View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
XiyiziOffline
Post subject: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 12.09.2010, 22:51

Hi everyone. What with the rebirth of the project I decided to sign up for the forums. And I have questions!

I'm on KDE 4.4.5, but of course I'd much rather be on version 4.5.1. Unfortunately it was released post-freeze and it isn't even in the experimental repos yet so I am at a loss. So what is the best way of getting hold of it? Is compiling the only way? Would it better to wait for it to appear in experimental instead?

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 12.09.2010, 23:04

http://qt-kde.debian.net/

and old forum's thread:
http://sidux.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB ... mp;t=21676

XiyiziOffline
Post subject: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 00:36

Oh! Thanks a lot for that info. I will upgrading this very evening.

iliasOnSIDOffline
Post subject: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 09:17

qt-kde.debian.met gives says that you must aptitude.
Isn't that against the "rules"? Can we achieve the same results with apt?
Besides that, the
aptitude -t experimental-snapshots full-upgrade
wants to remove a lot of packages, including mySql server.
Is there a replacement or I should just wait?

TIA

se7enOffline
Post subject: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 10:09

apt-get -t experimental-snapshots dist-upgrade was ok here
maybe 10 packages got removed

DonKultOffline
Post subject: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 10:14
Team Member

You need to be completely up-to-date before activating this repository.
After that, activate the repository, pin it if you like and issue again a normal dist-upgrade with the -t option as shown, so: apt-get dist-upgrade -t experimental-snapshots
You absolutely don't need aptitude for that…

iliasOnSIDOffline
Post subject: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 10:39

thanks for your help

aptosid is completely up-to-date

about the pinning: since there is no /etc/apt/preferences file, I just created a new one in /etc/apt/preferences.d folder, is that correct?

anyway, I will try again later... the only thing that scares me is the mysql server removal...

thanks again for your help

DonKultOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 10:50
Team Member

iliasOnSID wrote:
about the pinning: since there is no /etc/apt/preferences file, I just created a new one in /etc/apt/preferences.d folder, is that correct?

You are my personal hero now, yeap, that is completely correct. Smile

So, which mysql-server do you mean? There is a mysql-server package and one for -5.0 and 5.1 -- the later is the current while the first of the two should be fine to go (only in stable, removed from testing/unstable). Check that you have no holds and see in the old forum for mysql-transition if you experience problems.

clearyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 12:42

Hi Xiyizi, welcome to the forums and congratulations on being my first moderated thread and first thread in the experimental section Razz

This KDE 4.5.1 repository is named experimental-snapshots for a reason. Please feel free to discuss it to your hearts content, but in the context of this "experimental" section, rather than in the "supported" section of the forums.

Thanks Smile

iliasOnSIDOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 13.09.2010, 17:12

DonKult wrote:
      iliasOnSID wrote:

You are my personal hero now, yeap, that is completely correct. Smile

So, which mysql-server do you mean? There is a mysql-server package and one for -5.0 and 5.1 -- the later is the current while the first of the two should be fine to go (only in stable, removed from testing/unstable). Check that you have no holds and see in the old forum for mysql-transition if you experience problems.

Ok, upgraded the mysql server from 5.0 to 5.1, ignored the apt-listbugs warnings, did the dist-uprade and everything worked like a charm (so far)!

I am running a KDE 4.5.1 aptosid ourea Smile

thanks again

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: KDE updates during the freeze  PostPosted: 15.09.2010, 00:43

OK here's what'll happen on my machine:

Code:

# apt-get -t experimental-snapshot dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kappfinder kdiff3 libkephal4 libkonq5 libplasmaclock4a libprocesscore4a libsolidcontrol4 libsolidcontrolifaces4 libtaskmanager4a
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  akonadi-backend-mysql docbook-xml freespacenotifier kdesdk-dolphin-plugins kremotecontrol libavogadro1 libdbusmenu-qt2 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcmutils4 libkemoticons4 libkephal4a libkidletime4 libkonq5a libkprintutils4
  libmarblewidget10 libplasmaclock4b libprocesscore4b libsolidcontrol4a libsolidcontrolifaces4a libtaskmanager4b sgml-base sgml-data xml-core
The following packages will be upgraded:
  akonadi-server ark blinken cantor cervisia cvsservice digikam dolphin gwenview kalgebra kalzium kalzium-data kamera kanagram kapptemplate kate kbruch kbugbuster kcachegrind kcachegrind-converters kcalc kcharselect kcolorchooser
  kde-window-manager kdebase-apps kdebase-bin kdebase-data kdebase-runtime kdebase-runtime-data kdebase-workspace kdebase-workspace-bin kdebase-workspace-data kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdeedu kdeedu-kvtml-data kdegraphics
  kdegraphics-libs-data kdelibs-bin kdelibs5 kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdelirc kdenetwork kdenetwork-filesharing kdepasswd kdepimlibs-kio-plugins kdesdk kdesdk-misc kdesdk-scripts kdesdk-strigi-plugins kdeutils kdf kdm kdoctools
  kfind kfloppy kgamma kgeography kgeography-data kget kgpg khangman khelpcenter4 kig kiten klettres klettres-data klipper kmplot kmtrace kolourpaint4 kompare konq-plugins konqueror konsole kopete kpartloader kppp krdc krfb kruler
  ksnapshot kstars kstars-data ksysguard ksysguardd ktimer ktorrent ktouch kturtle kuiviewer kwalletmanager kwordquiz kwrite libakonadi-contact4 libakonadi-kabc4 libakonadi-kcal4 libakonadi-kde4 libakonadi-kmime4 libakonadiprivate1
  libgpgme++2 libkabc4 libkblog4 libkcal4 libkdcraw8 libkde3support4 libkdecorations4 libkdecore5 libkdeedu4 libkdesu5 libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkexiv2-8 libkfile4 libkholidays4 libkhtml5 libkimap4 libkimproxy4 libkio5
  libkipi7 libkiten4 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkldap4 libkmediaplayer4 libkmime4 libknewstuff2-4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkonq5-templates libkonqsidebarplugin4a libkontactinterface4 libkopete4 libkparts4
  libkpimidentities4 libkpimtextedit4 libkpimutils4 libkpty4 libkresources4 libkrosscore4 libkrossui4 libksane0 libkscreensaver5 libksgrd4 libksignalplotter4 libktexteditor4 libktnef4 libkunitconversion4 libkutils4 libkwineffects1a
  libkworkspace4 libkxmlrpcclient4 libmailtransport4 libmicroblog4 libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a libokularcore1 libplasma-geolocation-interface4 libplasma3 libplasmagenericshell4 libprocessui4a libqgpgme1 libsolid4 libsyndication4
  libthreadweaver4 libweather-ion4a lokalize marble marble-data marble-plugins okteta okular oxygen-icon-theme parley parley-data plasma-dataengines-addons plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-desktopthemes-artwork
  plasma-scriptengine-javascript plasma-scriptengine-superkaramba plasma-widget-folderview plasma-widgets-addons plasma-widgets-workspace poxml rocs step sweeper systemsettings umbrello
192 upgraded, 23 newly installed, 9 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 235MB of archives.
After this operation, 10.1MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n

kappfinder and kdiff3 will get kicked while:
libkephal4 libkonq5 libplasmaclock4a libprocesscore4a libsolidcontrol4 libsolidcontrolifaces4 libtaskmanager4a
are replaced with new versions.

Jump to: