View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
blackforestcoldbloodOffline
Post subject: Hello!  PostPosted: 09.11.2010, 01:12

Hello and thanks to the dev team.

I've looked for a "sid" type distro that I could use relatively easily and tried Sidux a year or so ago, maybe earlier, and it had too much to do to get it working, and I use a distro for work in the real sense of the word.

But, I want to also be learning and so aptosid looked interesting.

Now....Debian is supposed to be HARD!! lol, I got on the IRC and commented to that and the folks thought it was funny.

The IRC folks are very helpful and I thank them for their comments and help.

I thought that the install was going to be complicated, from looking at the instruction page, and BY THE BY....the manuals are just great! Again, great job to the devs.

I thought there might be some kind of weirdness of partitioning but I usually install to a clean preformatted(to FAT) hard drive and seldom have problems.

However, this time I thought I'd install to a drive with another *nux and the install went smooth as silk. I told the guys on the IRC that I think that if the word gets out that Aptosid is a pussycat you might lose users that want Debian to be HARD!!! Laughing

I think the total time was 5 min and 4(41)? sec and one of the people at IRC thought that was WAY TOO LONG!!! lol

Oh yeah, I asked if the scorpion was going to be the symbol going forward and one of them asked "Is he asking about fred?"

Hilarious! Really!

Anyway.... the distro is fully functional, prints, does everything and is very quick which I really need in a distro.

So... again,

Hi all!
And Great Job Development team!

PS....about the moniker....

I was taught to plow, a garden, behind a BlackForest horse, the name was unusual, when i was but a tad and think that I remember that it was also called a "cold blood" so...when I saw that the distro was based generally out of Germany... hey...what the heck, complicated name but my heart is in the right place hopefully. And, as I commented on my profile, I can STILL see that horse winking at me when I was standing next to him....about 8 hands higher than me! lol....but a great horse....how he ended up here I have no idea to this day, and it is the only one that I have ever seen.

bfcb

Reply with quote Back to top
piperOffline
Post subject: RE: Hello!  PostPosted: 09.11.2010, 22:40

Hi & Welcome to aptosid blackforestcoldblood, enjoy your stay and probably the last distro you install Wink

sx9Offline
Post subject: RE: Hello!  PostPosted: 09.11.2010, 23:34

Nice stories you tell us!
Welcome here to aptosid - have fun!
I think that such stories (doesn't matter wich kind) create an interesting atmosphere in the forums...

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 10.11.2010, 01:04

Viva Schwarzwald! (wherever you may find it ....). Laughing

Post subject: working great!  PostPosted: 19.11.2010, 07:11

The impression that one gets on the net is that Debian is a scary beast that lurks in the forest under bridges along with the trolls and eats little children and unwary Linux users! And that especially the SID monster had really big teeth....all the better to eat little ponies with!

But....I've learned a LOT this last couple of weeks, I've got movies running, even heavily encrypted ones like Tron and War of the Worlds(new one), Koffice is running right smartly, I can listen to my music while working, got printers set up just fine, BlueDevil is not working yet, but it might, BlueMan works in other distros but I think that the guy said that he was going to go commercial with it or something, so that is ok, I'll continue to fiddle with BlueDevil. The nv driver doesn't give the gee-whiz graphics but that isn't really high on my priorities, if anyone has any suggestions on it, I'll gladly bork my system trying them! lol
This is a lot of fun, and the devs and community have done a great job!
bfcb

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: working great!  PostPosted: 19.11.2010, 08:50

do not forget that debian is in deepfreeze, preparing for Squeeze. that also has effect on sid, preventing a whole lot of upgrades trickling in. sids teeth can be sharper as they are right now. but i agree alright, sid has been tamed a bit over the years, and this time freeze is not as invasive as some i remember from the past. the impression that is spread about sid is worse than reality, but please do not forget: a user running sid on his own has a hard time to find good support. this community tries to help that.

greetz
devil

Post subject: RE: working great!  PostPosted: 19.11.2010, 09:33

I agree completely about the help!
bfcb

Post subject: RE: working great!  PostPosted: 20.11.2010, 06:21

I hate to be repetitive but this is just such a GREAT distro!

I just edited my sources list using Krusader. That is one great method to do so!

bfcb

Jump to: