View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
delta9Offline
Post subject: [Solved] Partitioning the hard drive  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 18:18

Hello,
it has been some time since i had a working system (http://aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=698&highlight=) i got a new notebook and ready to install aptosid again. My problem is how to manage partitions. My disk looks like this at the moment:

1. 200MB BOOT PRIMARY, ntfs
2. 420GB PRIMARY, ntfs (main win7 partition)
3. Extended 30GB
LOGICAL 30GB, ntfs (notebook drivers and partition for lenovo one key rescue system application)
4. 14.75GB OEM PRIMARY

Because of the nature of my job i need to run some win_only_applications. So i want to have a dual boot system. In my current disk i want to fit in a
1. "/"ext4
2. "/home" ext4
3. "/data" xfs (storage, music, movies)
4. (swap if needed)

I dont know what the boot partition is for and how to fit a linux installation in my hard drive.
I guess i will also have to keep the OEM partition since i paid for it.

Any partitioning scenarios would be appreciated,
thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by delta9 on 28.02.2011, 14:17; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 20:41

You'll need to use the built-in Windows System Maintenance > Admin > Computer Management > "disk management" tool to shrink the 420G Windows partition, to make free space. I don't know how much you need for Windows, so I can't say how much you dare to free up.

Once you have free space, then you can use the partition manager on the aptosid Live CD, or else you could use a GParted Live CD or a Parted Magic Live CD, to make your Linux partitions in the "unallocated" space that you freed up.

I don't think XFS is a recommended filesystem for laptops. Check the manual -- I think ext4 is the recommended filesystem type for general purpose installations.

You won't need much swap space, unless you plan to "Suspend to Disk", so you can keep that under 1GB.

I would say separate "/home" and "/data" partitions is overkill, especially on a laptop. I personally leave "/home" with the root filesystem (this means you need some extra space for downloads, etc.), and then keep my user data on a separate partition, and symlink my "MUSIC", "DOCS", "PIX", etc. in to the /home/user folder, but that is certainly a matter of taste. Hope this is helpful.

seagullOffline
Post subject: RE: Partitioning the hard drive  PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 20:59

Some global hints:

1. Do a backup on a external disk drive !!!
2. Try to save the oem things to dvd's (In my case I've done this with an acer laptop and included acer Tools) to be prepared for a bare metall recovery.

We see already 3 primary partions on your disk this is the possible max. you can't extend this.

3. Shrink the 2nd 400GB ntfs by min 15 GB on the upper end for aptosid. I don't know your space requirements in the 2nd part. but in my eyes 15 GB should be the min. for aptosid. Possibly you can shrink by 200GB ...its your decision.

4. Extend the 3rd partion on the lower end to eat up the space won in step 3.

5. Create min 2. logical partitions (root 13 GB, swap 2GB) in the now grown extended partition.

6. Install aptosid.

Remarks: I see no reason to use xfs, there is no real advantage in a desktop environment. If you like try to separate data and system in general make a root part. and a combined home/data part. Its also possible to use a manually created swap-file instead of a partition.

delta9Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 25.02.2011, 22:57

Thanks a lot for your answers.
Do i need to keep the boot partition?
Id really like to have the "/" on a primary partition.
As far as the xfs is concerned from my experience, xfs is way much faster on handling large files than ext4.

diblOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.02.2011, 02:22

Leave the NTFS "boot" partition alone -- it is only for Win 7. Install all of aptosid in the new space that you free up from Windows. Then let grub install on the mbr of the hard drive, and you will have your choice of Windows or Linux to boot.

I don't know what "large files" you are going to handle on a netbook. XFS will probably work, but ext4 is completely satisfactory -- I don't know about any benchmark that shows it is significantly slower than XFS.

kb0haeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.02.2011, 07:57

On my IBM T42 (60 gig HD) I have 4 primary partitions.
1. Win XP PRO on an 18 gig fat32
2. Aptosid on an 18 gig ext3
3. 21 gig data on a fat32 (so it can ce accessed by both OSs)
4. 1 gig Linux swap

All partition sizes are approximate as listed in Aptosid. I bought the laptop used, with a wiped HD. I could download the iso to burn a restore CD, but I don't see a need, as I have all the WinXP drivers downloaded and copied to CD. My data partition is backed up via flash drive to a desktop system, and burned to DVD often.

I neither know nor care about Win7, as I have no intention of buying or running it I only have XP for some games and a few other Win-only apps.

dptOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 26.02.2011, 08:28

As NTFS too can be accessed(R or R/W) by aptosid, I have stopped using FAT32.
NTFS for data partitions.

delta9Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: 28.02.2011, 14:17

i deleted the OEM and drivers partition and shrink the windoz partition. So, i found some space for a primary root and home partition, both of them ext4.
(i also made a system recovery dvd from a lenovo tool, just in case...)

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

Jump to: