View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
friTTeOffline
25 Post subject: VIA Technologies  PostPosted: 11.11.2010, 22:03

I know some of you guys are gurus Wink

Heres something you can help out with if you got time, i got this really sucky onboard gfx that i never gotten to work properly in Linux.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800/K8N800/K8N800A [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)

Is there some drivers available or some source maybe? im so new to that source thing so, thats why im asking.
And dont wanna mess things up kernel wise either.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
towoOffline
Post subject: RE: VIA Technologies  PostPosted: 11.11.2010, 22:15

There is xserver-xorg-video-openchrome, but the quality is ...
So you have only 2 choices, vesa or this openchrome driver.

seasonsOffline
Post subject: RE: VIA Technologies  PostPosted: 12.11.2010, 00:22

Do you have the optional AGP slot that came with that chipset? Even if you don't, a cheap PCI video card (like the Geforce 8400GS) would be far better. If you have an AGP slot, you have more options.

As for the driver, you can try VIA's stuff, but I promise you it will be full of bugs: http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action
Enter Ubuntu 9.04 as your OS and CX700M/VX700 to get the latest driver for that chipset. You can get a closed-source blob that offers 3D or an open-source 2D driver that may or may not better than openchrome.

VIA/S3 is not Linux friendly: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... ;px=ODQ5Mg

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: VIA Technologies  PostPosted: 12.11.2010, 07:09
Team Member

I do have good experiences with xorg-video-openchrome with this chipset, given the low specs the chip comes with - definitely better than with the vesa driver. The proprietary driver from Via can not be recommended at all, stay away from that.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
friTTeOffline
Post subject: RE: VIA Technologies  PostPosted: 12.11.2010, 17:50

No it really sucks =)

Well im better leave it as is, works fine..dont game or anything on this one so.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Jump to: