View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Luis_POffline
Post subject: CLI midi player  PostPosted: 30.12.2010, 13:17

I'm searching for a simple CLI midi player. I've tried timidity and playmidi. In the first, timidity, in one of my computers, the .mid file is reproduced, but in the console appears a warning about some instruments (tracks) are missing and they do not sound. How can I get these instruments? In this computer playmidi does not work.

Also, in the other computer, playmidi does not work and the problem is worse: no sound and a warning that says: " /dev/sequencer is missing", and really, no sequencer is on /dev. By the way, timidity neither goes in this computer.

Any clue will be very appreciated. Regards.

Luis_P

Last edited by Luis_P on 30.12.2010, 18:25; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: CLI midi player  PostPosted: 30.12.2010, 14:35

maybe pmidi

Package: pmidi
Description: A command line midi player for ALSA
ALSA is an effort to create a modules sound system for Linux,
while maintaining full compatibility with OSS/Lite.
This program works with latest ALSA 1.0 drivers and former 0.9 versions.
This is a straightforward command line program to play midi files
through the ALSA sequencer.
As you can specify the client and port to connect to on the command
line it is also useful for testing ALSA or clients that need to receive
sequencer events.
Homepage: http://www.parabola.me.uk/alsa/pmidi.html
Tag: implemented-in::c, interface::commandline, interface::text-mode, qa::orphaned, role::program, scope::utility, sound::midi, sound::player, use::playing, works-with::audio, works-with::file

Luis_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.12.2010, 17:51

Sorry, Muchan, but pmidi neither goes:

Code:
lluis@myxbox:~/Downloads$ pmidi -l
 Port     Client name                       Port name
 14:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0

lluis@myxbox:~/Downloads$ pmidi -p "14:0" imnotinlove.mid

The console remains silent and the speakers too. Sad
(Alsa is running)

bfreeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 31.12.2010, 18:31
Team Member

A midi through port does not sound like what you want, a through port will try and forward it's inputs out to other equipment (midi is a protocol used to communicate between audio devices and has in, out and through ports).

I'd suggest you try and install freepats and try again with timidity. If this isn't sufficient you can also try adding fluid-soundfont-gm (and maybe fluid-soundfont-gs also).

Finally there is no guarantee that you will ever be able to play any random midi file as it was intended unless you know it was written for a "standard" soundfont which you have access to, so while many midi files you can find are "standard" and will play easily some can be very specific, midi is not like a wav/mp3/ogg, it is instructions on how to play instruments.

p.s. I have musician friends with rooms full of equipment from whom I learned about these things, I don't play with them myself so I may be slightly off the mark.

Luis_POffline
Post subject: Problem solved  PostPosted: 07.01.2011, 11:44

I've been some days away from home, and therefore I've been unable to post. Sorry.

I followed your advice, bfree, and timidity runs now very well. Of course, I knew that .mid files are very different that .ogg or .mp3 ones, but I needed to heard midi files. The instruments/tracks which I asked for in my first post, were in the fluid-soundfont-gs and fluid-soundfont-gm packages, and, after a little tune of /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg, all is OK now.

Thank you very much.

Luis_P

Jump to: