View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
blackforestcoldbloodOffline
Post subject: remastersys notes on attempt to use.  PostPosted: 21.11.2010, 18:09

Hi
This is not a criticism of the distro it is merely a commentary on what happened with me.

I've used Remastersys for several years now to make a "live cd" distro of my finally tweaked Ubu installs, so that in the event of a crash I could just reinstall. I always keep my data off computer on a pen drive.

So, now that I have aptosid tweaked out to my liking I thought I would do the remastersys.

Remastersys is not in the normal repo for aptosid and, upon looking at the Remastersys site on the Debian version I found that it needed the following which should be installed prior to installing remastersys.

squashfs-modules
and either aufs-modules or unionfs-modules

I added in the recommended repos and found that Debian sid offers the following, which I "assume" are the updated versions:

squashfs-tools

aufs-tools
unionfs-fuse

see note below on fsprotect.

I installed both, which may have been the problem, but if I go back and uninstall either and keep the other and then do the two remastersys routines, backup and livecd then the iterations will multiply so, I'll put this on the back burner unless someone offers comments.

Anyway, for those who do not know about remastersys it has a pretty plain menu that shows what it does, there are one or two instructions and the actuall construction of the backup or live cd takes about 5 minutes for aptosid. Burning with K3B takes about 4 minutes(for my system).

Here are the results.
a) It upgraded GRUB to 2(it said that the original GRUB was a "legacy".
b) The live DVD gave what seemed to be the normal desktop but the middle bar with Fred was larger than normal. The welcome was for "no-one", my name was in the name box but it would not take a password of anykind. The "blue box" with my name in it was not there. the last letter of the "enter" box was not there.

The normal grey hyper-enlarged Fred was there the colors were there etc.

Otherwise, other things seemed to work on the menu system I could restartX all that.

c) The backup cd would not function at all. My physical mobo uses the WinFast @ Nvidia installer combination etc. The remastersys system tried to run from the live CD and kicked out the Nvidia installer as not working and recycled.

I normally do not have the hard drive attached when running a live cd, it is just a thing, and when a hd is attached, the backup remastersys kicked to GRUB and ran the system on the hard drive normally.

So, the developer intended remastersys to be for Ubu systems, there is some discussion of attempts to run it with Sidux at the forum. The forum is active so the developer is still maintaining it, the comments on sidux on a thread were that he would work on it, but it is a complicated application to do and it may not be easy to keep it working with something like sid and there did not seem to be a big clamor for it.

1) COMMENT on fsprotect: fsprotect has information which generally says that it works with aufs to "make immutable" the root and other file systems.

COULD IT BE that this part has been removed from "auf" and that remastersys is looking for it and not finding it?

If someone thinks this is the case then I will install it and go at the attempt again.

2) Or could it be that remastersys is looking for a certain word in the "fuse" versions of union that is not there?

I thought I would ask here first before going to the Remastersys forum since the devs here might have more specific knowledge of sid that the developer there might not have.

So, again, this is just some comments for anyone who might want to fiddle with the situation or there might be some easy fix that someone could post and I would see how things go with that.

bfcb

Reply with quote Back to top
devilOffline
Post subject: RE: remastersys notes on attempt to use.  PostPosted: 21.11.2010, 19:04

remastersys does not work with aptosid.
moved to 'dragons'

greetz
devil

Post subject: RE: remastersys notes on attempt to use.  PostPosted: 21.11.2010, 20:14

Thanks devil,
that is all I need to know! Very Happy
bfcb

devilOffline
Post subject: RE: remastersys notes on attempt to use.  PostPosted: 21.11.2010, 20:26

we have a undocumented tool called pyfll for building clean iso, as opposed to what remastersys does.
check on Berlios.

greetz
devil

Post subject: RE: remastersys notes on attempt to use.  PostPosted: 21.11.2010, 20:30

thank you
bfcb

Jump to: