View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mzOffline
Post subject: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 25.11.2010, 02:25

I was wondering if anyone has tried using the integrated graphics in intel core i3 or i5 processors. Has xorg and kernel support caught up to this? I am trying to decide what to use in a new machine.

Reply with quote Back to top
titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 25.11.2010, 21:17

I recently changed to an i3, mainly for visualisation, the 2/3d graphics work fine.

HeSaidOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 25.11.2010, 22:24

My thinkpad has an i3 with integrated graphics. I get 600 fps in glxgears and google earth pans and zooms smoothly.
--
Neal

aptosid 32-bit eeePC 900A

mzOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 26.11.2010, 14:59

Thanks for the info. I just ordered parts so we'll see how it goes.

CrustOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 02.12.2010, 08:14

I use an i5. I don't recommend it because the dual screen and some acceleration is still quite buggy.

broweOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 03.12.2010, 15:59

Good point Crust. Whether it's on the mb or the cpu you can only expect a certain amount of performance from integrated graphics. But from what I've seen with games or movies etc the graphic performance of i3/i5 integrated is sufficient for single screen output.

mzOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 12.12.2010, 20:49

Well, I gave it a try and ended up installing an nvidia card. Integrated graphics mainly worked but was sub-par in some areas (HD video playback and desktop effects) I also never got a working text console (discussed in another thread). Also, my monitor never suspended with intel graphics, but it does with nvidia.

Nvidia just works.

titanOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 12.12.2010, 22:41

I wonder if it may be a mobo issue, my i3 is fine with HD playback and text console although some desktop effects don't work but I thought that was a KDE problem, I don't use them anyway.My board is a Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 Monitor suspends OK as well.

LanziOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 14.12.2010, 11:55

Slightly OT: For Dualmonitor do you recommend more nvidia oar ATI/AMD?

Can I run it with the free xorg drivers?

towoOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 14.12.2010, 12:14

I would prefer ATI HD3xxx series Card with free drivers.
Then you can use the power of xrandr.

slhOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 14.12.2010, 12:30

xserver-xorg-video-radeon is working fine in dual-monitor setups for years, I have used it with r200 and am using it with r300 and rv630 radeon chipsets; the same goes for xserver-xorg-video-intel (i945GME). Just reads the specs carefully which outputs can be used concurrently. as especially for onboard graphics, it may only be possible to use one analogue port plus either DVI XOR HDMI/ display port, but not two digital ones (preferred) at once (hardware limitation; this should be less of a problem with discrete graphics cards).

LanziOffline
Post subject: RE: Anyone using intel core i5 integrated graphics?  PostPosted: 14.12.2010, 16:09

Thanks! Right now I use onboard intel GMA X4500HD. Two digital outputs would be great. I have HDMI and DVI, but i could be, like slh already said, that they will not work at the same time.

Jump to: