View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
titanOffline
Post subject: VLC accessing my nas  PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 08:04

I have just done a clean install, I can access my Qnap 119 nas with Dophin but tying to play media with VLC from the nas says local files only. I remember a while back this was also a problem setting up Luckybackup and I had to install smb4k. A google seems to indicate putting the nas in the fstab would solve these problems, is this the best way or are there other options.

Thanks

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: VLC accessing my nas  PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 12:00

Mounting remote filesystems on the vfs level (fstab) makes them equivalent to local ones in all practical regards, however the kernel does not like such filesystems disappearing or choking suddenly (like rebooting the remote system while its shares are mounted locally). Likewise using fstab for mounting remote filesystems halts or delays (depending on the mount options) the boot process if the remote share is not accessible yet. That's why KDE's cifs kpart or gvfs, which allow a stateless access method in userspace, have an advantage for volatile connections, but these also impose a huge performance overhead to the connection and fail to make the access transparent for some applications.

Personally I shy away from using vfs mounts for remote filesystems in a typical home environment, where servers and peers may be rebooted at will and only 'mount' those temporarily when really needed (high throughput, many small files or applications which really can't deal with kparts). For a hardware NAS, which might run 24/7 "sudden" (at least for the connected clients) are likely less of a problem.

titanOffline
Post subject: RE: VLC accessing my nas  PostPosted: 26.10.2010, 17:23

Thanks slh for the usual comprehensive reply, am I right in concluding from your reply that since my Nas is on 24/7 ( 7 W on standby) it is probably OK to put it in the fstab. I don't really want to install cif's Kpart or givfs if there is no advantage since all my fles are already accessable with dolphin. Maybe I will just leave things as they are and move my media back to the HD, at 1.5Tb I have enough space. And maybe get a usb external HD for backup which keeps things simple and imposes no additionl loads on the system

Jump to: