View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
spacepenguinOffline
15 Post subject: [ok] Plasma crashed, cannot log into KDE user anymore solved  PostPosted: 12.09.2010, 17:27

Emergency: An hour ago the plasma desktop crashed (black desktop, only mouse cursor up and running). Several applications were active: some dolphins, konqueror, kontact, yakuake. I just had fetched some sources with apt-get source in yakuake and wanted to look at them in dolphin. While browsing in dolphin the crash happend. So I knocked out X and wanted to re-login, but wasn't possible. The ksplash appears for half a second, then back to kdm screen.

About 10 minutes before the crash I undeliberately moved a picture that is used as wallpaper on one of my desktops to a different directory. After the crash I fixed the path in ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc. That didn't do the trick, alas.

I tried to log in with a different user, no problem. I tried renaming ~/.kde - no change. So what else can I do? It's KDE SC 4.5.1.

~/.xsession-errors:

Code:
Xsession: X session started for susan at So 12. Sep 18:54:16 CEST 2010
User id(1000) name = susan
euid = root
dir '/var/turboprint/susan' already existing
startkde: Starting up...
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
kded(5850): Communication problem with  "kded" , it probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" : " "The name org.kde.kded was not provided by any .service files" "

<unknown program name>(5848)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId: creating:  "panther;1284310456;939301;5848_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
startkde: Shutting down...
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.

The problem probably is "kded(5850): Communication problem with "kded" , it probably crashed."?

Last edited by spacepenguin on 12.09.2010, 19:43; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Plasma crashed, now I cannot log into KDE user anymore  PostPosted: 12.09.2010, 17:55

if the disk is not full, you could look at perms for Xauthority.

greetz
devil

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject: RE: Plasma crashed, now I cannot log into KDE user anymore  PostPosted: 12.09.2010, 18:07

Disk has about unused 70 GiB... Xauthority? Ok, there's a significant difference between the ~/.Xauthority of my unwilling main user and the one I'm using now temporarily: for the account not working it is 0 Byte with -rw------- and for the working one it's 162 Byte and -rw-r-----. What's the use of Xauthority?

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject: RE: Plasma crashed, now I cannot log into KDE user anymore  PostPosted: 12.09.2010, 18:41

I copied the .Xauthority from my temp user to the not working one, but that does not help. The Xauthority file gets instantly cleaned to 0 Byte when I try to log into KDE. The ICEauthority for the working user is 0 Byte and for the not working has some 500 Byte with a content similar to the Xauthority of the working user. So alas still no progress.

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject: RE: Plasma crashed, now I cannot log into KDE user anymore  PostPosted: 12.09.2010, 19:42

SOLVED! What I had to do was to copy .Xauthority AND .ICEauthority of the new user to the home of the old one AND clear the /var/temp/kdecache-<user> folder. I lost some plasmoids, they are now displayed with a red square in the panel, and the extra wallpaper-themes (time, day and night).

Jump to: