View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
delta9Offline
Post subject: installation of nvidia driver will not complete correclty  PostPosted: 23.01.2011, 14:32

hello,
when installing (reinstalling) the nvidia driver i get this:

Code:
Setting up nvidia-glx (195.36.31-6) ...
No diversion 'diversion of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.so to /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.so.xlibmesa by nvidia-glx', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a to /usr/lib/nvidia/libGLcore.a.xlibmesa by nvidia-glx', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.a to /usr/lib/nvidia/libglx.a.xlibmesa by nvidia-glx', none removed.
Processing triggers for libgl1-nvidia-alternatives ...

To install the nvidia driver i have followed the aptosid manual. My graphics card is a gforce 7xx.

Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Reply with quote Back to top
broweOffline
Post subject: RE: installation of nvidia driver will not complete correclt  PostPosted: 24.01.2011, 19:59

Since you are using GeForce 7xx you are correct to install current driver. Double check /etc/X11/xorg.conf that Section "Device" lists Driver "nvidia" rather than "nv". Also try a reinstall by apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-glx. Follow the manual and do a reboot to pick up the modified kernel. If this doesn't work, post infobash -v3 and xorg.conf.

delta9Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.01.2011, 16:18

hello browe,

in xorg.cong the section device is correctly listed as "nvidia". Have reistall nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx. To install the drivers i had followed the manual and had no problem at all till recently. I have also found some similar topics to forums here and there but not a solution(or an applicable one).

Thans for your time and help

broweOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.01.2011, 16:58

Another option is to install the driver by apt-get from experimental or directly from nvidia. First remove all nvidia packages, see dpkg -l|grep nvidia and reomve what's listed with a purge --remove.

First try experimental:

Add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list

deb http://ftp.gr.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free

then:
apt-get update
apt-get install --reinstall nvidia-kernel-source nvidia-glx/experimental

If that doesn't work, try the installer from the nvidia site, try 260.19.12 if you are running 64bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-disp ... river.html

BTW I'm using an 8500GT card with 64 bit kde and using the nvidia driver in sid, installed per aptosid manual. The 7xx cards are one generation older, but still on the latest driver supported list. I do know the LE editions of those cards had issues with some drivers, but I believe that's been addressed with the latest drivers. Hope this helps, and good luck.

delta9Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 27.01.2011, 16:37

Browe,
notebook died this morning while watching a movie....
Screen went blank, heard a sound like something burned
and notebook shutdown. Now when i press the power button it reboots every 2 secs untiil i unplug it. I checked hard disk, ram and battery, none of them is the problem. So it will take a while till i fix it or buy a new one.

Thanks a lot for your time and effort

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.02.2011, 12:24
Team Member

As most people with Nvidia cards are probably not aware, the new free and open source driver Nouveau is already enabled in Aptosid kernels, and does work well for most cards and use cases. So, it's time to finally get rid of the closed source malware, and potentially problematic 3rd party repositories. Here is how to do that:

In KDE System Settings turn all desktop effects off. Remove all 3rd party repositories from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. Remove all traces of nvidia in: /etc/default/dmakms, /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ and /usr/src/.

Code:
init 3
apt-get purge ^nvidia* ^libnividia* xserver-xorg-video-nv
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get install --reinstall xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

Reboot. You are using the free open source Nouveau driver now. Please post any issues you might have with this HowTo.

Greetings,
Chris

Last edited by slam on 19.02.2011, 15:15; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.02.2011, 12:44

"So, it's time to finally get rid of the..."

For me, "finally" is the time when nouveau is really matured.
(Like "finally" has not yet come with gnash...)

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.02.2011, 15:16
Team Member

Muchan, as said - depends on the use case. For many users Nouveau is already sufficient, and it will improve very much over the next months. Gnash is a different story.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
towoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.02.2011, 15:29

Quote:
and it will improve very much over the next months.

You will be our messias since you can look in the future.
We will all pay homage to you.

slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.02.2011, 15:45
Team Member

Just to move this back from jokes to reliable information: Everyone is free to follow the development progress of the Nouveau components here: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Source
Greetings,
Chris

mooseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 18:57

And to check the current status of the feature matrix of nouveau per chipset: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix or the current status as stated on http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Quote:
Any 3D functionality that might exist is still unsupported. Do not ask for instructions to try it.

It is probably a matter of opinion, but having no 3D functionality on a 3D card is not exactly what I would call sufficient, specially in these times of desktop effects. I agree with muchan, the time to "finally get rid of ..." has yet to come, and I'm looking forward to it. Telling people to switch too soon might prove to be a big disappointment.

Jump to: