Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Author Message
diblOffline
Post subject: Marvell 9123, SATA 3, btrfs -- anyone try it with Linux?  PostPosted: 27.10.2010, 15:10



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 302
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA
Status: Offline
I'm planning to build a new system this winter. I'd love to put a SATA 3 (6GB/s) SSD in it, for the OS, like one of the Crucial C300s. But I'm finding mixed reports on how well this setup is supported by the Linux kernel. I found one report (ubuntu) that it works full speed with a boot option "libata.force=noncq", to turn off NCQ.

Anyone on the forum try this yet -- any experiences to report?

Thanks.


Last edited by dibl on 29.11.2010, 12:21; edited 1 time in total
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.11.2010, 18:46



Joined: 2010-09-12
Posts: 302
Location: Dayton, Ohio, USA
Status: Offline
I have answered my own question, while building a new system and installing aptosid. I will share here the information, for anyone else who is interested.

motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: Intel i7-950
SSD: OCZ RevoDrive OCZSSDPX-1RVD0120 PCI-E x4 120GB
HDD: (2) WD1002FAEX 1TB

Other info is in infobash below. The Marvell controller on the SSD is not an issue for Linux -- but it might be a BIG problem for the BIOS on your motherboard. On the Asus P6X58D-E (AMI BIOS, updated), once the default RAID0 array on the SSD is disabled, neither of the "drive" devices would appear in the BIOS bootable devices list, even after trying all the suggestions on the OCZ forum. However, I found that Linux (Live CD) had no problem seeing the two 60GB "drives" on the SSD, and I could use fdisk to do the partition alignment. Therefore, I installed an old WD740 SATA drive, and set a 1GB ext4 boot partition on it, and used that to install Grub and /boot, when I installed aptosid on the first SSD drive. I put my 20GB Win 7 VM on the second SSD drive, which is also a ext4 filesystem. After it ran stable for a few days, I set the ext4 mount options for a desktop SSD (discard,noatime,commit=300), and mounted /tmp and the /var logs in tmpfs, to minimize system writing on the SSD. I set swappiness and other vm settings in /etc/sysctl.conf to go easy on the SSD.

I also wanted to experiment with the new btrfs filesystem, using the new WD drives. According to the wiki, the default btrfs configuration on a multi-drive installation is for data to be striped, but metadata is mirrored. Therefore, I connected the two WD drives to the two SATA 3 connectors on the P6X58D-E, and used mkfs.btrfs to set a single btrfs filesystem across both drives, and then set it up for automatic mounting in /etc/fstab. It has been running for 6 days now. I have been making some DVD ISO images, saving them, then deleting them, making new directories, then deleting them, etc., plus I copied about 200GB of music files onto it along with my docs and images. I see some anomalies with the way the btrfs usage statistics are shown, but the filesystem seems to work correctly and very fast from the CLI. For example the "1%" in the infobash output below is not correct. Here is df -h:

      Code:
root@aptosidbox:/home/don# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1              51G  6.0G   43G  13% /
tmpfs                 3.0G  8.0K  3.0G   1% /lib/init/rw
udev                  3.0G  256K  3.0G   1% /dev
tmpfs                 3.0G  588K  3.0G   1% /dev/shm
/dev/sdc1              56G   23G   31G  43% /mnt/REVODATA
/dev/sda1            1012M  100M  861M  11% /boot
/dev/sda2              68G  180M   64G   1% /mnt/WHATEVER
/dev/sde              1.9T  367G  1.5T  20% /mnt/DATA
none                  3.0G  196K  3.0G   1% /tmp
none                  3.0G   15M  3.0G   1% /var/tmp
none                  3.0G  932K  3.0G   1% /var/log
none                  3.0G     0  3.0G   0% /var/spool


Note that it only reports one of the btrfs devices (/dev/sde, but not /dev/sdd), but it includes the full filesystem size on the two 1TB drives. Here is the btrfs filesystem spanning the two WD drives:

      Code:
root@aptosidbox:/# btrfs fi show /dev/sde
Label: none  uuid: 8206cc53-cf7d-4fa1-a62f-b358aedc8658
        Total devices 2 FS bytes used 365.32GB
        devid    1 size 931.51GB used 207.53GB path /dev/sdd
        devid    2 size 931.51GB used 207.51GB path /dev/sde


Anyone who needs more details is welcome to PM me. Comments welcome. If a mod thinks this looks a "dragon", it's OK to move it.

      Code:
don@aptosidbox:~$ infobash -v3
Host/Kernel/OS  "aptosidbox" running Linux 2.6.36-1.slh.2-aptosid-amd64 x86_64 [ aptosid 2010-02 Κῆρες - kde-lite - (201009132215) ]
CPU Info        4x Intel Core i7 950 @ 8192 KB cache flags( sse3 ht nx lm vmx ) clocked at [ 4216.686 MHz ]
Videocard       nVidia GF100 [GeForce GTX 480]  X.Org 1.7.7  [ 1920x1200@50.0hz ]
Network cards   Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit
Processes 197 | Uptime 1day | Memory 835.2/5978.8MB | HDD WDC WD740GD-00FL,OCZ-REVODRIVE,OCZ-REVODRIVE,WDC WD1002FAEX-0,WDC WD1002FAEX-0 Size 2194GB (1%used) | GLX Renderer GeForce GTX 480/PCI/SSE2 | GLX Version 4.1.0 NVIDIA 260.19.21 | Client Shell | Infobash v3.34
 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Powered by Zafenio