View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ottoOffline
25 Post subject: Look at my fantastic "Lord" aptosid with gnome !  PostPosted: 01.11.2010, 13:52

Idea

Dear aptosid buddies,

Look at my fantastic "Lord" aptosid with gnome (for gnome admirers only, because aptosid already have kde, xfce, and fluxbox and lxde). View and be astonished with quality and the beauty of the Lord aptosid! Aptosid is overdoing it!

http://img832.imageshack.us/i/ofantstic ... ianap.png/

Inspired by the users "bolt" and "muchan" from the aptosid Brazil and the lxde tutorial that I made at the aptosid Brazil some time ago. I used the aptosid lxde as the tip of muchan there because the xfce already comes with gdm and full compatibility with the gnome and It’s much easier to install with lxde than kde. I also follow the tips of the user bolt and "voila" aptosid have a gnome edition made by myself.
Dear devs,
Be cool and don't misinterprete me about it that I know that aptosid gnome It is not supported by the aptosid development. Besides, I don’t intend to convince anyone here and there because I know very well the reasons why It is not suppported by it. I agree with the aptosid dev about not supporting it at all. Otherwise., it is very easy to install gnome with lxde. Afterwards, I’m going to write the tutorial giving the tips of the step-by-step instructions that I followed. But my intention in aptosid Brazil and a lot of gnu linux sites around Brazil is grabbing a lot of new gnome users to the aptosid. We know that many do not use aptosid because it only supports mainly the kde and xfce. But this problem is solved out from now on. Now, the new gnome users to the aptosid are just asking me how-to. The gnome sdmirers can now easily use aptosid with gnome and become new kde/xfce aptosiders. View the post at the aptosid Brazil at http://aptosid.com.br/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... dedf334b9f
Please forgive me to my challlange and be audacious with aptosid gnome.

Cheers.

Arrow

Reply with quote Back to top
ConvBSDOffline
Post subject: RE: Look at my fantastic "Lord" aptosid with gnome  PostPosted: 01.11.2010, 15:23

Hi,

I am trying to build an aptosid gnome flavour.
Can you join me ?

Thanks

ottoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Look at my fantastic "Lord" aptosid with g  PostPosted: 01.11.2010, 15:48

ConvBSD wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to build an aptosid gnome flavour.
Can you join me ?

Thanks

Smile
Thats right! Later on today I will get in touch with you by pm and tell you all the steps of my tutorial.
cheers.
Idea

Edited: Here they are!
Tutorial aptosid with gnome:
As promised here is the tutorial aptosid with gnome and you should follow the following steps:
First download aptosid with xfce. Then
open a terminal as root and type:
1) apt-get update
2) apt-get remove xfce4
3) or apt-get remove - purge xfce (but the above command should work)
4) apt-get remove - purge libxfce
5) apt-get install gnome-core
6) apt-get install pulseaudio
7) then do the reboot and when you see the login screen "Welcome aptosid" below the username box has the language, session and action. Click the Session and see that now appears to option 2. gnome and other options, so here you should keep (choose) the default gnome
8 ) Then do the dist-upgrade in the terminal in text mode (outside the graphical environment) by clicking the Control key + alt + F2, login: root and set your password, then type init 3, type apt-get update to update and apt-get dist-upgrade
9) and finish the dist-upgrade dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig-config (autohinter and then choose "never").
10) When done type reboot to exit or click the text control + alt + f7
Very easy and without major complications. Good luck!
Cheers.

EDITED:
Pay attention with the gnome dist-upgrade from now on. Because Nnw the squeeze is on "freeze", so the new gnome version does not enter the sid. When freeze is over, the gnome dist-upgrade will have more problems than ever.

Laughing

ConvBSDOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.11.2010, 20:58

Thanks otto

We have started to work at aptosid gnome.
Until now we are only two guys who work for that.
We hope that our's work product will bring the possibility to be build using aptosid scripts an aptosid gnome iso.
We can be reached at #aptosid-gnome channel (channel registered by slam).
See http://www.aptosid.com/index.php?module ... ;pid=1.Due to aptosid team we have also an gnome SVN to submitt code.
Since you seems to be an experienced gnome user any help/suggestion will be wellcome.

Hope to see you soon (#aptosid-gnome channel) and share us your's gnome experience.

Greets

Dan

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 08.11.2010, 23:24

otto, imho, 2) 3) 4) is not neccessary. and it's better to keep xfce as backup when
gnome fails to update... you just chose gnome or xfce in session menu of gdm.

(and purge command is "apt-get purge" or "apt-get remove --purge".
single '-' or remove - purge won't work...)

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.11.2010, 00:07

Yes, very wise keeping xfce or fluxbox with any gnome install with sid, it will fail at some point

I built - sidux--200712311434-piper special-gnome-full-i386.iso (2007) and finally wiped it last year, works well if you build it and don't do a dist-upgrade. Not really a gnome person but wanted to see the breakage for myself, so tested it, it does break often. Who knows how it is now (stable enough)

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.11.2010, 00:08

Keep getting errors here when I post and reads like this

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 535 5.7.8 Error: authentication failed: authentication failure

DEBUG MODE

Line : 132
File : smtp.php

sx9Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.11.2010, 23:12

Here,too.

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

Jump to: