View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GünterOffline
Post subject: Optimize Aptosid for (very) fast startup  PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 14:45

Hi folks!

First of all: I hope I put this topic in the right place and I also hope it doesn't exist already (however neither good old google nor the forum search found anything related)

Then: I'm kind of new to aptosid, so please excuse naive questions and use newbie language Wink

My question: I have aptosid installed on a "media-computer", i.e. a pretty old desktop computer (specs see below) which is only used to serve as DVD/mp3 player and connects to a monitor and a beamer.
I use XBMC as a media player, which works quite fine, especially since you can boot directly into XBMC which makes the whole startup pretty fast.
Thing is: I would like to further optimize the startup, so that the computer boots as quickly as possible into XBMC, I don't really need a lot of things, processes, add ons...
there is only:

- ASUS A7V333-X Motherboard
- AMD Duron 1300MHz processor
- 512MB DIMM SDRAM
- Seagate 80GB HD
- GPU: ATI Radeon 9600 (AGP)
- Audio: Creative SB!5.1 Live (PCI)
- other stuff: Lg DVD-drive; logitech wireless mouse/keyboard;

the only thing i might add sometime is a PCI TV-card...

I was able to boost the startup by "optimizing" BIOS (don't search for drives...) and setting the GRUB timout to 0s;
however besides the facht that the "DHCPDISCOVER" takes 10s there are for sure other processes I don't need.

I am grateful for any tips and hints!

btw. -one other question - I have a beamer (1280x720) and a monitor (1280x1024) connected to my ATI card - is there a way to set the system so that I can start with either the monitor or the beamer connected and it starts with the right resolution? Up to know, whenever i start with only the beamer connecte the screen resolution is at 1280x1024 even though the [Auto] option in the systemsettings says it should be 1280x720...

Thanks! Günter

Reply with quote Back to top
muchan
Post subject: RE: Optimize Aptosid for (very) fast startup  PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 15:52

My idea is, whatever long time it may boot, only if you can set that
the hibernate or suspend to memory works ok, you don't need to shutdown
the system often, and you can start (wake up) the system immediately.

GünterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 19:10

thanks for the quick reply and good idea, however, the computer is at my parents home, which means i use it only about once every weekend and when it is shut down, a device switches of the power - so there is no standby.
- and yes i know, if i am only using it so seldomly i could as well take the time and wait 30sec more, but hey, i like systemhacking, so... Smile

sx9Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 20.02.2011, 21:47

Remove unused ttys:

Open /etc/inittab
Comment unneeded ttys with # or Remond Somerset ttys from certain runlevels.

Example:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
#5:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
#6:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

Syntax:

<Number>:<runlevels>:/sbin/getty 38400 tty<Number>

Reduce swappiness:

Edit /etc/sysctl and add the line
vm.swappiness=10

This will cause your kernel to swap only 10% of your memory data to your harddisk.
Edit the value, if you are not satisfied.

You can also use readahead, this slows down your boot process a bit at the beginning, but accellerates the start of other applications and (boot-)services.

Use sysv-rc-conf to disable unused daemons (or update-rc.d <daemon> stop/start).

At last, don't forget to reprofile your boot:

Simply add "profile" to your boot commandline and boot (one-time fix)

2x4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 6770
OCZ Vertex 3 60GB (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB (HDD)
aptosid x86_64

Jump to: