View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
tqkOffline
Post subject: Flash via gnash ought to be enabled on install.  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 21:50

Hey. Wouldn't it be wise to include:

i browser-plugin-gnash - GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player - Plugin
i gnash - GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player
i A gnash-common - GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player - Common

in the default install, seeing as they're needed to access the forum?

irc's been a bust for me so far, but now that I have gnash working, at least I can connect here.

Yes, gnash is buggy (as is flash), but it's needed for some basic stuff these days. Leaving it out and (worst case) forcing my Mom to figure out how to get it is shooting yourselves in the foot.

Love aptosid. Keep it up, thanks ever so much!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: Re: Flash via gnash ought to be enabled on install.  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 22:01

tqk wrote:
[flash plugin] seeing as they're needed to access the forum?

This CMS and its plugins don't require flash at any stage and no content on this site is delivered through flash. If you encounter flash on any page of this website, it would be considered to be a grave bug and fixed using open standards as soon as possible.

tqkOffline
Post subject: Re: Flash via gnash ought to be enabled on install.  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 22:04

tqk wrote:
Hey. Wouldn't it be wise to include:

i browser-plugin-gnash - GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player - Plugin
i gnash - GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player
i A gnash-common - GNU Shockwave Flash (SWF) player - Common

in the default install, seeing as they're needed to access the forum?

irc's been a bust for me so far, but now that I have gnash working, at least I can connect here.

Yes, gnash is buggy (as is flash), but it's needed for some basic stuff these days. Leaving it out and (worst case) forcing my Mom to figure out how to get it is shooting yourselves in the foot.

Love aptosid. Keep it up, thanks ever so much!

BTW, I tried the Iceweasel "Install Plugins" button, and it failed. Prob. Firefox vs. Iceweasel in about:config?

Not a prob. for me; just reporting.

tqkOffline
Post subject: Re: Flash via gnash ought to be enabled on install.  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 22:30

slh wrote:
      tqk wrote:

This CMS and its plugins don't require flash at any stage and no content on this site is delivered through flash. If you encounter flash on any page of this website, it would be considered to be a grave bug and fixed using open standards as soon as possible.

Until I got gnash working, I could not access the forum. It didn't recognize my attempts to login or retrieve my pword. Check your logs.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Flash via gnash ought to be enabled on install.  PostPosted: 03.11.2010, 22:58

This website is accessed, maintained and administrated on systems (and whole architectures) lacking flash support of any kind and using various browsers.

While (session-) cookies are needed for storing access credentials, neither Flash® nor ECMAScript dialects or JAVA® are mandatory for basic access. Compatibility down to text based browser, like lynx, is provided and degrades gracefully.

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Flash via gnash ought to be enabled on install.  PostPosted: 04.11.2010, 07:24
Team Member

Just to add, this site is used and tested since years with virtually every browser. All main functions (specially user registration, login/logout, forum usage, ...) are provided even on pure text based browsers. For more advanced and modern browsers we use some javascript to enhance the user experience, but this is optional, and there is always a no-script fallback.

If browser-plugin-gnash is installed, it will work automaticly in Iceweasel and many other browsers.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
tqkOffline
Post subject: Re: Flash via gnash ought to be enabled on install.  PostPosted: 05.11.2010, 21:42

tqk wrote:
      slh wrote:
      tqk wrote:

Until I got gnash working, I could not access the forum. It didn't recognize my attempts to login or retrieve my pword. Check your logs.

Umm, silly me, that may have been me suffering sidux<--->aptosid confusion. I believe I now have that sorted out. Ignore initial post, sorry.

Jump to: