View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
finottiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 01:22

Here we go:

• Do you need the nvidia driver for private use?

I don't really *need* it, but I like its performance and some effects.

• Do you need the nvidia driver for your job?

No.

• Would at this point the 'nouveau' driver be a solution for you instead of 'nvidia'?

I think I'll stick with "nvidia" a bit longer, but I am hoping noveau will reach a state where 3D works well.

• Does the fact that the 'nvidia' driver is not free, mean anything to you?

Yes. I would prefer a open driver and hope that noveau will solve that problem.

Luis

Reply with quote Back to top
drbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 07:53

Same as finotti

muchan
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 08:38

Quote:

Quote:

• Would at this point the 'nouveau' driver be a solution for you instead of 'nvidia'?

I did not have time to try yet, since aptosid kernel was enabled for it.

I tried this morning, and nouveau works OK, without xorg.conf
It works without removing "nv" (from frickel repo), too. So now I have two free fallbacks.

So, the answer for the 3rd question. "Yes"

SordonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 11:45

Do you need the nvidia driver for private use?
Yes.

Do you need the nvidia driver for your job?
No

Would at this point the 'nouveau' driver be a solution for you instead of 'nvidia'?
No, because I need the 3D functionality of nvidia (e.g. games and Google Earth). Additionally I like the desktop effects of KDE very much and I do not want to miss them. In case nouveau offers me the same features I could change my display driver.

Does the fact that the 'nvidia' driver is not free, mean anything to you?
Actually as long nvidia delivers me what I need I don't care if it is free or not.

broweOffline
Post subject: Re: Poll on usage of free and proprietary drivers for Nvidia  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 15:07

Yes. I do make use of the nvidia 3d, vdpau, and openGL for games, burning movies, and image editing.

Yes, however my employer provides me with XP and an nvidia video card. I also work from home and use aptosid with nvidia drivers.

No, it would slow down my work flow.

No. I bought the nvidia hardware and as long as they provide the software I'm happy. That said, I would prefer to run an open source driver if the performance is equal (or hopefully better). Full integration into debian would be the best option so that development isn't out of step at every kernel release or xorg update. I suggest aptosid should try to work with nouveau and still provide support for nvidia, vesa and nv. Giving the user options empowers the user to make a choice!

P.S. Many thanks to towo for keeping things working. And thank you aptosid team for polling the users.

merlynOffline
Post subject: Re: Poll on usage of free and proprietary drivers for Nvidia  PostPosted: 21.02.2011, 18:49

devil wrote:
Yes. Primarily for gaming.
      devil wrote:
No. However, I do find some of the Window Management features of Kwin with desktop effects enabled useful, though unessential.
      devil wrote:
No. I work from home and use the same PC for 'work' and 'private' purposes.
      devil wrote:
It does indeed.

Wouldn't it be great if Nvidia were to adopt a more collaborative approach with the Open source community and relicense their drivers accordingly?

Hell will most likely freeze over first.

spacepenguinOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Poll on usage of free and proprietary drivers fo  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 03:03

oduffo wrote:

- as long as "non-free" is better than "free" I'll go for "non-free"

I absolutely agree.

KDE4 without compositing looks ugly to me, googleearth needs 3D acceleration, so do some linux games I like to play.

And because KDE4 does not and will never support fake transparency I will always use the proprietary nvidia driver as long as nouveau cannot handle compositing (kwin effects, panel transparency).

BelaLugosiOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Poll on usage of free and proprietary driver  PostPosted: 22.02.2011, 16:38

@spacepenguin
Full Ack! That's exactly my point of view too.

gutterslobOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 23.02.2011, 17:24

Yes. I watch a lot of HD video and really like it's VDPAU acceleration (proprietary driver)

Not particularly. I do work in the graphic arts/design field, but most of the apps I use on Linux currently don't support GPU acceleration, though that might change in future.

If by 'nvidia' you mean the proprietary driver, then no. I still think the nouveau driver is still some ways behind.

In an ideal world, I would appreciate the idea of my system running on 100% FOSS software, but I do understand Nvidia's position on not wanting to Open Source their driver either. One thing you might want to note is that, while Nvidia's proprietary drivers are closed source, they still provide the best performance at this time.

Basically, I'll use whichever driver gives a better balance between performance reliability. At this point in time, it's the proprietary one.

LatOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Poll on usage of free and proprietary drivers fo  PostPosted: 26.02.2011, 12:00

I'm with oduffo and spacepenguin.

When nouveau can support transparency effects I will gladly remove the nvidia driver. Too bad that when I bought this laptop, nvidia was a better solution than ati at the time. Intel support wasn't as mature as nowdays

ShakaZOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.04.2011, 14:32

Yes, gaming, firefox 4 GPU acceleration, google earth
No, so far my jobs have been windows only environments with tools unable to run in wine and desktop linux not supported by the IT department.
No, nouveau lacks too many features to be an acceptable replacement.
Yes I'd rather be using free software, but it has to offer a comparable or better experience. I don't mind losing some functionality as long as I can use the free software to a satisfying degree. I know of many software which offer more features or are easier to use in the windows world, yet I stick to debian as almost all the things I use a PC for I can do in it. I do still have a windows partition lying around which I fire up once or twice a year in extreme cases.
I really hope the open source drivers will one day soon achieve parity with the closed ones, yet I think this will take some more years if it ever happens. As the recent AMD opening up to deliver critical information on their graphics hardware has shown, the open drivers for their systems are still far from being on par with their closed driver in all but a few use cases. I just wish Nvidia sees the light and decides to open their driver.
Of course if the free AMD drivers reach the level of the Catalyst driver and user experience is good, that's where my money will go the next time Cool

piperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 13.04.2011, 21:54

I'm with oduffo and spacepenguin also

jacmoeOffline
Post subject: Re: Poll on usage of free and proprietary drivers for Nvidia  PostPosted: 13.04.2011, 22:12

Code:
Do you need the nvidia driver for private use?

Yes, due to the fact that I do 3D programming. Must have.
      Code:
Do you need the nvidia driver for your job?

I wish I had a job which required me to, but no.
      Code:
Would at this point the 'nouveau' driver be a solution for you instead of 'nvidia'?

No. I rely on the best possible 3D performance my card can give me.
      Code:
Does the fact that the 'nvidia' driver is not free, mean anything to you?

Not personally.
I mean: I bought the card..
All I care about is a driver which works.
I respect the Debian / FSF train of thought, though. Wink

hunkirdowneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 18.04.2011, 23:18

A little late to the party, but...

No. nouveau is good for me.

Use a not-so-alternative operating system, so no.

Absolutely.

Yes it does. Don't get me wrong. I use proprietary stuff when I cannot find an appropriate alternative and determine that I need the services provided by the proprietary driver(s). For instance, I use the broadcom 'wl' module for my PCMCIA wireless interface (BCM4321).

However, if I find a free alternative I will try it because I believe in the concept from a philosophical perspective as well as a practical perspective.

I did not originally have much of a choice as the nouveau driver was installed with no alternative (I know I could have done more work to make it 'nv', but I wanted to see how it ran). Lo and behold, I have had much less problem with nouveau than I did with 'nv' so for me it is not only a philosophical choice, but a very practical one.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 Mobile CPU 1.70GHz, 512MiB RAM, 27GiB (30GB) Hitachi ATA HDD, USB v1.1, and IEEE 1394 (Thank God! Wink).

Aptosid (nee Sidux) has run quite well on this machine even when other KDE4-enabled distros would not (including squeeze when it was in testing). Debian Lenny w/ KDE 3.5 runs great. GNOME and even Xfce have been rather challenging and I just haven't quite gotten used to LXDE or Fluxbox.

Bottom line: noveau fan from day 1.

se7enOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 19.04.2011, 03:22

Why are you still voting?
My impression was the devil started this poll in order to find out if the aptosid kernel should still support Nvidia.
Almost everybody says "I would use an alternative if there was a working one, BUT there isn't so please keep it in or at least give us a choice". Since that didn't happen ... whats the point?

Jump to: