View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject: Separate /usr with systemd  PostPosted: 01.08.2014, 23:12

I've always had separate logical volumes for everything, and with sysvinit this wasn't as big of a problem, but apparently this can create some major issues with systemd.

So short of reinstalling the entire system, which I mean I could, is there a decent way to either A) tell initramfs to mount /usr in early userspace, or B) merge the two volumes?

I didn't want to attempt either, because I felt fairly certain I would mess something up if the usr volume disappeared, and mounting /usr doesn't seem supported, at least out of the box, in initramfs yet.

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Separate /usr with systemd  PostPosted: 02.08.2014, 03:16

Using a separate /usr/ is a very bad idea these days or rather for at least a decade, yes it's 'supposed' to work (although not necessarily with systemd), but barely anyone tests it.

a) no, not right now (there have been plans to make this possible for about 2 years already, without anything happening so far; systemd has renewed these intentions again, but the status quo remains for now)
b) semi-automatically, neither - rsync/ cp -a/ mv and adapting fstab from a live medium at best.

Just to repeat it, unless you have very, very good reasons, don't put /usr/ or /boot/ on separate partitions - it's pretty much always a bad idea.
A separate partition for /home/ is usually a good idea.
Likewise for data partitions (like /srv/ or custom ones).
Putting /var/ (or its subfolders, like log, httpd document roots, SQL backing store, etc.) on their own partition may be a good countermeasure to prevent overflowing and is generally safe.

Micro-management easily has adverse side effects and may expose rare corner cases no one else has ever tested. The traditional rootfs && /usr/ split really mustn't be used anymore, most distributions have abandoned this concept years ago (accordingly upstreams don't test this anymore) and despite still being allowed by policy in Debian, there are many violations of this known and even more to be expected.

gregfrankensteinOffline
Post subject: RE: Separate /usr with systemd  PostPosted: 02.08.2014, 20:59

Eep. Well thank you. I learned something today.

Jump to: