View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
wrenchOffline
Post subject: (SOLVED) video fail during boot with 2.6.37.1 kernel  PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 17:09

3-1/2 years with sidux/aptosid, and this is my first epic fail.

After dist-upgrade to kernel 2.6.37.1, kernel loading results in screen blackout at the line "...populating udev". After more than a day of troubleshooting and failure, I am reduced to this simple procedure, which still fails:

fresh install aptosid 2011-01 xfce-64
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot
"...populating udev" - screen blanks
monitor goes to power-saving mode
computer still runs based on recall of terminal entries while it is inoperative

My system is AMD64 dual-core with Gigabyte motherboard and Gigabyte GS8600 video card.

Anyone defeated this problem?

Last edited by wrench on 20.02.2011, 18:03; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
towoOffline
Post subject: RE: video fail during boot with 2.6.37.1 kernel  PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 17:19

Please hit e at the grub screen, add nouveau.modeset=0 at the kernel-command, ctrl+x for boot.
After the boot, oben /etc/default/grub, add there nouveau.modeset=0 and do updaet-grub.

wrenchOffline
Post subject: RE: video fail during boot with 2.6.37.1 kernel  PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 18:06

Thank you, towo. That may be the fastest fix ever, and I did not expect that, especially for some time after the freeze ended. Your solution worked perfectly.

wrench

slamOffline
Post subject: RE: video fail during boot with 2.6.37.1 kernel  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 08:14
Team Member

Removing support for the Nouveau driver without information about alternatives is definitely not enough in an open source project. Here is a link to what happend, and the choices our users do have now: http://aptosid.com/index.php?module=wik ... g=GoNvidia
Greetings,
Chris

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
arwaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.02.2011, 08:09

@slam:
Thank you for the nouveau howto. It did work really good here. Some minor things might be added/changed in the howto:

apt-get purge ^nvidia* ^libnividia* xserver-xorg-video-nv

I think that "^libn>i<vidia*" is a typo?

The topic "Reboot." should be written more at length: "It is important to reboot the system to let the system set up nouveau correctly." or something like this. Yes, I did not see that I have to reboot in my first attempts. Wink

It might be a good hint, that you could choose the XRender extension as composite backend in the systemsettings. This works fine and fast enough if switching the effect speed to "instant".

Also one could try to install "libgl1-mesa-dri-experimental" for trying OpenGL at his own risk. It is slower than the closed nvidia driver but it did work fine here, too. I even could play xmoto with this. (NV44A [GeForce 6200])

Thanks,
arwa

Jump to: