View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
slamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 16.02.2011, 13:22
Team Member

http://sidux.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB ... mp;start=7 - and please stop extending posts into other topics and pretending to quote while actually changing the text.
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Reply with quote Back to top
mooseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 17.02.2011, 08:37

Thanks a lot. It's sad that asking nicely give no results whereas breaking the politeness policy works.

Anyways these things slh said in june 2007 are now outdated.

CONFIG_TIMER_STATS has almost zero runtime overhead since about november of 2007 as you can read in this archlinux discussion, or from timer_stats.txt in the kernel documentation.

CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND is enabled in aptosid kernel. Either the scanner problem doesn't matter anymore or it has been fixed.

For those who may have trouble with this option in the kernel causes trouble, then it's easy to disable it without recompiling the kernel, from [Barry-devel] The many ways to enable/disable CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND's autosuspend mode

Quote:
/etc/modprobe.d/ with a file containing
"options usbcore autosuspend=-1"

If your system needs the modprobe configuration file above, and if your system uses initrd (probably does) then you will need to rebuild the initrd for your kernel for this to take effect. For example:

dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.22.1

And this makes sense as I said earlier powertop seems to be working out ot the box on aptosid-2011-01-amd64, which had me worried when you said it could cause potential harm as I can't afford my system being harmed, it is my work tool.

If there are other details from previous discussions that you know about, you're very welcome to give them.

-edit-

Allow me to ask why according to you discussing powertop is unacceptable and considered "extending the topic" while discussing pm-utils and powerdevil is not.

I'll explain how powertop is relevant to this very topic.

Laptop-mode-tools deals with power management on laptop, it has been removed because of a conflict in debian with pm-utils which deals with suspend and hibernate and has new power management features (the matter is discussed in this debian bug report).

Removing laptop-mode-tools means I lost the simple facility I used to deal with power management on my laptop, powerdevil is scarce on options and some are not working yet, I know nothing about pm-utils which seems to come with no hooks to do actual power management ( /etc/pm/config.d/ and /etc/pm/power.d/ are empty), so the other tool to dopower management is powertop, I gave it a try and turns out it seems to work out of the box and could be a solution to the removal of laptop-mode-tools until either the conflict is resolved, or powerdevil improves.

timrichardsonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 17.02.2011, 10:21

You're looking for love in all the wrong places ... note my post above, where you will find the directory with hooks for pm-utils and power management. At least on my i386 machine, there's quite a lot going on there; it's pretty close to laptop-mode tools, I think. iwlagn power management is broken which will affect a lot of laptop users, but it's broken in both pm-utils and laptop-mode tools because it's broken in the kernel.

powertop was introduced into this thread because it has interactive functionality to implement some powersaving modalities. I'm a long way from being an expert, but I think the kernel configuration choices by slh disable some statistics collection (for good reasons), and won't affect the interactive power tweaks of powertop, so it does seem off topic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
ikeinthaiOffline
Post subject: snippy is not becoming.  PostPosted: 17.02.2011, 11:59

timrichardson wrote:
You're looking for love in all the wrong places ...

++1

getting snippy /snappy/snarly with any team member... i don't find it so attractive... no matter how you FEEL you've been talked to.

any complaints about how slh deigns to do things... they're just idiotic.

(the most any of us should think about giving is the gentlest, most respectful of suggestions.)

these people carry us on their backs. they give us the most awesome operating system on the planet FOR FREE.

I LOVE THEM!!!

nobody's EVER given me anything for free before, other than Moms (and i think that was really Pop's idea... and i doubt he was considering my welfare at the moment... of my conception).

there was lots of this kindergarten nya nya nya during the birth-by-fire of aptosid. it's been blessedly absent since the split.

show the creators of aptosid proper respect, please.

ike (unapologetic aptosid fanboy/arselikker)

muchan
Post subject: RE: snippy is not becoming.  PostPosted: 17.02.2011, 15:35

(Let's stay on technical topic on this forum.
Not changing the thread to interpersonal discussion.)

mooseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 18:35

timrichardson wrote:

Indeed. I was looking in pm-utils documentation and the README only mentions those /etc directories.

I see now the new power saving features of pm-utils. But still I find laptop-mode-tools.conf more convenient to use than the pm-utils way of doing thing. IMHO pm-utils settings are not as easy to understand and modify, which usually means preventing users from doing so. We'll see if it improves on this over time.

DeepDayzeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 23:48

moose wrote:
      timrichardson wrote:

Indeed. I was looking in pm-utils documentation and the README only mentions those /etc directories.

I see now the new power saving features of pm-utils. But still I find laptop-mode-tools.conf more convenient to use than the pm-utils way of doing thing. IMHO pm-utils settings are not as easy to understand and modify, which usually means preventing users from doing so. We'll see if it improves on this over time.

Right now, looks like laptop-mode-tools is getting deprecated in favor of pm-utils. So it should hopefully improve in time to fully take over the laptop mode functions

r2rienOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.02.2011, 13:43

Hi,
firstly thanks to any aptosid devevelopers/maintainers/contributors, enjoying it since long

I am posting here after serveral searches, this post seemed to me the most appropriate.
If it isn't the case, please don't hesitate to tell we where it could be more appropriate or where to file a bug.

Regarding laptop-mode-tools,
Since upgrade of pm-utils - and purge of laptop-mode-tools,

Suspend, while completing first cycle, systematically hang at second cycle :
cold boot > suspend > resume > suspend >> hang :
screen shortly goes DPMS
+ shortly after screen goes black but not off (like blank screensaver)
+ [need hard reboot, keyboard/RSEIUB non-functional]

I reproduced this in any kernel since post linux-headers-2.6.37-0.slh.18-aptosid-amd64 2.6.37-18 (2.6.37-1 series if I remember well)
I thought this was due, and properly announced breakages by slh in changelog, to my nvidia QuadroFX2800M, nvidia blob and new xserver-xorg-video-nouveau.

However, after juggling around xorg.conf DPMS, pm-utils (/etc & /usr/lib/) settings, acpi-support, acpi-backlight=vendor, vbetool, uswsusp...without success,
I tried debian's linux-headers-2.6.37-1-amd64 wich seamlessly completed a dozen of suspend/resume cycle

Today I repoduced it with new 2.6.37-1.slh.3 except without the blank screensaver state and directly hanging after screen DPMS off

Again, please don't hesitate to forward me to any possible more appropriate place
thanks again - cheers

PS: I hacked a bit pm-utils output logging functions, with smthin like:
      Code:
[2011-02-21 19:48:37] =======================================
[2011-02-21 19:48:37] ### Finished.
[2011-02-21 19:48:37] =======================================
[2011-02-21 22:19:45] ### Initial commandline parameters:
[2011-02-21 22:19:45] ---------------------------------------
[2011-02-21 22:19:45] ### Running hooks for suspend.
[2011-02-21 22:19:45]
[2011-02-21 22:19:45] Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change suspend suspend:
[2011-02-21 22:19:45] /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/000kernel-change suspend suspend:  success.
[2011-02-21 22:19:45]
[2011-02-21 22:19:45] ...
[2011-02-21 22:19:48] =======================================
[2011-02-21 22:19:48] ### performing suspend
[2011-02-21 22:19:48] .......................................
[2011-02-21 22:53:20] ### Awake.
[2011-02-21 22:53:20] ---------------------------------------
[2011-02-21 22:53:20] ### Running hooks for resume
[2011-02-21 22:53:20]
[2011-02-21 22:53:20] Running hook /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume suspend:
[2011-02-21 22:53:21] /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/99video resume suspend:  success.
[2011-02-21 22:53:21]
[2011-02-23 13:25:43] ...
[2011-02-21 22:53:21] =======================================
[2011-02-21 22:53:21] ### Finished.

so I remain at the disposal of anybody interested in it

r2rienOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 08:51

Hi, just to say that I reproduced it with last linux-headers-2.6.37-2.slh.2-aptosid-amd64

Jump to: