View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 09.12.2010, 03:38

slam wrote:
Googleearth got bloated more and more, pulls in too many unrelated packages, does not build cleanly, is still closed source ... enough reasons to give it up. Marble is nice, and one can always use maps.google.com online, too.
Greetings,
Chris

What about the older GE versions...are they still good to use?

Reply with quote Back to top
dpdt1Offline
Post subject: Re: Marble Qt Only  PostPosted: 09.12.2010, 10:26

marbleglobe wrote:
Actually Marble itself doesn't necessarily depend on KDE. You can very easily build and package your own KDE-free version of Marble. For earlier Debian releases there was a package maintained that had no KDE dependencies. If you want to build the Qt only version just follow the instructions here:

http://edu.kde.org/marble/obtain.php

thanks, i didnt' know about that.
i'll give it a try..
maybe we could fill a bug in debian and get that "solo" package back in.. (?)

marbleglobe wrote:

Complaining about the "overhead" of the KDE libraries is a bit strange though if you compare it to Google Earth which comes with its own local copies of libraries like Qt, libicu and what not which potentially duplicate those installed on your system already ... Wink

i dont really use GE Razz, but i can understand a debian user who wants to run a GE similar app, and not wanting 2 DEs running in the background. Wink

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to: