View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mfdemiccoOffline
Post subject: RAID array  PostPosted: 11.12.2010, 21:51

I have a new computer with Windows 7 on a RAID 1 array. aptosid is on a separate drive as is Grub2. After doing an update-grub, Grub2 sees this array as two separate drives. How can I make Grub2 see the RAID array as one?

Reply with quote Back to top
kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: RAID array  PostPosted: 12.12.2010, 12:48

Is it a hardware RAID1 array? (i.e., separate card that does the RAID1)
or is a BIOS RAID1 array (like the "RAID1" that Intel "includes" which is really software?

Most likely the latter in which case you'd use dmraid on Linux...

You're actually better off using mdraid (full Linux raid) because you can move it to another computer easily w/o a dependency on your pseudo-hardware raid...

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: RAID array  PostPosted: 12.12.2010, 12:56
Team Member

If aptosid sees 2 drives, your RAID1 actually is a so called "Fake RAID". I suggest to give that up and make 100% usage of your disk space again.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: RAID array  PostPosted: 12.12.2010, 13:08
Team Member

Just to add: Aptosid fully supports serious hardware RAID out of the box, but not all software and fake RAID setups. If you depend on this, please see our old site, the forum and the wiki there contain a lot of information for it. But again, please seriously consider to use the second HDD for something much more usefull (backups, tests, etc.) instead.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
mfdemiccoOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: RAID array  PostPosted: 12.12.2010, 15:30

kenyee wrote:
Is it a hardware RAID1 array? (i.e., separate card that does the RAID1)
or is a BIOS RAID1 array (like the "RAID1" that Intel "includes" which is really software?

Most likely the latter in which case you'd use dmraid on Linux...

You're actually better off using mdraid (full Linux raid) because you can move it to another computer easily w/o a dependency on your pseudo-hardware raid...

Yes, it is a BIOS RAID 1 array. If I choose one of the RAID disks to boot Windows from in Grub2, is that a problem? Should there be an 'insmod mdraid' in grub.conf somewhere? I don't see it.

kenyeeOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: RAID array  PostPosted: 20.12.2010, 18:42

no, not a problem...windows should boot up and do the bios/software raid thing and find the other drive.

You want *dm*raid, no *md*raid if you want to be compatible w/ Intel's BIOS RAID.
I wouldn't bother though Wink

mfdemiccoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: RAID array  PostPosted: 21.12.2010, 15:01

Actually, I got it sorted out. It was simple. I just had to install dmraid. The RAID 1 array appears in /dev/mapper. Grub2 sees the array as one drive and I auto mounted it as ntfs read only in fstab. I have a second drive that I installed various Linux distros and Grub2 to, and just want to leave the RAID array to Windblows 7.

Jump to: