View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
arochesterOffline
Post subject: USB Flash is "write-protected". How do I get past  PostPosted: 17.01.2011, 16:18

My youngest daughter teaches university in China. She has brought home a USB Flash Drive , that the computer identifies as, an "Aigo Miniking."

I have Googled "Aigo Miniking". There must be two different housings. Google shows one with a switch to lock/unlock. The one she has has NO PHYSICAL SWITCH.

Gparted will not format the Drive and reports that it is "write-protected."

I have tried "Properties" but I can't change it.

Is there a way of removing "write-protection" please?

Reply with quote Back to top
slhOffline
Post subject: RE: USB Flash is "write-protected". How do I get p  PostPosted: 17.01.2011, 18:02

It's not possible to answer this question, as it is technically possible to disable write access through a physical switch, just like it is to disable it through its firmware (GPIO based) - no one can imagine which options this particular manufacturer has chosen; it's even possible that all memory cells of the USB stick are worn out and simply broken. In most cases, a behaviour like this should affect all operating systems alike, although it may be imaginable that some vendor offers a special lock/ unlock tool (in case of a soft-lock implemented through GPIO) - which would be strange, but not impossible. USB sticks boasting with (mostly worthless) encryption features might even just expose an emulated CD-ROM drive, to expose the proprietary windows drivers required for accessing the device.

dptOffline
Post subject: RE: USB Flash is "write-protected". How do I get p  PostPosted: 17.01.2011, 18:14

What a better place to find out other then China?
With due respect to slh.

dpt

slamOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: USB Flash is "write-protected". How do I g  PostPosted: 18.01.2011, 11:15
Team Member

slh wrote:
...USB sticks boasting with (mostly worthless) encryption features might even just expose an emulated CD-ROM drive, to expose the proprietary windows drivers required for accessing the device.
For those the usb-modeswitch tool might help (as it already does for UMTS/3G devices and printers/scanners).
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Jump to: