View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
cajunOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 12.09.2010, 23:37

I'm still perplexed as to why I'm not seeing the aptosid, nor getting the 'questions'. It appears at least some of the aptosid packages are installed:

Code:

root@moe:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# dpkg -l | grep aptosid
ii  apt-conf-aptosid                           0.2.0                               aptosid defaults for apt
ii  apt-conf-sidux                             0.2.0                               aptosid defaults for apt
ii  aptosid-archive-keyring                    2010.08.30                          GnuPG archive keys oif the aptosid archive
ii  aptosid-art-kde                            1.5.20                              virtual package for KDE themes in aptosid
ii  aptosid-art-kde-keres                      0.2.15                              KDE theme for the aptosid 2010-02 release
ii  aptosid-art-kdm-keres                      0.2.15                              KDM theme for the aptosid 2010-02 release
ii  aptosid-art-ksplash-keres                  0.2.15                              KDE ksplash theme for the aptosid 2010-02 release
ii  aptosid-art-wallpaper                      1.5.20                              virtual package for wallpapers in aptosid
ii  aptosid-art-wallpaper-keres                0.2.15                              aptosid wallpaper for the 2010-02 release
ii  aptosid-irc                                0.6.1                               Start a suitable IRC client to enter #aptosid
ii  aptosid-manual-common                      02.08.2010.09.12.2-1                the official aptosid manual - common files
ii  aptosid-manual-de                          02.08.2010.09.12.2-1                the official German aptosid manual
ii  aptosid-manual-en                          02.08.2010.09.12.2-1                the official English aptosid manual
ii  aptosid-scripts                            0.4.2                               miscellaneous scripts for aptosid
ii  aptosid-settings-kde                       1.2.0                               provide default KDE settings for aptosid
ii  gfxboot-theme-aptosid                      1.5.20                              aptosid meta theme for gfxboot-compliant boot loaders
ii  gfxboot-themes-aptosid-2010-02-keres-core  0.5.1                               graphical boot logos for aptosid Κῆρες
ii  linux-headers-2.6-aptosid-amd64            2.6.35-23                           Linux image for aptosid on 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-headers-2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64 2.6.35-23                           Header files for Linux 2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64
ii  linux-image-2.6-aptosid-amd64              2.6.35-23                           Linux image for aptosid on 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64   2.6.35-23                           Linux 2.6.35 for 64-bit PCs
ii  openfwwf                                   5.2-0~c1.aptosid.6                  Open firmware for Broadcom BCM43xx (b43) wlan devices
ii  sidux-irc                                  0.6.1                               Start a suitable IRC client to enter #aptosid
ii  sidux-scripts                              0.4.2                               miscellaneous scripts for aptosid
ii  sidux-settings-kde                         1.2.0                               provide default KDE settings for aptosid
ii  udev-config-aptosid                        0.11.1                              custom udev configurations for udev
ii  wireless-regdb                             2009.11.25-0+c1.aptosid.1           wireless regulatory database

But yet, I'm still running on the old kernel:

Code:

root@moe:/etc/apt/sources.list.d# uname -a
Linux moe 2.6.34-0.slh.11-sidux-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 26 14:54:24 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Maybe this information will help someone point me in the right direction.

Reply with quote Back to top
doctordruidphdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 01:29

Quote:
ii linux-image-2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64

It looks like the kernel is there; just to be sure:

Code:
dpkg-query --status linux-image-2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64

If that shows it is installed, then maybe you need to run update-grub, or otherwise check how you are booting your system. Are you booting from your aptosid system, or some other; if another system, you may need to run update-grub on it. If you are booting from the symlinks /vmlinuz and /.initrd.img , you need to make sure they got updated.

cajunOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 01:33

It appears to be installed:

Code:

root@moe:/etc/init.d# dpkg-query --status linux-image-2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64
Package: linux-image-2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64
Priority: optional
Section: kernel
Installed-Size: 109692
Maintainer: Stefan Lippers-Hollmann <s.l-h@gmx.de>
Architecture: amd64
Source: linux-aptosid-2.6
Version: 2.6.35-23
Provides: linux-image, linux-image-2.6, linux-modules-2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64
Depends: module-init-tools, initramfs-tools (>= 0.93) | linux-initramfs-tool
Pre-Depends: debconf | debconf-2.0, dpkg (>= 1.14.21)
Recommends: firmware-linux-free (>= 2.6.35)
Suggests: linux-doc-2.6.35, grub-pc, crda
Conflicts: initramfs-tools (<< 0.93)
Description: Linux 2.6.35 for 64-bit PCs
 The Linux kernel 2.6.35 and modules for use on PCs with AMD64 or Intel 64
 processors.
Homepage: http://kernel.org/

I'll do some looking at the bootup. Thanks!

cajunOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 01:43

I believe you hit upon at least part of the culprit doctordruidphd. When I did the update-grub, I saw it find the .35 kernel, however it is NOT being added into the menu.lst. I suspect the reason could be all the old kernels I have lying around. I need to do some cleanup, then I'll try update-grub again.

doctordruidphdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 01:51

menu.lst? Are you using grub legacy? There might be a problem there. I don't know, I haven't used that in a while.
If you meant grub.cfg, I checked mine and it is indeed there, at the top of the list.

cajunOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 02:02

It appears to be a grub issue. At least at this point. menu.lst still shows .34-11. Grub.cfg shows .35 right at the top, just as I assume does yours.

Code:

root@moe:~# dpkg -l | grep grub
ii  grub-common                                1.98+20100804-4                     GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (common files)
ii  grub-pc                                    1.98+20100804-4                     GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (PC/BIOS version)
ii  grub2                                      1.98+20100804-4                     GRand Unified Bootloader, version 2 (dummy package)

I did go through kernel-remover and removed all but three of the old kernels. Not sure what to do next.

doctordruidphdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 02:17

As far as I know, menu.lst is not used by grub2, only grub.cfg, so it shouldn't matter what is in menu.lst.
Do you have more than one OS installed on your disk? If you have another linux system, I wonder if it has taken over booting, thus not reading your grub.cfg on aptosis. If that's the case, you will either neep to do an update-grub on the other system, or else do a grub-setup on your aptosid system to reinstall it so the system boots from it.
Just my guess.

cajunOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 02:56

No, just sidux (aptosid) is the only OS here. I'll look into the grub-setup.

cajunOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 03:31

grub-install /dev/sdb ----no-floppy resolved the problem here.

root@moe:~# uname -a
Linux moe 2.6.35-4.slh.6-aptosid-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 6 20:55:39 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks to everyone for their help. A special thanks to the Aptosid team!!

vinurOffline
Post subject: aptosid sucess - good  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 08:08

Tried to switch on day one, I don't think that it was entirely successful as it is still not running all of my applications but the hardware issues (no usb devices were detected once inserted on the desktop but were in the file-manager KDE and no DVD burner or detection as a usable device) This was solved by removing the sidux version of hal and leaving the replacement aptosid hal intact. All of the other mods are to extensive to go into and some applications are not going to work under a split personality. The machine is running what it does very well, all hardware issues are solved. Any software issues are not the fault of aptosid as they are not from those repositories.
Oddly... Googleearth with the high performance Nvidia modified requirements and ia32 stuff is functioning very well... I would have expected it to fubar... it works well and I am now an aptosid guy - from sidux
kernel 2.6.35-4.slh.8-aptosid-amd64
99% pleased... congratulations to the developers and edhunter who gave me some good clues and was helpful.

I will figure the rest out on my own. Very Happy
its been a learning experience.

timrichardsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 09:30

I had one laptop that didn't migrate over; it was using repository sidux.net for some reason (obviously something I did in the past).
Changing it to sidux.com then worked as advertised.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
rossiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: howto change from sidux to aptosid?  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 13:37

Hello:

bfree wrote:
Do not just switch directly to an aptosid repository.

The safe option is to change to the sidux.com/debian repository directly for your final sidux dist-upgrade which will ask you if you want to switch to aptosid. That will take care of your sources.list so when you dist-upgrade again you will pull in all the aptosid packages correctly.

It depends on what mirror you were using and exactly how they changed their mirroring. Simply using sidux.com/debian is the safe option and it won't download much but it will take care of changing your system properly including apt key's and the like.

This did not work for me.

When I performed a d-u from the current sidux configuration, it simply did an update. No questions were asked and migration to the new distribution was performed.

Can someone guide me on what to do next?

Code:

uname -a
Linux siduxbox 2.6.34-0.slh.11-sidux-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 26 14:54:24 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Regards,

angelo[/code]

muchan
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: howto change from sidux to aptosid?  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 14:30

Quote:

When I performed a d-u from the current sidux configuration, it simply did an update. No questions were asked and migration to the new distribution was performed.

What do you mean with
"No questions were asked and migration to the new distribution was performed. "
In your view, what migration was performed and how?

you can post your
/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/sidux.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/aptosid.list
and result of
$ apt-cache policy sidux-archive-keyring distro-default

and then someone here will tell the state of your migration, and tell exactly what to do next.

(Edit. sorry, it was my mistake. not sidux.com, aptosid.com in the directory... sidux.list, aptosid.list, of course.)

Last edited by muchan on 13.09.2010, 21:32; edited 1 time in total

pjnsmbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 14:31

muchan wrote:
      Wromey wrote:
With me nearly everthing worked out fine, when switching to aptosid. (Thanx a lot for the new start!)
Only my kernel was not upgraded.

In sidux i used siduxcc to update and upgrade the kernel, becaus the kernel was not updated automatically. Is something wrong with my configuration?

Thanx

Wolfgang

check if you have packages named
linux-image-2.6-aptosid-686
linux-headers-2.6-aptosid-686
installed.
# apt-cache policy linux-image-2.6-aptosid-686 linux-headers-2.6-aptosid-686

(if you have 64bit version, change -686 to -amd64 )

If not, installing them will activate installing new kernel at dist-upgrade.

have a look at an earlier reply in this thread.........

rossiOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: howto change from sidux to aptosid?  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 15:15

muchan wrote:
      Quote:

What do you mean with
"No questions were asked and migration to the new distribution was performed. "
In your view, what migration was performed and how?

you can post your
/etc/apt/sources.list
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/sidux.com
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/aptosid.com
and result of
$ apt-cache policy sidux-archive-keyring distro-default

and then someone here will tell the state of your migration, and tell exactly what to do next.

What I mean bu "no questions were asked" is that in an earlier post it stated
      Quote:
Do not just switch directly to an aptosid repository.

The safe option is to change to the sidux.com/debian repository directly for your final sidux dist-upgrade which will ask you if you want to switch to aptosid. That will take care of your sources.list so when you dist-upgrade again you will pull in all the aptosid packages correctly.
    /etc/apt/sources.list:
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
    # See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy remember that you can #
    # only use http, ftp or file URIs, CDROMs are managed through apt-cdrom. #
    # #
    # Please use /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ instead of this file and create a #
    # separate *.list configuration file for each repository, containing the #
    # actual deb/deb-src desired suites and components for that repository. #
    # #
    # /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list #
    # /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sidux.list #
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

I don't have /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sidux.com.

I don't have /etc/apt/sources.list.d/aptosid.com. Isn't that supposed to be automatically created during the last upgrade?

Code:
root@siduxbox:~# apt-cache policy sidux-archive-keyring distro-default
sidux-archive-keyring:
  Installed: 2007.03.09
  Candidate: 2007.03.09
  Version table:
 *** 2007.03.09 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
N: Ignoring file 'out' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has no filename extension                                                                                                                                   
N: Unable to locate package distro-default                                                                                                                                                                                       
root@siduxbox:~#

Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

Angelo

Jump to: