View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: formerly external usb2 HD not seen when connected SATA  PostPosted: 16.12.2010, 04:27

i have a WD Caviar Black 640G harddisk that i bought 18 months ago in a usb2 Elements enclosure. it worked fine. now when i take it out of the enclosure and connect it via SATA it is not seen. neither fdisk nor blkid nor gparted see anything.

is there some HarryPotter incantation i can use to get this to work?

a new Hitachi Deskstar 1T goes back and forth between the WD usb2 enclosure and SATA no problem.

this link from our forums tells me i may be s***-out-of-luck when it comes to adding this disk to a Logical Volume: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other- ... s-1tb.html

ps now that i think of it, Western Digital probably didn't want people pulling these out and using them as internal drives. the price was very low, actually LESS than the bare drive. i was very surprised when i threw caution (and warranty) to the wind and cracked open the enclosure. surprised at the quality of the drive included.

Reply with quote Back to top
slamOffline
Post subject: RE: formerly external usb2 HD not seen when connected SATA  PostPosted: 16.12.2010, 07:37
Team Member

My first guess is jumpers, if there is no jumper manual printed on the HDD simply try all possible combinations.
Greetings,
chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: formerly external usb2 HD not seen when connected SATA  PostPosted: 16.12.2010, 14:46
Team Member

dmesg might offer some clues as to what is happening, or at least determine if the drive is being seen at all.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.12.2010, 16:08

Take a look at the SATA channel in your BIOS, and see whether changing the mode makes any difference. Also try different SATA motherboard connectors.

ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: thanks men.  PostPosted: 17.12.2010, 14:11

hello men,

all excellent suggestions.

thank you for your time and expertise.

d8D

ike.

Jump to: