View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MikeKOffline
Post subject: can't install printer (no cupsys)  PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 10:13

Hello,
Tried to install a canon printer MF4140 it used to work on 10.04 ubuntu and working on opesuse 11.3 with drivers from canon. However, latelly it failed to work on ubuntu, and I can't install it on aptosid as well..
      Code:

dpkg -i cndrvcups-common_2.10-1_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package cndrvcups-common.
(Reading database ... 94265 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking cndrvcups-common (from cndrvcups-common_2.10-1_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of cndrvcups-common:
 cndrvcups-common depends on cupsys; however:
  Package cupsys is not installed.
dpkg: error processing cndrvcups-common (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 cndrvcups-common

There no cupsys,

apt-cache policy cupsys
cupsys:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: (none)
Version table:

do you think it's possible to make it work?[/code]

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: can  PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 11:03
Team Member

cupsys as a package which does not any more exist in Debian Sid, but is provided by cups. So, let Canon know that they have to fix their package. This will (or have already) hit also other Debian derived distros sooner or later. Let me add, that the problem is not new, Canon driver packages have often been broken with changes in Cups.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
MikeKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 11:26

thank you very much. I see a lot of ppl on Ubuntu forums wonders wth with thier printer as stoped to work..

if I knew that I would use a linux when I was buying my printer I would make more proper (HP) choice...

diblOffline
Post subject: Re: can't install printer (no cupsys)  PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 14:00

MikeK wrote:

do you think it's possible to make it work?

I have the same problem with a Pixma iP6220D. Matter of fact, there is no Canon-provided driver -- I have to use a Turboprint driver, but it has the same problem with no cupsys.

I can make it work by installing the driver from a .deb using the dpkg --force-all option, but doing this will screw up the apt-get system -- no normal upgrades until you let it remove the driver. Not a good solution for people who need to print every day -- it's OK for me because I am not such a person. YMMV, proceed at your own risk, results may vary, yadda yadda yadda ...

MikeKOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: can  PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 14:08

Well, I have opensuse on printer, since it's not deb based it is support canon driver so far.. However opensuse have sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much things i dont need, and so it's so slow, but may be it's payoff for compatibility. From the other hand nor Mandriva non even Fedora could work with this printer driver.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 16:22

A cupsys package exists in Debian Lenny. It is called a "transition" package. I enabled the Lenny repo just for this experiment, installed cupsys, then disabled the Lenny repo. Afterwards, I was able to use dpkg to install my Turboprint .deb driver package, and it installed normally and appears to work correctly. This is 64-bit aptosid Keres, fully updated.

YMMV.

And yes, mods should now move this thread to "dragons", as that is the nature of this particular beast. Smile

devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 16:26

there seems to be a misunderstanding here:
the package now called cups used to be called cupsy, it was transitional in sid a while back, now its only transitional in Lenny and will be gone for good once Squeeze releases. both packages are identical.
of course installing cupsys from Lenny gives you an older cups than the one in sid.

greetz
devil

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 16:33

The problem, I think, is crappy out of date printer driver installers with a specific dependency on the package "cupsys". When it can't find the package, the driver installer pukes up errors and quits. For this situation, having an older CUPS in the system is the least of the problems.

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 11.10.2010, 18:05
Team Member

Installing elementary stuff - like the printing system - from Lenny on Debian Sid/aptosid is no solution, and will get you into deeper problems. The same is true with using --force-all switches to install printer drivers, this is known to destroy you printing system behind repair. Cups is far from trivial. There are only 2 reasonable solutions: Get the manufacturer to update his package, or get the source and build a package yourself on aptosid.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
MikeKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.10.2010, 08:26

Actually there is source enclosed. I tried to complile it in noob mode under opensuse Smile but it required glib which is not part of 11.3 anymore, so itrequired me to compile glib too, and I just gve up coz have to do my boring office job...
I will try to make it at the evening on aptosid, perphas glib is still in SID Smile

MikeKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.10.2010, 18:50

Oh well... compiling the printer drivers is a game... "find the package/headers u miss...", and when u think u got it, you get a LONG list of errors, and no idea how to handle it Sad

MikeKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.10.2010, 17:58

It have been made to work under aptosid! This is the saviour - " dpkg -i cupsys_1.4.3-1ubuntu1.2_all.deb" Smile

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/all/cupsys/download

devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.10.2010, 18:21

arrrgh!
ubuntu packages are (sometimes) not debian compatible.
please do not use ubuntu packages with debian!
and do not advertise them here. thanks.

greetz
devil

MikeKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 15.10.2010, 20:09

\sigh, I thought everybody would be happy to see that their printer is back to work... I tried it, it worked.. however, of course, something may be got broekn which I just havent noticed yet..

Jump to: