View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
devilOffline
Post subject: Koffice will be forked  PostPosted: 17.11.2010, 20:34

in this thread you will find some of the reasons, technical and interpersonal.

greetz
devil

Reply with quote Back to top
friTTeOffline
Post subject: RE: Koffice will be forked  PostPosted: 17.11.2010, 21:01

hmm well, this can be both good and bad i guess, dont use any of the k programs but.
Hopefully both teams will come up with a good set of programs

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Koffice will be forked  PostPosted: 17.11.2010, 21:14
Team Member

Actually, it's about a team consisting of one single person (more or less), and another team consisting of all the other people who have worked on Koffice. And it's again about some boring legal stuff ...
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
friTTeOffline
Post subject: RE: Koffice will be forked  PostPosted: 17.11.2010, 21:19

Hmm thats sad, legal issues...well well.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Koffice will be forked  PostPosted: 17.11.2010, 22:32

i do not see any legal issues involved, rather the team and the kword developer having longstanding formal and personal problems.
what are the legal issues you are hinting to?

greetz
devil

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: Koffice will be forked  PostPosted: 18.11.2010, 08:13
Team Member

While one group wants to make Kword work better with Microsoft's closed source file formats, the other group suggests to make Kword a more modern word processor, and not orientating it on MS. Handling closed source formats in an open source application does have not just technical, but also legal issues. Many of the mentioned "personal" issues actually have their roots in this difference of goals, and in the legal problems strategy A might create for the entire Koffice project.

Interesting times for the project, I really hope that it will move toward creating a modern office productivity suite, without taking care for closed source stuff.

Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: Koffice will be forked  PostPosted: 18.11.2010, 09:07

the M$ filters to be able to handle M$-Office formats are seen as mandatory by some of the developers, and so is compatibility with the mobile world (meego). kword developer wants a good linux wordprocessor. as OOo already does the M$ compatiblity part, i could live without that in koffice.

greetz
devil

belzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Koffice will be forked  PostPosted: 18.11.2010, 12:53

you still have to consider that kword should run on tablet os similsrd pieces of hardware in the future. If kword aims to be a modern word processor it is not possible to forget about "average users". This category does not understand what a legal issue is, and they will not pay a device that can not read their brand new ms document...

Jump to: