View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cocoabeanOffline
Post subject: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 06:27

Hello,

I am using a Geforce4 Ti 4200 with the Nvidia legacy driver downloaded from the Nvidia website. I could never get the packages in the repositories to install correctly. I was used to re-running the script to install the drivers every time I upgrade my kernel, but after upgrading to 2.6.36 the module fails to compile.

I have included a pastebin link to the nvidia installer log file. Any insight is appreciated.
http://pastebin.ca/1980365

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 06:52

did you ever try to follow our manual to build the legacy driver the debian way?
http://manual.aptosid.com/en/hw-dev-hw- ... on-free-3d

greetz
devil

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 08:31

Debians version builds fine against this Kernel.

lotmanOffline
Post subject: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 08:46

Hi,

same problem here. I was wondering if I am the only one because there was no thread in the forum about so I tried myself.

I had to install the driver version from experimental. Purge all nvidia-stuff and just reinstall the same packages by
      Code:
apt-get install -t experimental nvidia-$PACKAGES

Hope that helps

lotman

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 08:58

No experimental needed!
      Code:

towo:Defiant> LANG=C apt-cache policy nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 96.43.18-2
  Version table:
     96.43.18-2 0
        500 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable/non-free amd64 Packages
     96.43.18-0 0
        500 http://frickelplatz.de/debian/ sid/non-free amd64 Packages

Is in main and builds, as i sayed, fine against the actual kernel.

lotmanOffline
Post subject: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 09:14

ok - for my desktop (which is far away at the moment) I needed the newer version of nvidia-kernel-source (but I use a different driver-version...):

Code:

nvidia-kernel-source:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 195.36.31-5
  Version table:
     256.53-2 0
          1 http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ experimental/non-free i386 Packages
     195.36.31-5 0
        500 http://debian.tu-bs.de/debian/ unstable/non-free i386 Packages

lotman

blackforestcoldbloodOffline
Post subject: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 19.11.2010, 07:02

lol
I tried installing the driver and blew the xserver up!
fortunately the system righted itself and everything is back to normal.
The situation I ran into was that the driver from Nvidia seemed to want to install(I was using Krusader as root and got a message to kill the x-server) ... lol it was a scary sight to say the least! BOOM black on black I want my aptosid back! as the song used to say! lol
I guess I'll get along with nv for the time being! lol
bfcb

finottiOnline!
Post subject: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 19.11.2010, 13:09

Let me the first (of many to come) to say that you should not do this sort of thing in X anyway...

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 19.11.2010, 14:19

There are several ways to build nvidia: the debian way, download from nvidia, and unsuported scripts. I have tried all three methods, and the debian way, that is listed in the aptosid manual, works very well. All 3 methods only work reliably after you type sux then init 3. This means that x is shut down. I believe everyone has broken their system at least once while installing video drivers. It's all fixable, and a good learning experience if you have the patience. My suggestion is to follow the procedure in the manual and use the version in sid.

blackforestcoldbloodOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Nvidia drivers not compiling after upgrade to 2.6.36  PostPosted: 19.11.2010, 23:01

finotti wrote:
Let me the first (of many to come) to say that you should not do this sort of thing in X anyway...

I agree but it was on an extra hard drive so lotsa fun, Aptosid reinstalls so quickly that it changes one's perspective...

I just love this distro really. I mean under five to install?

How great is that!?

bfcb

Jump to: