View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ragupoOffline
22 Post subject: sshfs mounting of external shares and user rights  PostPosted: 30.10.2010, 20:14

I have an external server with shares that has to be mounted locally.
Problem: when mounting the shares with nfs or sshfs via fstab its root that mounts these shares, and hence whoveer actually logs in on the client machine, the rights to these server shares are root rights.
I have several users that are supposed to get access to these shares with their own rights, and not root rights.
Maybe a script that is executed as user on kde login could be used? Or... any ideas?

Last edited by ragupo on 07.11.2010, 08:00; edited 2 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: sshfs mounting of external shares and user rights  PostPosted: 30.10.2010, 20:44

can we see your fstab line(s) for this?

greetz
devil

ragupoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 30.10.2010, 21:00

sure, they look like this
      Code:
10.0.0.3:/volume1/homes /media/homes nfs defaults 0 0
10.0.0.3:/volume1/web /media/web nfs defaults 0 0
10.0.0.3:/volume2/video /media/video nfs defaults 0 0
10.0.0.3:/volume2/software /media/software nfs defaults 0 0
10.0.0.3:/volume2/klt /media/klt nfs defaults 0 0

...ok I found it in man mount, sry

ragupoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 06.11.2010, 21:22

k, i was hasty there, this is not quite solved yet
from the manual i get that this is what to write in fstab to make sshfs mounting of external drives work
      Code:
sshfs#username@remote_hostname://remote_directory /mnt/DS/home fuse user,allow_other,uid=1000,gid=1000,noauto,fsname=sshfs#username@remote_hostname://remote_directory  0 0

I can't figure out what parts im actually supposed to substitute with my details, specific the username (thats in there twice). Is the fsname=sshfs#username@remote_hostname://remote_directory to be left as it is?

My goal is to make this work so that whatever user issues the mount command will then actually get only their own respective home-dirs mounted. I think that what i dont understand, is that if this is supposed to work for several users, how can i write just one username in here? And if its supposed to work for user with no root rights, root cant be written there as this will require them to know the root pw.
Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Jump to: