View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
houndhenOffline
Post subject: [solved]new install upgrade questions  PostPosted: 22.12.2010, 14:32

Didn't see anything under installation that answered my questions.

Installed Aptosid kde full 32 bit. Did the upgrade like instructed in the manual
      Quote:
Log out of KDE.
Go to Textmode by doing Ctrl+Alt+F1
logon as root,
and then type:
init 3
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get clean
init 5 && exit
After doing Ctrl+Alt+F1 and logging in as root, I didn't type 'init 3' but the dist-upgrade seemed to go fine. Then after the upgrade and clean, when I type 'init 5 && exit' I was not able to get back to the gui. Is that because I didn't type 'init 3'? Also, what are the '&&' for?

During the upgrade, I got a message about kernel 2.6.35-4 but two things were missing and that I needed to get them. They were rt181686d-2.fw and rt181686d-1.fw. I didn't understand where and how to get them and start using them.

I have used linux for 5 or 6 years now and multi-boot my computer with XP and 4 or 5 linux distros. I keep a couple that I work with on a daily basis and swap the others out as I see fit. I like to see what the new distros look like and how they work. It is a learning experience for me.

Last edited by houndhen on 22.12.2010, 21:24; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
bfreeOffline
Post subject: RE: new install upgrade questions  PostPosted: 22.12.2010, 15:16
Team Member

You really should have done the "init 3" as it (along with not running the dist-upgrade in an x-terminal in the first place) are the important parts of the instructions. If you are still stuck at the terminal you can try to "init 3" and then "init 5" which should stop and start kdm. You might be lucky and everything might be ok but you might have made a mess of things by having X and kdm running during the dist-upgrade. Basically you didn't change to run-level 3 so you didn't stop kdm so running "init 5" does nothing as you are still in runlevel 5.

The && means "and if that was ok then do this" so "init 5 && exit" means switch to run-level 5 and if that is ok then exit the console.

The messages about the rt* firmwares said that you "may" be missing things you need, not that you are. It's extremely unlikely you need these firmwares but if your network card has problems then you can check the release notes for the advice on where to get the firmwares.

houndhenOffline
Post subject: RE: new install upgrade questions  PostPosted: 22.12.2010, 21:24

Thanks, bfree. Using apt-get without the gui running is different than using synaptic. Maybe I will get a handle on it before I mess up the install.

Jump to: