View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
grondiluOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Donations using bitcoins  PostPosted: 23.10.2010, 10:35

slam wrote:

Printing and selling your own currency is a a crime as old as the usage of money itself. Wink

This is just ... not true : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_currency
As far as I know, only private coinage and printing paper as money is forbidden. And it hasn't always been so. At all.
Furthermore, one can very much consider Paypal as issuing its own money, the "Paypal Dollar", whose rate towards USD is determined only by Paypal's fees.

I very much underestimated the potential negative reaction to bitcoin. My bad.

I guess suggesting bitcoin for a tool for donations is not a good idea after all.

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Donations using bitcoins  PostPosted: 23.10.2010, 17:00
Team Member

grondilu wrote:
I guess suggesting bitcoin for a tool for donations is not a good idea after all.
Correct, and please do not promote it any more in our forums. Thanks.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: i am a nigerian prince.  PostPosted: 24.10.2010, 08:44

grondilu wrote:
      hubi wrote:

Even better. A donation of bitcoins worth 100 USD makes you 80 USD.

No wonder you are so keen on it. That's what I call a decent financial cut for the "broker".

I'm not responsible for donations to aptosid but being a moderator of this forum I start to regard your posts as commercial spam.

hubi

Please reconsider what you're writting.

Of course if aptosid can sell their bitcoins at 0.1$/BTC, it would be silly to sell them to me at 0.02$. I'm just offering a safety net.

Bitcoin market is still very small in volume, so there are very few guarantee that aptosid could sell its bitcoins at the current market price.
I'm just trying to give volume and insurance in the market.

Feel free to consider this as a commercial spam if you want, but I think it's absurd, considering the fact that aptsosid has been using Paypal for ages. Paypal charges fares that are very much not insignifiant. I'm just suggesting competition.

i am desperate to get the obscene profit from my family's ancestral oil concession out of southern africa. i've already multiplied it a hundredfold investing in the gem trade. perhaps we can work together?

abdullah.

ps i very much underestimated the negative reaction of some of my former partners to the split of the profits that i calculated. (we princes do have our royal needs and prerogatives). i hope you're not so smallminded, or lacking in imagination.

pps i surely do wish i could transport my cracker ass from Alabama to sweet Paree... OH WAIT! i can.

mauriceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.10.2010, 13:06

It's open source. Take a look at the source and tell me how it's a scam?

17764 Posts in 1313 Topics by 947 Members and all of them are Nigerians trying to steal your money?

grondilu was just suggesting that there are many open source enthusiasts among bitcoiners and some of them may wish to donate to aptosid. Nobody is forced to use bitcoin. Just allow those who wish to use it. You can't lose.

There is a latin expression, 'sui generis', exactly describing such phenomena. Fear and ignorance are usual initial reactions.

devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 24.10.2010, 13:39

100% of your posts to this forum are on (and defending) bitcoin.

greetz
devil

grondiluOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 13:25

Well, there is also Flattr.

http://flattr.com/#video1

hubiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 13:53

Peter Sunde [1] is looking for the cashcow?

flattr.com wrote:
We take 10% of your incoming revenue as a fee to keep the Flattr systems afloat

http://flattr.com/support/faq

[1] Peter Sunde is one of the founders of thepiratebay.org

Good question by Johnny D:
http://torrentfreak.com/band-thanks-fil ... ent-593568

hubi

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 14:28
Team Member

grondilu wrote:
Well, there is also Flattr.

http://flattr.com/#video1
While PayPal is far from perfect, it is at least a well known, secure and cheap solution. It's big enough, mature enough and scrutinized enough to recommend it to our users for donations.

Coming up with something much more expensive and much less trusted, which uses untrue statements about PayPal in it's marketing language, is just commercial spam. Please re-read our Terms of Usage, and re-agree to them before posting again.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: what, me worry?  PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 14:59

maurice wrote:
You can't lose.

sounds suspiciously like "trust me", the two deadliest words in the english language.

maurice wrote:
There is a latin expression, 'sui generis', exactly describing such phenomena. Fear and ignorance are usual initial reactions.

uvaque conspecta livorem ducit ab uva. when it comes to the interweb and finances, a *lack* of fear is the true sign of ignorance.

grondiluOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 16:42

slam wrote:

Coming up with something much more expensive and much less trusted, which uses untrue statements about PayPal in it's marketing language, is just commercial spam. Please re-read our Terms of Usage, and re-agree to them before posting again.

Greetings,
Chris

Lol, I see you've changed the terms of usage. Fair enough, I won't talk about any of the previously mentionned micropaiement systems. I won't name them, nor will I put any links to them. A micro-paiement service is a commercial service, so indeed advertising it here can be considered as commercial spam. Feel free to censure all the links and mentions above in this thread.

However, I'd like to point at that recommending Paypal (I guess I can name this one since it is the one aptosid currently use), is a little bit different from not accepting any other micropaiement service. You're actually not recommanding any donation system, you are imposing one. That's different.

Sidux/aptosid has been my prefered distro for a few years, now. I like it. I even have a "sidux" t-shirt. But there is just no-way I would ever donate using Paypal. I think it's too bad you don't allow more choice for ways of donating.

Last edited by grondilu on 26.10.2010, 18:37; edited 1 time in total

devilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 17:39

Quote:

You're actually not recommanding any donation system, you are imposing one.

we 'imposed' paypal, so, after loosing all our financial background, we could collect aome bucks before a proper donating scheme is set up. As i said before, i am doing so since aptosid took off, but as i rely on other peoples time and ressources, i have to be patient and wait for them to set things up. it wont be long.

greetz
devil

mauriceOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.11.2010, 09:43

Just a quick update. EFF now accepts bitcoin donations. http://www.eff.org/helpout

You can see list of donations sent to EFF's address.

EDIT by slam: Removed commercial & cryptic link. Suspended user for insisting to promote this service. Topic closed.

Jump to: