible changes (well, by default the system boot is very quiet, so don't be afraid if you no longer see lots of dæmon start notices).

hyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: the final solution  PostPosted: 20.06.2014, 15:37

Thanks slh! I'll try that on a live system from USB and report if it worked out...
Will not have any time to do that test b4 sunday

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: the final solution  PostPosted: 05.09.2014, 01:34

This is seriously the worse Debian breakage I've seen yet for a long time Razz
I'm in emergency mode after a dist-upgrade..haven't even rebooted yet, but I can't get a command shell or ssh into the box. Any suggestions?
I presume rebooted will get me into the broken state where I have to reinstall Sad

Jump to: