View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
saxxonianOffline
Post subject: code::blocks safe to install?  PostPosted: 20.10.2010, 16:59

My daughter needs this program, http://www.codeblocks.org, installed at home to do her school homework in coding. Since it's not in the repos, does anyone know it? Is it safe to install on our aptosid machines? Any cautions, hints, or else are much appreciated! Thanks.

Reply with quote Back to top
gangstaOffline
Post subject: RE: code::blocks safe to install?  PostPosted: 20.10.2010, 18:29

http://apt.jenslody.de/
There is repo.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: code::blocks safe to install?  PostPosted: 20.10.2010, 18:43
Team Member

Those packages are built against a defined version of wxwidgets (2.8.10 as of today), and will most likely break at the next wxwidgets upgrade (until the packager provides newer ones). So, using them will render your system partially not upgradeable. Please decide yourself if that's what you want to deal with in the future.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
tjtagOffline
Post subject: RE: code::blocks safe to install?  PostPosted: 21.10.2010, 03:19

I use this package "CodeBlocks / my prefered IDE" to build my small jtag distribution "Tjtag" and several other projects that I am involved in, but I build it from source/codeblocks SVN. and almost daily. It runs very well on aptosid, and I might say it compiles faster as well. I use this on a x64 box... you will need a few other dependencies/packages if you plan on compiling it

saxxonianOffline
Post subject: RE: code::blocks safe to install?  PostPosted: 21.10.2010, 08:41

thanks all for replying, that was helpful, I won't break my system, will need another solution. cheers

finottiOffline
Post subject: RE: code::blocks safe to install?  PostPosted: 21.10.2010, 13:38

FWIW, compiling it seems to be a good idea, if you know the basiscs. Another one would be to have a virtual machine with CodeBlocks in it...

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: ride it into the ground.  PostPosted: 24.10.2010, 08:05

installing it, and then purging and re-installing that particular program when it breaks, that doesn't seem like such a big deal.

i mean, it won't bring his whole system to a halt, will it? only the upgrade of that particular program.

ike.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: ride it into the ground.  PostPosted: 25.10.2010, 10:35
Team Member

@ike, unfortunately it's not that easy. codeblocks depends on a certain version of the the wxwidgets tool kit, which is also used by other applications and tools. So, every upgrade involving either codeblocks, wxwidgets or depending apps & libs can create trouble. While most of those problems are usually easy to solve, they can actually leave your system in a half upgraded state some time, which is not that easy to solve.

Self compiling and packaging it yourself might also get you into conflicts, as you might probably need 2 versions of wxwidgets on your machine the same time. Add, that we all do not know why the authors decided to staticially link it against a given version of wxwidgets, probably because their code does not comply with other versions.

If you are not a programmer yourself, and have fun solving such problems, you should definitely stay away from it. There is almost always a couple of alternatives, eclipse or netbeans in the very case. They are at least as powerful and mature IDEs as codeblocks, and well supported in aptosid/Debian.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
saxxonianOffline
Post subject: RE: ride it into the ground.  PostPosted: 29.10.2010, 08:27

thanks to all, netbeans seems to fit my daughter's needs, it's just that it's incredibly slow. Is that normal? We tend to use KDE all the time, in xfce netbeans seems a little fitter. Are there any minimum specs on the HW side?
Again, thanks for all the time and input!

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: ride it into the ground.  PostPosted: 29.10.2010, 09:56
Team Member

Yes, Netbeans (as most IDEs) is quite hardware demanding. I can confirm that it slows down with KDE on older machines. I usually install LXDE on those in order to get them faster. It also helps a bit to use latest sun-java.
Greetings,
Chris

saxxonianOffline
Post subject: RE: ride it into the ground.  PostPosted: 29.10.2010, 12:51

thanx slam! that's helpful. And indeed, the machine is pre-columbian Wink so we'll use xfce.
OT: I actually like the date you joined this forum! subtle humor...

Jump to: